Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2020, 02:16 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Single film sub-forum

Hi all, a suggestion if you will.

Can we make the 'Pentax SLR Film Discussion' forum the 'Film Camera Discussion' forum? Ie. not explicitly Pentax-specific?

My reasoning - in practice it already is. Long running, popular and active threads like this one, this one and this one, feature numerous posts with photos taken of, or with, non-Pentax gear. No one seems to mind (on the contrary, many members shoot film with multiple systems), and it helps keep the forum active and vibrant.

The only issue seems to be if a thread is actually started about a non-Pentax film camera. For instance, this one which was moved to the 'Non-Pentax Cameras' sub-forum. Ironically, if the same post had been made directly into the 'Gear P0rn' thread above, it would have stayed put and everyone would have been happy as Larry.

The Film Discussion forum is one of my favourite places on the interwebs for film chat, and and I think that keeping all the film chat in the one place will only help to grow what is a wonderful community.

Tah

03-07-2020, 08:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With today's renewed interest in film photography
I think it would be a great idea to add a group of film sub-forums.

Chris
03-07-2020, 08:34 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
With today's renewed interest in film photography
I think it would be a great idea to add a group of film sub-forums.

Chris
Might be a better idea to open a specific brand and format agnostic film Photography Forum - probably in the Photography Domain - rather than trying to wedge brand sub-Forums into Pentax Film SLR Discussion. There’s already one Film Forum there (Film Processing, Scanning and Darkroom}.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-07-2020 at 08:44 AM.
03-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Admins, any thoughts on this?

When I posted the OP I wasn’t aware of the Film Processing sub-forum mentioned by Monochrome... How about one designated space for all the film users on PF?

03-04-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Just so I understand correctly, the suggestion is to add a section for non-Pentax film cameras or allow this discussion in the existing film forum so that such topics can all be on one place?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax Film SLR forum has always had discussion of third party K-mount SLRs it seems to me.
03-04-2021, 08:07 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The Pentax Film SLR forum has always had discussion of third party K-mount SLRs it seems to me.
That sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-22-2021, 04:54 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Just so I understand correctly, the suggestion is to add a section for non-Pentax film cameras or allow this discussion in the existing film forum so that such topics can all be on one place?
Sorry Adam, I didn't realise you had replied to this thread.

My idea, which has changed slightly from the OP, is to have a single, dedicated Film sub forum. I would do this by merging the existing Pentax Film SLR and Film Processing, Scanning and Darkroom subs, and making the whole lot brand-agnostic.

In practice, the Pentax Film SLR sub is already brand-agnostic, and the threads I mentioned in the OP see a huge amount of posts about non-Pentax cameras. This traffic helps to keep the community active and vibrant.

Likewise, I think the Film Processing topics would get a lot more traffic if they were in the same place as the camera discussion. There is already a lot of discussion about film types, processing techniques etc. in threads on the Film SLR sub, but the actual Film Processing sub is fairly quiet, only seeing posts every few days.
05-22-2021, 06:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

What would be the advantage for the PentaxForum if Pentax film camera topics get mixed with non-Pentax film topics?
The categories are used to separate different topics, so that specific problems can be found more easily.
05-24-2021, 12:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
What would be the advantage for the PentaxForum if Pentax film camera topics get mixed with non-Pentax film topics?
The categories are used to separate different topics, so that specific problems can be found more easily.
The advantage is a thriving film community on Pentax Forums. From my observations, many (most?) members who are active in the current Pentax Film SLR sub use multiple systems from multiple brands. As mentioned in the OP, there is already a great deal of discussion about non-Pentax film gear in the forum. However, whenever an actual 'thread' is started about something non-Pentax it gets moved elsewhere.

I understand the point of seperate categories, however I suspect for many users today, the category is 'film'. Having film topics spread across at least three sub forums, in three seperate sections of PF (Pentax Film SLR, Non-Pentax and Film Processing), makes it *less* easy to find stuff, not more easy.
05-24-2021, 06:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The advantage would be for existing PF members who now post their non-Pentax film stuff in the non-Pentax sub-forum. My take has been that most of the activity in the current Pentax Film SLR forum is from users who have broad and deep knowledge across brands.

As for the suggestion...I support broadening the Pentax Film SLR forum, but probably without changing the name. I don't support merging the darkroom and film processing forum.

Steve
05-25-2021, 10:56 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looking at the current film & film processing/technique forums, the discussions appear recent and quite different in terms of scope, so that leaves us with the issue of the non-Pentax section, where the introduction of a "film" prefix might help users quickly identify relevant threads. Thoughts?

Adam

05-26-2021, 04:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Looking at the current film & film processing/technique forums, the discussions appear recent and quite different in terms of scope, so that leaves us with the issue of the non-Pentax section, where the introduction of a "film" prefix might help users quickly identify relevant threads. Thoughts?
Fair enough regarding the existing film processing forum, I don't object to that remaining as is.

My strong preference regarding camera discussion would be to make the 'Pentax FIlm SLR Discussion' sub open to discussion of other brands, acknowledging and formalising the way it is already been used by most members. That's where most of the film users hang out, and I don't think anyone would object to discussion of non-Pentax film gear (there's always going to be a Pentax focus regardless).

I would leave the 'Non-Pentax Cameras' sub for digital discussion.
05-27-2021, 04:41 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Looking at the current film & film processing/technique forums, the discussions appear recent and quite different in terms of scope, so that leaves us with the issue of the non-Pentax section, where the introduction of a "film" prefix might help users quickly identify relevant threads.

Thoughts?
I'd look at the topics inside the "Film Processing, Scanning, and Darkroom" Forum and did spot a lot film-related topics which are not related to development.

Many film topics are also posted throughout the forum, like in "Troubleshooting and Beginner Help".
So with an adittional new subforum, film-topics would be scattered over at least four different subforums.

So how about renaming the existing forum to Analog film and use it for everything about films (types, selection, development, darkroom, scanning)?
And creating an "Non-Pentax Film SLR discussion" forum?

Different icons in front of the subforums could help Users to find what the're looking for.
Because currently everywhere only this icon is displayed:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/images/digitalvb/pentax_red/statusicon/forum_new.png
05-28-2021, 11:01 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
My strong preference regarding camera discussion would be to make the 'Pentax FIlm SLR Discussion' sub open to discussion of other brands, acknowledging and formalising the way it is already been used by most members. That's where most of the film users hang out, and I don't think anyone would object to discussion of non-Pentax film gear (there's always going to be a Pentax focus regardless).
I think this would make a lot of sense while also being the simplest solution. Might add the qualification that new threads started in that forum should at least have some relationship to Pentax SLRs.

Adam