Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
10-20-2021, 05:31 AM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Liked photos...

I'm wondering if there could be an auto created gallery of images that have received 15 or more likes from forum members (or any number that seems appropriate.) There have been many excellent images posted by forum members that were recognized by their peers. It would be good if there was place we could see them in one location.

Last edited by normhead; 10-20-2021 at 08:15 AM.
10-20-2021, 06:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Good idea
10-20-2021, 07:12 AM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Great idea

Such photos would be very inspirational
10-20-2021, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's a great idea! We already have the gallery view, so it would be pretty easy to have this filter posts by the number of likes:

Post Your Photos! Gallery View - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-20-2021, 08:47 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

so

what would be the minimum number

15 as suggested

double digits

more than 15

??????????????????????
10-20-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
so

what would be the minimum number

15 as suggested

double digits

more than 15

??????????????????????
Bertwert said he had one that had 16, I have one 22 and one 20. If I were researching it, I'd actually look for a number lower than 15, just to include more images. Really, anything that gets more than 10 on this site is probably worth revisiting. This is a tough crowd.
10-20-2021, 08:56 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's a great idea! We already have the gallery view, so it would be pretty easy to have this filter posts by the number of likes:

Post Your Photos! Gallery View - PentaxForums.com
The problem is that there are many excellent shots that are embedded from Flickr, such as the one's shared by the likes of Ducatigaz and Kengoh in the 300mm+ club.

I wonder how hard it would to write a tool that could pick out posts with more than x number of likes, and then parse the post to see it has an image, then include them in some sort of random sort display..? Probably a fair bit of work, but I really don't know.

10-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
The problem is that there are many excellent shots that are embedded from Flickr, such as the one's shared by the likes of Ducatigaz and Kengoh in the 300mm+ club.

I wonder how hard it would to write a tool that could pick out posts with more than x number of likes, and then parse the post to see it has an image, then include them in some sort of random sort display..? Probably a fair bit of work, but I really don't know.
Also sometimes posts with multiple images get a lot of likes.... as well as, as noted in the "why no K-3 thread", a lot of us have a text posts as our top like getter. Maybe that would be good, but it's another topic. I'd also want to research where to cut it off. We'd probably want to show something like the top 1% at most. We post a lot of images, of the thousands I've posted, there's not more than 5 or 10 I'd like to see there.If it was just me, I'd say the top .05%.
10-20-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Bertwert said he had one that had 16, I have one 22 and one 20. If I were researching it, I'd actually look for a number lower than 15, just to include more images. Really, anything that gets more than 10 on this site is probably worth revisiting. This is a tough crowd.
full disclosure

my posted photos with number of " Likes ":

1 at 16

1 at 15

1 at 14

1 at 13

1 at 12

8 at 11

6 at 10

no others in double digits

Last edited by aslyfox; 10-20-2021 at 09:09 AM.
10-20-2021, 09:07 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
...................f I were researching it, I'd actually look for a number lower than 15, just to include more images. Really, anything that gets more than 10 on this site is probably worth revisiting. This is a tough crowd.
I was thinking of something similar but based on average likes.
For example; find the average number of likes of those photos that have one or more and set the threshold based on that average. Maybe 150% or so (actual percentage dependent on the mean). Set the requirement level so it includes about 15-20 percent of the photos.
10-20-2021, 09:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
full disclosure

posted photos with number of " Likes ":

1 at 16

1 at 15

1 at 14

1 at 13

1 at 12

8 at 11

6 at 10
Based on that I'd suggest 12 as the cut-off, it would seem to be the start of exclusive territory. Unfortunately, I cleaned up my flicker acocount a while ago, and many of my most liked images are no longer posted, I guess I should go look them up.
10-20-2021, 09:13 AM   #12
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Based on that I'd suggest 12 as the cut-off, it would seem to be the start of exclusive territory. Unfortunately, I cleaned up my flicker acocount a while ago, and many of my most liked images are no longer posted, I guess I should go look them up.
the problem that I see is time

by that I mean, the longer a photo has been posted the better chance of it gathering likes
10-20-2021, 09:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Also may want to consider snowball effect, where once an image makes it to the special gallery it gets more eyes on it and probably gets more and more likes. Not really a terrible thing (it's not like we're running out of likes), but it does seem likely to happen. Still I think it's a great idea.
10-20-2021, 09:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, I wonder what the most liked photo on the forum is? So far I've found this shot by Weevil at a well deserved 41 likes: 300mm plus Lens Club: discuss your long lenses - Page 1827 - PentaxForums.com
10-20-2021, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote

The gallery view already supports this (and it also works for other forums such as lens clubs, challenges, etc.). We'd literally just need the likes filter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: