Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why are we seeing a spike in Spam post?

Is it just my paranoia, or are we getting a lot of spam post lately?

Is there a way to avoid this? Perhaps all new members should be vetted by admin first? For example, baoerji9527 is all over the net spamming UGS boot, just do a google search with that name and you will see this guy banned from may forums.

12-07-2008, 01:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You're right- it seems like there are many spam bots going around at the moment We do have an automated spam filter in place right now, but I may need to incoroporate a registration filter, or something similar, as well.

A system supplemental to the image verification may also be put in place to prevent spam.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2008, 03:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You're right- it seems like there are many spam bots going around at the moment We do have an automated spam filter in place right now, but I may need to incoroporate a registration filter, or something similar, as well.

A system supplemental to the image verification may also be put in place to prevent spam.
I just looked again at the registration sequence and the CAPTCHA you are using is pretty weak. Was it included with the forum software? If so, the image algorithm may be well known and easier than most to crack. Having said that, even a good CAPTCHA can be cracked after a fairly short amount of time. For registration purposes, once is enough.

A few years ago, I wrote a CAPTCHA for the dot-com I was working for at the time. The intent was to prevent data harvesting from certain publicly exposed resources. For the most part, the effort was successful. Interestingly, after a few weeks we noticed a strange activity pattern where the CAPTCHA image resource was being requested outside the expected user path. Something was trying to find patterns to crack the CAPTCHA. This kind of thing would happen in bursts with most of the requests coming from a particular .edu domain. The hits would come at approximately 20 second intervals for about an hour or so and end with a successful return of the protected resource. I flatter myself in thinking that our gatekeeper may have been used as an assignment for an upper division AI computer class.

Have you considered requiring the CAPTCHA for posting as well?

Steve
12-07-2008, 04:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

It happens on all forums. The CAPTCHA is only smarter than them for so long before they can figure out how to bypass the algorithms in it.

12-07-2008, 04:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I suggest putting one of those "Are you human" questions on the registration page. Those usually get rid of most of the spammers.
12-08-2008, 06:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I ran a phpBB forum and the way I solved ALL spam was to reuire a particular word to be entered - not one piece of spam made it thru ever again.
12-08-2008, 10:19 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Somebody had to.............. right?

Last edited by magnum1; 12-08-2008 at 10:20 AM. Reason: That little voice told me to.
12-08-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not just here - I've seen an increase on other sites as well.
12-08-2008, 10:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

@Magnum

According to the news yesterday, this company is now going 24-7. Economic conditions is having people turn to their product in unprecedented numbers.
12-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
@Magnum

According to the news yesterday, this company is now going 24-7. Economic conditions is having people turn to their product in unprecedented numbers.

That reminds me. I need to go shopping.