Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 36 Likes Search this Thread
12-28-2019, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #31
Total n00b Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm one of the curve breakers on this sort of question. I apparently joined on Valentine's Day in 2012 and posted in Welcomes and Introductions. I then posted one more time a few days later. Jump forward to November of 2019 and that's when I actually really started participating in the forums.

12-29-2019, 03:32 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I'm not sure I'm even in the competition. Anyway, rich old gear freaks like me can buy their own
Lol in that case, got any goodies you want to donate to an impoverished pentaxian? Oh, BTW, did those stickers get there?
12-29-2019, 03:37 AM - 2 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
BTW, did those stickers get there?
Yes! I meant to get back to you about that. I now have three formats (645Z, K-1 Mark II and KP) adorned with AOCo prisms
12-29-2019, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes! I meant to get back to you about that. I now have three formats (645Z, K-1 Mark II and KP) adorned with AOCo prisms
Lol I also have a cup and a note counting machine, and when it arrives, a Fuji xe1 lolol

---------- Post added 12-29-19 at 10:27 AM ----------

My KP is silver and you can't see it on that. They do look rather splendid don't they lol

---------- Post added 12-29-19 at 10:37 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I never did any kind of introductory post, myself. I probably launched my participation with some question or other. One of the things I find most interesting and valuable here is that no one knows everything, and everyone has his own peculiar and particular interests. So the same person may be an expert on one angle of the craft, and ignorant in another. People pontificate on the stuff they're knowledgable about, and ask questions about what they're not. It's a good and generous method.

Another aspect is what I'd call a "low bull***t factor". Most folks who post here, I find, don't have their sense of self at stake in what they know or don't know. When I was in law school, way these many years ago, I was already a software engineer. There was one other guy in the class who had a "real job" - president of a construction firm. He and I were the only people who felt ok about being there, everyone else was too messed up by the competitive atmosphere and the desire for wealth and power. The point is, that being free to talk about what you know about or ask seemingly idiotic questions is a cardinal aspect of the success of this website, I think. No one will hate you they way they will on Facebook, because they're too secure in themselves to be offended by ignorance revealed.

It's an odd phenomenon that I've wondered about. It seems to me that there's a particular kind of person, or set of mental characteristics, or some such, that causes one to be inclined to use Pentax equipment. And whatever that something may be, well, I like Pentax people. So there.
I suspect forums for the mainstream cameras have more lightweights. I have always found this forum to be exceptionally down to earth. The only time you see much tetchiness .... Is that how you spell it? lol, anyway, lack of understanding only rears its head at competition time when the proportion of empty threads, that are little more than post generators, increases exponentially. I guess that is understandable, given that we pride ourselves on our high standards of information, detail and support. Everyone has a place here, which makes this forum very special indeed.

12-29-2019, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #35
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
. . . Everyone has a place here, which makes this forum very special indeed.

exactly
12-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure I'm even in the competition. Anyway, rich old gear freaks like me can buy their own
Is it just me? Does this post/sub thread make sense?? I'm confused...
12-30-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Harry Moto Quote
Is it just me? Does this post/sub thread make sense?? I'm confused...
Digression is a regular component in every thread, and I find attempting to make sense of every post is a pursuit best avoided lol

12-31-2019, 01:19 AM - 3 Likes   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
We have hailed many new members here, and I wonder how many of those new members have become regular participants in the forums.

Strictly as an analytic exercise, I wonder how many off those who posted on the Welcomes and Introductions in 2018 and 2019 revisit and post a picture, question, or comment once a month.
To get back to the original question...looking at those users who joined this year and posted at least once, just over a quarter of them posted again 30 days (or more) after their initial post.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-31-2019, 02:33 AM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To get back to the original question...looking at those users who joined this year and posted at least once, just over a quarter of them posted again 30 days (or more) after their initial post.
That's actually quite a good ratio I guess the ones we notice are the core posters. It is good to know that the stats suggest we get keepers. So, how many members are there? Maybe we need to put the answer in the "are we really that rare" thread lol
12-31-2019, 04:28 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
looking at those users who joined this year and posted at least once, just over a quarter of them posted again 30 days (or more) after their initial post.
Thanks for providing an answer, Adam.
12-31-2019, 04:59 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Back then, very few of us had in-depth knowledge of our Pentax dSLRs, so the barrier to posting on technical subjects was quite low.
That was my take back when I joined in. No need for an intro, just dive in.
12-31-2019, 10:02 PM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
I lurked for a few weeks, never posted a welcome thread.
Neither have I, maybe I should post one now...
01-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Pro Lurker, Followed Rupert here after he suggested it. Don't believe I ever did an Intro. Rarely post.
01-03-2020, 04:25 AM - 1 Like   #44
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I looked back and I never introduced myself. Just had a question and posted it and then went from there. I'm sure, as with everything else, there are different levels of comfort for people in how active they want to be. The big thing is that whatever skill level and background, they feel OK participating with the rest of us.
01-04-2020, 12:30 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think I did a brief intro, but when I joined there were no competitions running