Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How do I make a search "greedy"?

I used the "Search this Forum" function in Mini-Challenges, Games, and Photo Stories - PentaxForums.com .

I wanted to find a thread with "Shadows" in the title. So as not to be overly specific and potentially exclude results that only contain "Shadow", I only searched for "Shadow", marked off "Search in Thread Titles Only". I only got 1 result, which is Shadow Selfies - PentaxForums.com , not what I was looking for.

I extended my search to "Shadows", and found Shadows - PentaxForums.com , but the thread was short, old and in it was refferred to another thread, namely *shadows* lets see them - Page 44 - PentaxForums.com

I've tried searching the forum for "*shadows*", " "*shadows*" " (inner pair of quotation marks included in my search this time), but no luck finding the thread with the search function.

Is there a way to tell the search function to be greedy and not only look for exact matches, but also find "shadows" and "*shadows*" if I just search for "shadow" (or just to find "*shadows*" at all)?

12-13-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you tried using the 'Advanced Search' facility ?
12-13-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Have you tried using the 'Advanced Search' facility ?
Yes, found no option that would help me here.
12-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #4

Have you tried with «*shade*» or «*shades*», just in case?

tschüss

12-13-2020, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is no wildcard support in the standard search unfortunately. However, you might find what you're looking for using the google search:

Site Search - PentaxForums.com

Or by searching of a tag- these are generated based on wildcards:

shadow - Tagged Pentax Forum Threads - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-14-2020, 08:41 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Or by searching of a tag- these are generated based on wildcards:
shadow - Tagged Pentax Forum Threads - PentaxForums.com
This looks promising, I think that's what I'll try in the future, thanks! Unfortunately it seems to ignore the "Search this Forum" / "Search in Forum(s)" and "Search Titles only" restrictions, but it seems that it will be the fastest way to find something specific
12-14-2020, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You could try to use a web search engine (google, bing, etc) and specify the site, assuming the web search engine is more flexible for wildcards. For example enter this in the search bar to restrict to the forums, I've tried with wildcards, *, and it also worked as expected:
Code:
site:pentaxforums.com/forums Shadow

12-14-2020, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #8

Put both terms in the search e.g. shadows shadow

The search engine does and implied "or". If you put both terms in quotes then it will return hits when both terms are in a post/header, e.g. "shadow shadows" (implied "and").

Quotes are useful if you are looking for a specific phrase and will usually search words of 3 characters or less and common words that are usually excluded from the search filter.