Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 02:10 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Paypal Friends and family solictations.

I am seeing more and more listings asking for buyer to pay the seller Paypal fee, or soliciting use of 'Paypal Friends and Family', which doesn't allow for disputing transactions is case of a problem.

Asking for the Seller fee is a violation of Paypal Policy. From their site:
"If a seller is asking the buyer to pay the seller's fees - it's against PayPal's Policies - this is called a surcharge and it's clearly pointed out in the PayPal User Agreement. Below is a snippet from the documentation, look for - Accepting Payments From Buyers for Goods and Services.
No surcharges
You agree that you will not impose a surcharge or any other fee for accepting PayPal as a payment method. You may charge a handling fee in connection with the sale of goods or services as long as the "handling" fee does not operate as a surcharge and is not higher than the handling fee you charge for non-PayPal transactions. ("Handling fees" -are common in the ticket sales world.)
If someone is using PayPal, they must follow the Terms in the User Agreement. You may want to not deal with this person."

Maybe this should be banned in the marketplace rules. If seller wishes to recoup the fee, it should be built into the price.

Soliciting use Of Paypal friends and Family is a violation of marketplace rules. (Rule 12).

05-09-2020, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi David

If you see any listings in our Marketplace that request Friends and Family payment, please report them to the moderating team. That's expressly forbidden in our Marketplace rules, in the interests of the buyer's security:
"Asking Price: An asking price or price range must be posted (you may ask for a best offer in addition to your stated price) You may not solicit payment to be made via PayPal as a gift or friends and family payment."
As for sellers asking buyers to pay the PayPal fee, any breach of regulations is between PayPal and the account holder.

If @Adam has anything further to add, I trust he'll comment shortly...
05-10-2020, 02:42 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't really understand the whole "net to me" way of selling an item. Typically, if I am selling something I figure out what Paypal fees and shipping will be and then lump that into the asking price. It isn't that hard to figure it out and buyers like it better. Certainly the Friends and Family payment isn't an option that should be used in any sales situation.