Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2021, 05:16 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens adaptor sub forum

I am prompted to post this after seeing the response to a post in the lens forum about how to adapt PK lenses to a canon mirrorless.

The response to that post was it really belonged in the non Pentax camera forum, but I found that odd because if you look at the first page of the lens forums, there are threads also running about KAF to Sony, and Pentax to Fuji adaptors, so it got me thinking, there should be one place devoted to lens to body adaptors.

Really any and all adaptors could go there.

11-09-2021, 05:19 AM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I think sub-forums, threads and posts regarding adaptors to other systems should go in the non-Pentax section. It makes more sense to me, and I say this as someone who shoots Sony A and E mounts and adapts all sorts of lenses, including Pentax K-mount...
11-09-2021, 07:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great Idea

I recently retired , decided to have some fun.
Purchased cameras with Z , FX and E ( FF ) mounts.
I have a large number of new and old , fully auto and fully manual , K , KA and M42 lenses.
All those lenses are easily adaptable to those "new" mounts.
There is a lot of confusion about the adapters , good , not so good , expensive , cheep , with limited AF ( sort of Pentax-F AF 1.7x teleconverter idea - I love it ) , with or without helicoid , with or without a flange ( M42 ) , maintain EXIF data etc.
"Multi" adapters like PK-LM + LM - Z to get limited AF with Pentax lenses on Nikon Z cameras etc etc
How to do firmware update on some more clever/ intelligent adapters.

There is no , or very limited DataBase/Summary available in the Cyberspace and there is a lot of misinformation.
Any kind of speculations should not be allowed , just pure knowledge from owners/users.

Last edited by i_trax; 11-09-2021 at 07:43 AM.
11-09-2021, 06:55 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I am prompted to post this after seeing the response to a post in the lens forum about how to adapt PK lenses to a canon mirrorless.

The response to that post was it really belonged in the non Pentax camera forum, but I found that odd because if you look at the first page of the lens forums, there are threads also running about KAF to Sony, and Pentax to Fuji adaptors, so it got me thinking, there should be one place devoted to lens to body adaptors.

Really any and all adaptors could go there.
Adapters are/can be tricky to place because the sub-forums are set up for Pentax and non-Pentax equipment, and many adapters are half Pentax, which relies on opinion, instead of set guidelines, to place them correctly.

Edit

I agree that a separate adapter forum would centralize the information, but whether this type of accessory is important enough to warrant its own sub-forum is another question.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 11-09-2021 at 07:50 PM.
11-10-2021, 05:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Adapters are/can be tricky to place because the sub-forums are set up for Pentax and non-Pentax equipment, and many adapters are half Pentax, which relies on opinion, instead of set guidelines, to place them correctly.

Edit

I agree that a separate adapter forum would centralize the information, but whether this type of accessory is important enough to warrant its own sub-forum is another question.
It should go in the lens and accessory forum, but separate from tripods backpacks etc.

Otherwise as you say it is tricky and scattered. Some in lens forums Some in camera forums. There are also great threads that get lost over time as forum mebmbers leave but have posted a lot.

If we had a collecting place I would be willing to maintain an index like I do for the sample image archive
11-10-2021, 12:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It should go in the lens and accessory forum, but separate from tripods backpacks etc.

Otherwise as you say it is tricky and scattered. Some in lens forums Some in camera forums. There are also great threads that get lost over time as forum mebmbers leave but have posted a lot.

If we had a collecting place I would be willing to maintain an index like I do for the sample image archive
note that i would even agree to start an index now, leaving the existing threads i find in place in their existing forums and only request that new threads go in the adaptor forum if that makes it easier for the moderators.
11-10-2021, 02:32 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Personally, I think sub-forums, threads and posts regarding adaptors to other systems should go in the non-Pentax section. It makes more sense to me, and I say this as someone who shoots Sony A and E mounts and adapts all sorts of lenses, including Pentax K-mount...
I agree and suggested that the mods move such threads. I was told that their judgement was that they were Pentax lens topics and appropriate for the location.

