Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2020, 05:57 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't post photos to Pentax Forums... why not?

I joined Pentax Forums a couple months ago. I've put up a few posts and a few lens reviews.
But I cannot find any way to post photos. When clicking on "insert image", it asks for a URL, not for the option to upload an image from my computer.
I've never seen any other online forum operate this way. Why?
At one point I figured out how to upload to "my" gallery on Pentax Forums, which presumably was a way to upload photos to my post/review, but I still couldn't find a way to upload a photo from my gallery to my post/review; seems like an absurd second step, anyway.

What am I doing wrong? I have searched Pentax Forums for help on loading photos/images, and have found zero. So I must start a thread (which doesn't seem to have been started before) to ask Forum members to help me. Why must it be so complicated on this one Forum to post photos -- ironically a photo Forum?

09-01-2020, 06:07 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

This thread is at the top of Post your Photos forum.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/6-how-upload-link-ph...tart-here.html
09-01-2020, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to manage attachments when the manage attachment box pops up click on chose files then chose the file you want to up load from your computer. Then click upload, the file name should appear in the current attachments area then close the attachments window. The file should appear just below the text box next click on preview post and the full post with the attachment should appear in the preview window. Keep in mind that the file will be resized but otherwise should appear normal.

Below is an image I just uploaded. I don't normally use the file attachment method as I usually post my image files from Flickr so the full sized image can be viewed by clicking on the image which will then be opened in Flickr.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
09-01-2020, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The vast majority of us use Flickr and post the BBCode directly from there. As stated, you can then click on the image here at PF and get a full sized image at Flickr. Like this:

09-01-2020, 07:25 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't post photos to Pentax Forums... why not?

To post as a direct image, the attachment method works perfect, also gets the exif info. To use the “photo” part, any third party image host works fine. Flicker, PhotoBucket, Imager, or Tapatalk app on the tablet/phone.

This is hosted on Imager, posted from my phone via Tapatalk

Hang up and DRIVE!
09-01-2020, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #6
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cometguy Quote
I joined Pentax Forums a couple months ago. I've put up a few posts and a few lens reviews.
But I cannot find any way to post photos. When clicking on "insert image", it asks for a URL, not for the option to upload an image from my computer.
At one point I figured out how to upload to "my" gallery on Pentax Forums, which presumably was a way to upload photos to my post/review, but I still couldn't find a way to upload a photo from my gallery to my post/review; seems like an absurd second step, anyway.

What am I doing wrong? I have searched Pentax Forums for help on loading photos/images, and have found zero. So I must start a thread (which doesn't seem to have been started before) to ask Forum members to help me. Why must it be so complicated on this one Forum to post photos -- ironically a photo Forum?
It is actually quite simple if you store your photo at the PF site.

You can click on "Insert Album Photos", which will show you all the photos you have already loaded into the site - select one, and it will be immediately inserted into your message.
Your other choice is to click on "Manage Attachments" - at this point you will be shown a 'browsing' sub-window - navigate to a photo accessible to your computer, click on "upload", and it will be attached to your post.

This really is simple, designed for the average dude or dudette.
09-01-2020, 05:57 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Adding photos to reviews, unlike forum posts, is unfortunately a 2-step process. This will change in the future.

The easiest way is to create an album with all of your photos:
PentaxForums.com - Member Photo Albums

Then these can easily be added to your review (or in any other future post) using method #5 here, i.e. the insert link in the editor:
How to upload / link photos - BEGINNERS START HERE - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-02-2020, 03:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

When clicking on "insert image", it asks for a URL, not for the option to upload an image from my computer.I've never seen any other online forum operate this way. Why?
A photo forum will have a particularly large need for storage and bandwidth compared with a text oriented forum. Directly uploading an image from your computer means that PF have to provide space on their server to store it, and then provide the bandwidth every time a PF user sees it, which in the final analysis contributes to PF's running costs. OTOH, giving an URL (a link to the image stored elsewhere) means that the image is shown to users of PF without PF having to store it or even handle it in any way whatsoever - it goes directly to the viewer. There are plenty of other forums that do the same, or at least encourage it by setting some kind of upload limit.

