Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2020, 07:00 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Marketplace manners and protocol

A sticky at the top of "for sale" section suggesting manners and protocol for sales interactions would be wise. I know some of these things can't be rules, but I can tell you that I use the marketplace a lot less these days than I used to in the past, and it is 100% because of unprofessional sellers.

Last year I encountered a massive price increase after the seller and I agreed on a price, and I had allready agreed to purchase the item.

Recently I told a seller I was interested in an item. they responded that it was still available. A couple hours later I asked them for "where to send the money" information, and they told me it had just sold to someone else.

Honestly I'd rather deal with KEH prices or eBay drama than wrestle with this malarkey.

02-11-2020, 12:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I think it's all about falling revenue.If I understand you correctly.People want to earn more.It's simple.
02-11-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

On other forums/platforms I'm involved in there's a rule that you should comment on the sales thread to say 'PM sent regarding ... item' or similar, so there is a documented timeline. It helps solidify pricing and helps the seller direct their attention to the person who showed interest first, rather than who can respond fastest.

If people are consistently flaky, or ducking out of sales after showing interest, then they can be reprimanded.
02-11-2020, 03:17 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Let's hope that this is a temporary phenomenon.

02-11-2020, 06:07 AM - 1 Like   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Benz3ne

if I am interested in buying, I post " PM sent " and send a PM

However, if I am just asking a question privately but haven't decided to buy, I contact the seller via PM but I don't put " PM sent " in the sale thread

this is a courtesy to the seller so other potential buyers don't think that there is a potential buyer ahead of them

the few times I have tried to sell

I deal with the first person who contacted me but if that potential sale drops, I indicate in the sale thread the item is still for sale

I will not reach an agreement and then try to change it.

I remember fondly a lens I purchased where I was the first to contact the seller

he agreed to allow me a delay to travel to KC and try the lens out before finalizing the deal.

there was a lot of interest in that lens and its price ( the owner had to clear out his photo gear because of health issues )

and I know that he got offers to buy during the 2 day delay but he kept his bargain with me

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-11-2020 at 08:06 AM.
02-11-2020, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

There will always be less than stellar buyers and sellers. On the other hand, the vast majority of people here are helpful, honest and forthcoming.
02-11-2020, 07:18 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Honestly I'd rather deal with KEH prices or eBay drama than wrestle with this malarkey.
It's unfortunate that you've had a couple of disappointing interactions. Fortunately, there are other options to buy and sell, as you indicate.

In the first instance, if the seller raised the selling price after a price had been agreed, then I believe that's poor manners or dishonesty on the seller's part. In this type of situation, I suppose one could post something in the seller's thread along the lines of 'Seller increased the price after an agreement was reached'.

Edit: The Marketplace rules prohibit posting negative comments outside of the 'Feedback' system:
No buyer/seller feedback
We have a dedicated feedback system for this purpose.
While positive comments are naturally allowed, do not use them as a replacement for leaving feedback through our system.

I think that the second instance raises a question of how to manage the timeline in a sale. I don't think sellers and buyers should be expected to monitor the sales thread or private messages continuously, so there will be delays in reading messages and reaching an agreement. So which buying party should get the item -- the one who indicates 'interest' first leading to a couple of hours to finalize the details, or the one who first commits hard to the purchase?

I would think that a couple of hours is a reasonable period in which to settle a transaction with an 'interested' buyer. While that communication takes place, other prospective buyers may be placed in a queue. The question is, how much time should a seller allow to the first interested party? And, what action constitutes the first show of 'interest' -- posting "PM sent" in the seller's thread, or sending a private message? Is the 'PM sent' indicator necessary?

I'm not sure that eBay offers a better environment. There's still the issue of communication delays and the potential of winning bidders disappearing.

