Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-11-2020, 12:52 PM   #1

A question about selling on Forum

Hopefully this thread is in the right place.

Looking to sell off some of my excess equipment.

Have bought and sold over the years on Ebay and have good feedback scores there, but havent sold here. Ebay has become increasingly your partner rather than a middleman and I am tired of that. I know the importance of feedback as it keeps buyer and seller honest and forthright. How does one begin to sell on the forum without a reputation here?

Hard to know how to start

Steve

01-11-2020, 01:16 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well we all start somewhere

I'd say at first allow Paypal sales, or some form of sales where the buyer has some sort of guarantee that they will be able to get their money back if something goes wrong. I say this because some older members use money orders, and I've made a sale here that way (at the buyer's suggestion) - but that brings a bit more risk if you don't know the person. You usually have to eat the Paypal fees (unless you are brave enough to make others pay for it - I'm not...) but it's worth it to get your reputation up.

Other than that, become a regular poster, that way people know you better.
01-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #3

Sales are done through the Market Place section which has a feedback system. As noted above you have to start somewhere. You had to start from scratch on eBay.
01-11-2020, 02:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Referencing your ebay profile, and providing clear item descriptions, is the way to go. If you accept Paypal, there's little reason someone would then be discouraged to purchase from you, because of the built-in protections that it offers.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-11-2020, 03:20 PM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

All good advice so far, but I'll add that complete, honest descriptions of items and their condition are always appreciated, and help both you and the potential buyer, as do numerous photographs in helping to confirm condition (especially since one person's view of "mint" or "as new" is sometimes different than another's).

From my own point of view, I always shy away from equipment that is dirty or hasn't been well prepared for sale - unless, that is, it's very cheap. It takes a only a few minutes to wipe a camera or lens with a damp cloth and perhaps use a cotton bud or two to get rid of dirt and dead skin from cracks and crevices - but it makes such a big difference and gives the impression of well-looked-after gear... which, typically, fetches better prices
01-12-2020, 09:12 AM   #6

Original Poster
Many thanks for your advice. Will reference my ebay profile (which is substantial), use Paypal and of course good description and photos are essential.

Thanks again

Steve