My suggestion was based, rather than on prejudice, but on practicality. The expertise on the topic is strongest in the non-Pentax area where most of those active there adapting Pentax lenses (along with others, I would expect).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-10-2021 at 02:47 PM. Reason: clarity
11-10-2021, 02:43 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

and many adapters are half Pentax
Respectfully, do you have an example?

I am not up-to-date on the full spectrum of adapters, but my understanding of the threads in question is that they deal with adapting lenses with Pentax registration distance to non-Pentax cameras. The only thing Pentax-related with such is the 45.46mm flange focal distance on the lens side of the adapter. Strangely, that registration distance is not unique to Pentax and has its origins with that of the M42 mount itself.

Steve
11-10-2021, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Snip….., and many adapters are half Pentax,
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Respectfully, do you have an example?

Steve
I can.

I own canon CD and Nikon mount optically corrected to PK for infinity focus adaptors.
There are many PK to canon PK to 4/3, PK to micro 4/3, PK to Fuji, etc…

Except for the rarer 6x7 and 646 to K mount, and the SMC F 1.7x AF converter, which are 100% Pentax, virtually every adaptor is either PK to something else, or something else to PK. I.e. half Pentax compatible. I will accept they are perhaps not technically supported by Pentax, but they are compatible
11-10-2021, 04:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can.

I own canon CD and Nikon mount optically corrected to PK for infinity focus adaptors.

Except for the rarer 6x7 and 646 to K mount, and the SMC F 1.7x AF converter, which are 100% Pentax, virtually every adaptor is either PK to something else, or something else to PK. I.e. half Pentax compatible. I will accept they are perhaps not technically supported by Pentax, but they are compatible
That is actually more complicated.
I have a number of "smart" AF LM-Z and LM-FX adapters , and I use them with passive / manual PK-LM adapters.
LM = Leica
Z = Nikon
FX - Fuji
11-10-2021, 05:50 PM   #11
Closed Account

I can.

Many thanks Lowell, for replying on my behalf so eloquently. You understood my position on this topic exactly.
11-10-2021, 07:28 PM   #12
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I agree and suggested that the mods move such threads. I was told that their judgement was that they were Pentax lens topics and appropriate for the location.
By definition, the adaption of Pentax (PK) lenses makes it more a Pentax topic than a non-Pentax topic. OP's can usually place threads in a choice of multiple forums, so unless it is the blatantly wrong forum (eg. lens in a camera forum) the mods will usually leave threads where originally posted.
We try to keep micro-managing the forums to an absolute minimum, to avoid alienating/annoying the members.

If an OP complains to us that a forum permitted thread was moved because another member didn't agree with its placement, we have not acted in good faith.
11-10-2021, 08:06 PM   #13
Closed Account

note that i would even agree to start an index now, leaving the existing threads i find in place in their existing forums and only request that new threads go in the adaptor forum if that makes it easier for the moderators.
Lowell, if @Adam has an opinion on the merits of this suggestion, I would be happy to work with you to get something going if he is agreeable.
11-11-2021, 11:19 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There is certainly a large set of users who adapt Pentax lenses to other systems, so I think it would make sense to create a forum dedicated to this topic. However, adapters between Pentax lenses and camera would be better suited for one of the existing camera/lens forums, IMO, depending on the focus.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2021, 11:32 PM   #15
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There is certainly a large set of users who adapt Pentax lenses to other systems, so I think it would make sense to create a forum dedicated to this topic. However, adapters between Pentax lenses and camera would be better suited for one of the existing camera/lens forums, IMO, depending on the focus.
Many thanks for joining the conversation, Adam.
If some clear guidelines could be established as to which adapters go where, misunderstandings between members and moderators would be greatly lessened.

Edit
For example, if a new adapter sub-forum is created, having a Sticky stating which adapter types are acceptable to be included, but also a direction to the correct sub-forum for adapters you feel would be better placed elsewhere. If a future report comes in regarding a perceived misplaced thread, having the criteria in black and white would make placement easier for all concerned, and not rely on differing opinion/interpretation to be defended.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 11-12-2021 at 12:15 AM.