In my opinion, the Pentax Forums Marketplace presents a generally fair, honest, and amicable place to sell and buy. Folks seem to get along well, and we even see frequent instances of non-buyers 'vouching' for an item or a seller. I'm not sure that hard 'rules' or protocols would improve an already-favourable place.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-11-2020 at 09:30 AM. Reason: correction on posting negative comments
02-11-2020, 08:00 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
It's unfortunate that you've had a couple of disappointing interactions. Fortunately, there are other options to buy and sell, as you indicate.

In the first instance, if the seller raised the selling price after a price had been agreed, then I believe that's poor manners or dishonesty on the seller's part. . . .

- Craig
if I was trying to deal with a buyer who agreed to a price for an item then insisted in increasing the price

I would report the incident to the mods

not sure how they could enforce the first price but perhaps they could ban the seller from the marketplace

QuoteQuote:
8. Is bidding allowed?
No. All items being sold must by coupled with an asking price, although negotiation and best offers are allowed.
Read more at: READ FIRST: How to list items - marketplace rules - condition key - feedback guide - PentaxForums.com

QuoteQuote:
Complaints about transactions should be sent directly to the staff via the moderator contact form.
Read more at: READ FIRST: How to list items - marketplace rules - condition key - feedback guide - PentaxForums.com

as far as how long to allow " negotiations " I think that should be left up to an agreement between a buyer and seller. once a time limit is agreed to, I don't think that should be changed.
02-11-2020, 08:30 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If the person has a lot of good feedback, expect decency (and give negative feedback if you don't get it). If they have no feedback, manage your expectations accordingly and use caution -- you see something you like, but don't assume that the item is "yours" -- you may need a bit of luck to successfully buy it and receive it and have it be as described (and leave positive or negative feedback as appropriate).
02-11-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you are on a sales thread, their feedback score is displayed on their profile and is a direct link to the detailed feedback.
02-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I have only had positive experiences buying here on the marketplace.

You win some, you lose some.
02-11-2020, 09:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
If the person has a lot of good feedback, expect decency (and give negative feedback if you don't get it). If they have no feedback, manage your expectations accordingly and use caution -- you see something you like, but don't assume that the item is "yours" -- you may need a bit of luck to successfully buy it and receive it and have it be as described (and leave positive or negative feedback as appropriate).
My understanding is that you are not to leave feedback unless you are either the buyer or seller. Both transactions I listed, and a few others, I was essentially shoved away mid transaction. Can I still leave feedback under those circumstances?

---------- Post added 02-11-20 at 08:18 AM ----------

I would like to point out that my suggestion was simply to make a sticky regarding decorum, without changing the rules. Some of the participants in this thread seem allergic to my sticky idea, and I can’t understand why.
02-11-2020, 09:41 AM   #13
Pentaxian

My understanding is that you are not to leave feedback unless you are either the buyer or seller. Both transactions I listed, and a few others, I was essentially shoved away mid transaction. Can I still leave feedback under those circumstances?
Yeah, in that case I'd do it anyway and let the mods sort it out if they have a problem. Or just complain directly to a mod and maybe they'll get rid of that person.

QuoteQuote:
I would like to point out that my suggestion was simply to make a sticky regarding decorum, without changing the rules. Some of the participants in this thread seem allergic to my sticky idea, and I can’t understand why.
Not at all, sticky away. But beyond it being something to point you after something negative has happened, I don't think it will change anyone's bad behavior. People behave like jerks because they are jerks, not because someone forgot to tell them not to.
02-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Fair enough. I guess the subject of Marketplace problems attracts a variety of viewpoints and thoughts.

The Marketplace guide has a point related to decorum:

Conduct: Users of the Marketplace agree to conduct themselves honestly, act in good faith, and comply with all laws at all times, including sale of goods and intellectual property laws.

It seems that you've encountered a number of negative interactions. Would you mind suggesting a couple of specific additional points concerning decorum that could be considered? May I ask what sort of guidelines might have prevented the problems that you experienced?

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 02-11-2020 at 09:50 AM.
02-11-2020, 09:45 AM   #15
Pentaxian

I'm watching this topic. You're talking about morality. And you are told in response - what is not forbidden is allowed. I hope Yandex translated correctly.