Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2021, 10:31 PM - 2 Likes   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carlb Quote
How about something like an automatic entry for every member who has been a member for longer than x and has made more than x number of posts in the last month or so? Maybe the forum software can't be configured for that sort of thing, I don't know. Generally I'm a bit like SimplyCreativePhotography and sometimes find it challenging to come up with 6 worthwhile posts a day.
There are many ideas as to how one can run a raffle. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much as there will always be an argument for or against a certain method, and there will always be some who will want to exploit generosity and use the raffle methodology to maximise chances of winning.

05-08-2021, 11:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
There are many ideas as to how one can run a raffle. Ultimately, it doesn't matter too much as there will always be an argument for or against a certain method, and there will always be some who will want to exploit generosity and use the raffle methodology to maximise chances of winning.

Agreed....and at least this gives me another post towards todays entry
05-08-2021, 11:20 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How about something like an automatic entry for every member who has been a member for longer than x and has made more than x number of posts in the last month or so? Maybe the forum software can't be configured for that sort of thing, I don't know. Generally I'm a bit like SimplyCreativePhotography and sometimes find it challenging to come up with 6 worthwhile posts a day.
It all depends on conversations.
Some days I am well over 20 and everything above "6" is kind of wasted.
On the other day some people struggle to come up with 6 meaningful posts and are "forced" to produce spam.
It would be nice if we could "accumulate" "spare" entries during fruitful days.
05-09-2021, 07:28 PM   #19
mee
Veteran Member

Yes. I don't find anything that interesting on here most days to find 6 meaningful posts. So I'm glad this is around.

05-09-2021, 07:29 PM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

It would be nicer if you just had to login to the forum that day and submit your entry without the posting imo. Or reduce it to 3 posts at most.
05-09-2021, 08:48 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't enter the giveaway competitions, so I have no skin in the game.
But I hope the winner is a member with the best interests of the forums at heart, rather than a member who only posts the bare minimum of posts because they have to. I'm not sure that changing the required number of posts to suit individual members has any merit. To me, complaining of having to make 6 meaningful posts a day is no different than a marathon runner complaining that the race is too long, and should be shortened because they don't want to run that far.
The prize is a magnificent lens, and the rules for entry need to reflect the value of it.
05-09-2021, 09:19 PM   #22

Original Poster
I don’t think any one can disagree that the Forum has the right to set the rules for a raffle it is offering. 6 posts, or more or less.
What’s debatable is the best way to manage it given its long term objective.
Will be interesting to see what happens after the raffle ends!

05-10-2021, 05:29 AM - 10 Likes   #23
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoaki Quote
I don’t think any one can disagree that the Forum has the right to set the rules for a raffle it is offering. 6 posts, or more or less.
What’s debatable is the best way to manage it given its long term objective.
Will be interesting to see what happens after the raffle ends!
I can tell you exactly what will happen after the raffle ends. It will be the same thing that has happened after the previous raffles have ended.

The winner will be delighted.

Most others will be gracious, and be happy for him.

The overwhelming majority will carry on as usual.

A very small handful will continue to claim the contest is
(a)a bad idea (b) poorly conceived (c) poorly executed (d) rigged; or all four. (After all, what other reason could there be for not having won?)

We'll have some new, active members.

Some who joined just to enter the contest won't be heard from again.

Some members who became more active just to enter the contest will likely go back to averaging only a few posts per year.

Adam will, in the future, very generously offer another giveaway and the discussion will start over. Lather, rinse, repeat.
05-10-2021, 09:41 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like this idea - having raffles weighted slightly in favor of longtime consistent contributors seems justified imo. I'm genuinely happy when I see a golden oldie win something.
05-10-2021, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #25
mee
Veteran Member

So an entry modifier. I like the idea but yeah might be difficult to do considering Adam simple runs a random number generator on the total count of entries as the maximum value.

If the forum software could generate posts then maybe. Seems like a lot of extra work for someone already going out of their way to offer a contest and a prize though.
05-11-2021, 02:24 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I can tell you exactly what will happen after the raffle ends. It will be the same thing that has happened after the previous raffles have ended.

The winner will be delighted.

Most others will be gracious, and be happy for him.

The overwhelming majority will carry on as usual.

A very small handful will continue to claim the contest is
(a)a bad idea (b) poorly conceived (c) poorly executed (d) rigged; or all four. (After all, what other reason could there be for not having won?)

We'll have some new, active members.

Some who joined just to enter the contest won't be heard from again.

Some members who became more active just to enter the contest will likely go back to averaging only a few posts per year.

Adam will, in the future, very generously offer another giveaway and the discussion will start over. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Unfortunately, this is often the case. People who post regularly, before contests continue afterward. As far as the contest, I don't think there should be sour grapes. Adam is giving something away, how he chooses to do that is his choice.

The thing that aggravated me the most in past and I haven't seen it with this contest, was when people would upload 20 snapshots from a recent trip to a photo thread, all pretty similar and all in individual posts. But probably keeping the number needed to post to 6 has made it so people don't need to do that sort of thing.
05-11-2021, 12:43 PM - 3 Likes   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I don't enter the giveaway competitions, so I have no skin in the game.
But I hope the winner is a member with the best interests of the forums at heart, rather than a member who only posts the bare minimum of posts because they have to. I'm not sure that changing the required number of posts to suit individual members has any merit. To me, complaining of having to make 6 meaningful posts a day is no different than a marathon runner complaining that the race is too long, and should be shortened because they don't want to run that far.
The prize is a magnificent lens, and the rules for entry need to reflect the value of it.
I admit that I might pad the numbers here and there*, because some days I'm just not really seeing anything to contribute to, but then other days I make 15 posts because there are several interesting and lively threads.

And if I don't get the lens, oh well. Better luck next time... and back to the regularly scheduled posting

*I do try to keep the posts interesting, though :P
05-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Unfortunately, this is often the case. People who post regularly, before contests continue afterward. As far as the contest, I don't think there should be sour grapes. Adam is giving something away, how he chooses to do that is his choice.

The thing that aggravated me the most in past and I haven't seen it with this contest, was when people would upload 20 snapshots from a recent trip to a photo thread, all pretty similar and all in individual posts. But probably keeping the number needed to post to 6 has made it so people don't need to do that sort of thing.
The bolded bit is especially true and I'm appreciative of that..........as long as I win it
05-12-2021, 07:42 PM   #29
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I admit that I might pad the numbers here and there*, because some days I'm just not really seeing anything to contribute to, but then other days I make 15 posts because there are several interesting and lively threads.

And if I don't get the lens, oh well. Better luck next time... and back to the regularly scheduled posting

*I do try to keep the posts interesting, though :P
Beats a lot of 'nice image' 'good shot' 'thanks for sharing' posts imo

Being able to accrue posts in a buffer to use on lean days could be helpful.