Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2020, 09:42 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Externally-hosted images not showing up in-line

I've been gone from the forums ever since my beloved K-30 died of congenital aperture block disease, but I posted in a thread last night, and the images that I linked to on my private server space did not show up in the thread like they used to. Instead, where the image should be, there is just a hyperlink that says "Click here to view photo". And yet looking at other recent threads, I see people are still able to post photos in-line. What gives?

06-03-2020, 10:20 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I've been gone from the forums ever since my beloved K-30 died of congenital aperture block disease, but I posted in a thread last night, and the images that I linked to on my private server space did not show up in the thread like they used to. Instead, where the image should be, there is just a hyperlink that says "Click here to view photo". And yet looking at other recent threads, I see people are still able to post photos in-line. What gives?
Are you talking about in this thread here: Considering a 43" 4k TV as a monitor - PentaxForums.com

If that's the case, I see your photos just fine. What it will be is that the external site is not HTTPS. The simple solution: In the User Control Panel, there is an option to 'Load Insecure External Photos' - set this to 'Yes' and you should then see your photos in the thread fine.

The less simple solution: configure your server space to use HTTPS, then others will also see images whatever their settings.

Some more info here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/372214-error-emb...ng-others.html

Last edited by bertwert; 06-03-2020 at 08:58 PM.
06-03-2020, 07:53 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In due time, regardless of this setting web browsers (starting with Chrome) are going to start blocking non-HTTPS images if they're embedded on an HTTPS site. I'd definitely recommend migrating/upgrading the hosting platform if it hasn't yet made the transition. The good news is that getting a certificate these days is free and much easier than just a few years ago.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-03-2020, 08:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the information, it really helps.

06-04-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The funny thing is, the pictures are now showing up for me, even though I did not change anything in my profile yet or on my web hosting service.