Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I spent the last day or so with my IP address apparently blocked

Traceroute dead-ended at HostRocket's edge router. I finally was able to resolve by using curl to the non-ssh http://www.pentaxforums.com which returned a fairly cryptic notice that my IP address was being blocked by the host networks firewall. My address at the time:

I rebooted my DSL router to get a new outside address and now everything is fine. Any clues as to what happened and why? I posted a comment to a thread and it failed twice with HTTP 404 and then the whole site was unreachable.

Steve

02-20-2020, 07:36 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I encountered a similar problem in January 2020. I was able to enquire to the admin through Pentax Forums on my smartphone cellular service.

I was directed to the following information:

Help: 404 error messages followed by inability to access PF - PentaxForums.com

I was able to clear the IP block at the host server end (I forget which online site I used to do that). I didn't figure out exactly what caused the blockage, but it happened shortly after I had posted an article on PF, which included several images. At one point, I though I noticed a slight glitch in the process. Who knows.

- Craig
02-20-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It just started again with an attempt to comment to the thread below:

Dumb question about Lightroom and raw files - PentaxForums.com

Any attempt to post or view the comment results in HTTP 404.

Steve
02-21-2020, 05:32 AM   #4
Journeyman Cat Wrangler
Loyal Site Supporter

I had a similar thing happen, and it was because I tried to repost a comment after it failed to post for some reason, then my attempts to re-submit were looked at as an attempt to inject code. There was a problem with the link I tried to submit so it did not fit the parameters of a normal post with link. multiple attempts can trip a firewall also.

02-21-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
dlh
F.O.G. (fat old geezer)
Loyal Site Supporter

It's because spammers and/or hackers were spoofing your IP address and the InterNet watchdog bots acted to shut down the malicious communications - but because the bad guys have been using your IP address, that's the address that got blocked.
02-21-2020, 10:00 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you encounter a 404 error on a page that shouldn't normally present such an error, it's best not to resubmit, as this is indicative that the firewall isn't happy about something. Shoot me a PM, or send an email to contactpf, and I or someone else will be able to determine what happened and how to resolve the issue. Same goes if your IP was blocked. The thread linked in post #2 provides more details on other possible solutions.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-21-2020, 10:01 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
I had a similar thing happen, and it was because I tried to repost a comment after it failed to post for some reason, then my attempts to re-submit were looked at as an attempt to inject code. There was a problem with the link I tried to submit so it did not fit the parameters of a normal post with link. multiple attempts can trip a firewall also.
That is my understanding as well, though I can't imagine what in the comment might have triggered the flag.

Steve