Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Third Party Lens database Organization

I think there Needs to be better organization of the third part lens database. Just looking at Tokina primes in the screen grab below for example. The order of focal lengths is messing up. It jumps from 105 to 17 to 200 and then 24 and 28 when it should just be in numeric order. I believe its doing this because the focal lengths are being sorted in a "lexicographic" method. For example in a list containing 133 and 4 the 133 will come first dues to it starting with the number 1. I saw a similar thread but it was very old, so I thought id share my thoughts.

07-12-2020, 12:36 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've gone ahead and sorted both the Tokina primes and zooms. In the third-party section, unfortunately this has to be done manually at the moment.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2020, 12:44 PM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've gone ahead and sorted both the Tokina primes and zooms. In the third-party section, unfortunately this has to be done manually at the moment.
Thanks for doing that. And that is unfortunate that you have to do it manually. Any way I can help?
07-12-2020, 02:48 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We are working on restructuring all of the data, which will enable users to provide better info for each lens. Please stay tuned!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-12-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We are working on restructuring all of the data, which will enable users to provide better info for each lens. Please stay tuned!
Nice one Adam. I find the "miscellaneous" lens search very buggy. Any chance of showing more direct links to the more common ones?(Soligor,Fujinon,Chinon,Yashica etc) I realise I am saying this from the perspective of a vintage lens collector.
But hey what a great source of info.
07-12-2020, 09:26 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The goal is to support the same functionality as the genuine Pentax lens search, which now also covers current third-party lenses:

Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Vintage lenses are next in line.

Adam

07-12-2020, 10:58 PM - 1 Like   #7
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That was "likes" 6000 for ya Adam!!

08-09-2020, 01:00 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fireforsave Quote
The order of focal lengths is messing up. It jumps from 105 to 17 to 200 and then 24 and 28 when it should just be in numeric order.
I believe its doing this because the focal lengths are being sorted in a "lexicographic" method.
I saw a similar thread but it was very old, so I thought id share my thoughts.
When you'd see an existing thread, why didn't you used it? There are several threads about this sorting order topic. And all are recent (written or updated 2020):
Lens reviews - Allow Sort - PentaxForums.com
Adding sortable function for user review lists - PentaxForums.com
Sortation order for Tokina zoom lenses in the lens review database - PentaxForums.com
08-13-2020, 09:52 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
when you'd see an existing thread, why didn't you used it? There are several threads about this sorting order topic. And all are recent (written or updated 2020):
lens reviews - allow sort - pentaxforums.com
adding sortable function for user review lists - pentaxforums.com
sortation order for tokina zoom lenses in the lens review database - pentaxforums.com
\_(ツ)_/
08-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fireforsave Quote
🤷
At least the thread/topic keeps on top
08-13-2020, 05:37 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why not put the listing in a table, like what I have done for the sample image archive. It allows an order to be forced for the index. In fact, and I hope resorting the lens reviews doesn't mess this up, I have started putting the links for the lens reviews into the sample archive index, making it a one stop index for all the different threads pertaining to a lens. I have tied in the sample image archive, lens clubs, and now starting on the lens reviews.

Take a look and think about it. Yes it is a manual job, but it works well

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/130-lens-sample-photo-archive/406975-abo...s-section.html
01-06-2021, 04:59 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Why not put the listing in a table, like what I have done for the sample image archive. It allows an order to be forced for the index.
Good idea, i'd already suggested it there:
Sortation order for Tokina zoom lenses in the lens review database - PentaxForums.com