I have my own webspace which has no practical limit on storage or bandwidth (it costs me though) so I always post my pictures first to my own webspace and then to PF threads by means of links. Flickr, which others have mentioned, Photobucket etc act in the same way but are commercial services. I also sometimes link to third party images, such as on Ebay when we are discussing things for sale there, I'm sure the sellers don't mind the extra publicity (although it might depend on what we say about it ).

09-02-2020, 01:04 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, I didn't find this before, for whatever reason... This is a test posting of an image I took this week of the moon... And this is just a screenshot, so a very small file, from the original RAW file... Photo taken with Pentax smc 500-mm f/4.5 + K10D camera...

Thanks to all who gave very helpful replies to my question!
Attached Images

Last edited by cometguy; 09-02-2020 at 02:28 PM.
09-04-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, I'm able to upload photos to forum discussion threads, but I cannot post any photos to my reviews of lenses. I've created a gallery/album of my own photos to upload (1, 2, or 3 per review) but I cannot get them to upload. I go to my gallery and see that each photos has its own URL, so I tried cutting and pasted that URL into my review to upload an image, and it does nothing. I actually did get an [IMG]<URL>[/IMG] inserted, twice (for two photos), in my review, but the photos won't show on my screen. What am I doing wrong?
09-05-2020, 02:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

OK, I'm able to upload photos to forum discussion threads, but I cannot post any photos to my reviews of lenses. I've created a gallery/album of my own photos to upload (1, 2, or 3 per review) but I cannot get them to upload. I go to my gallery and see that each photos has its own URL, so I tried cutting and pasted that URL into my review to upload an image, and it does nothing. I actually did get an inserted, twice (for two photos), in my review, but the photos won't show on my screen. What am I doing wrong?
Are you including " http:// " on the front of the url? Just starting with " www " (for example) is not enough.

It is a bit annoying that with the PF software, when editing a post with a picture in it, the picture itself shows up in the editing area instead of its url. This is a pain becasue you cannot check its address (for example you might have picked up the wrong picture) or any formating code around it (I sometimes use " center " ) and unnecessary because it is also there to see in the pre-view anyway..
09-05-2020, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
This is a pain becasue you cannot check its address
You can, simply click on the AA icon in the upper-right corner of the editor to view the source.

OK, I'm able to upload photos to forum discussion threads, but I cannot post any photos to my reviews of lenses. I've created a gallery/album of my own photos to upload (1, 2, or 3 per review) but I cannot get them to upload. I go to my gallery and see that each photos has its own URL, so I tried cutting and pasted that URL into my review to upload an image, and it does nothing. I actually did get an inserted, twice (for two photos), in my review, but the photos won't show on my screen. What am I doing wrong?
Try using method #5 described here:

This should enable you to insert the photos without worrying where they are located.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-06-2020, 07:43 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can, simply click on the AA icon in the upper-right corner of the editor to view the source.

Try using method #5 described here:

This should enable you to insert the photos without worrying where they are located.
Adam, here's my problem: When I go to "Insert Album Photos" on my lens reviews (in EDIT mode), most of the time it does nothing. Today I tried on my Sigma 105-mm lens review, and it let me upload two photos, and they are there now. But then I tried a couple of other lens reviews, repeatedly, and clicking on "Insert Album Photos" does nothing. I've re-loaded my browser windows, closed them and opened again -- no luck. I'm on Firefox and iMac -- but if it worked once, it should work always, no?

[Edit: I just found a way to cut-and-paste the URL from the 105-mm review into my other reviews, and changed the photo numbers within my Forum album accordingly -- a pain, for sure, but it's done.]

Last edited by cometguy; 09-06-2020 at 08:41 PM.
09-06-2020, 09:40 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm on Firefox and iMac -- but if it worked once, it should work always, no?
Yup, it should always work. Are you blocking any scripts or popups? Because the uploaded shows up in a popup, it's also possible that it's buried in a different window/tab.

Adam

09-07-2020, 06:41 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, it should always work. Are you blocking any scripts or popups? Because the uploaded shows up in a popup, it's also possible that it's buried in a different window/tab.
I've not been able to find any problems on my end. The fact that it worked once says a lot; if it had never worked, I'd have been more suspicious that there was some setting on my computer that is suspect.