Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2019, 09:19 AM   #1
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Adding Discord to profile section

I was just looking at my profile and noticed the sections for social media and the instant messenger apps. I see that AIM/YIM/Skype/ICQ (thank you for that last one, I had to go and figure out what my ICQ number actually was so I could add it...) which are all, for the most part, as far as I'm aware, discontinued instant messengers, with the exception of Skype. I'm pretty sure Microsoft is still pushing Skype and that it still has a decent user base as it is included with Windows 10. I also have a business Skype account from work as it's included in Office365. Sadly, it's not one I generally log into.

Discord however, is one I'm logged into on my PC, my phone, my laptop, pretty much everywhere. I'm sure there's probably quite a few others here that do so as well. Especially if they are also gamers or watch streamers as most gamers/streamers use Discord.

There are probably some other options out there that have a large number of users, but I'm not sure what they are or how they work in regards to unique usernames.

12-06-2019, 02:01 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I reckon AIM/y!/etc are more of an artifact of when the original forum software was developed, and I wonder what the "right" approach would be. Not to say it couldn't be adapted for Discord, but perhaps it would be too limiting?
12-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I didnt know ICQ was still in use!
12-06-2019, 05:07 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fsge Quote
I didnt know ICQ was still in use!
Me neither! When I had an ICQ account, AOL was still sending CDs in the mail so you could log into their dial-up service.

12-06-2019, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Me neither! When I had an ICQ account, AOL was still sending CDs in the mail so you could log into their dial-up service.
I was upset when they stopped sending floppy disks I could reuse...
12-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I was upset when they stopped sending floppy disks I could reuse...
After upgrading Microsoft Word for Windows 6.0 twice, I didn't need any more floppies. 48 posts to go.
12-06-2019, 09:42 PM   #7
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was cleaning some stuff up the other day and came across the floppy disk that contained my final project for my DOS class in college. Over at my parents' house, I know the folder that contains all the stuff from my Eagle project also has a floppy disk as well.

12-06-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adding new fields isn't an issue (beyond making sure they don't get abused by spammers), but believe it or not, the AIM and Yahoo Messenger fields are baked into the forum software and are not easy to get rid of.

We are getting closer to migrating the forum to an entirely new platform, and at this point most user profiles will be overhauled.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
No sense adding anything at this point if a migration/overhaul is coming up. But perhaps maybe keep it under consideration for the new platform?