Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2007, 05:04 PM   #1
Forum Member

More Skins, Please! No PURPLE or PINK!

Hi,

The default forum skin is very hard on my eyes for anything longer than 30 seconds. A very small grey font on a grey background is about the worst possible combination you could think up ergonomically speaking.

So I've switched to the "simple" skin, which thankfully has at least some contrast between font and background. But now I'm forced to look at.... PURPLE!!! Please add a skin with decent font size and contrast for those of us who prefer to read without a loop yet still need to feel secure in their masculinity.

Thank you,

Matt

03-13-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The simple skin isn't quite purple- are you sure it's not your monitor's tint?

I'm sure I won't be adding any more skins, but I'm working on a complete site redesign that should satisfy everyone. Stay tuned!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-13-2007, 11:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
The simple skin isn't quite purple- are you sure it's not your monitor's tint?

I'm sure I won't be adding any more skins, but I'm working on a complete site redesign that should satisfy everyone. Stay tuned!
Really cool. Looking forward to that.

Pink colour is generally known to "sedate" people, used as a wall feature colour for psychiatric patients...

Purple colour is known to have an effect on "dampening " down elation or excitement, a colour usually avoided in pharmaceutical pills ...
03-13-2007, 11:42 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Purple colour is known to have an effect on "dampening " down elation or excitement, a colour usually avoided in pharmaceutical pills ...
Could be applicable to the occasional post or two

03-14-2007, 12:45 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
This will not solve the colour problem but Ctrl+ (that's Ctrl and Plus key ) at the same time will increase the text size and make it more readable - I use it on many websites. Ctrl- reverses it.

Adjusting the Gamma and Contrast on your monitor to the correct levels also helps.
03-14-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
pastel fusia????

Sorry, but then please tell me what color the background on posted messages is in the simple skin? Could my monitor be that off???

I'd call it a light violet. It certainly isn't blue, and it's not grey, and it isn't burgundy... what do you call it, then?
03-14-2007, 06:55 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
sit redesign - awesome!

Heh Mo,

Didn't mean to be busting your *)@$'s, I love what you've done with the place etc. and I'm looking forward to the redesign. Keep up the good work and whatever you do don't take me too seriously! :-)

-Matt

I'm sure I won't be adding any more skins, but I'm working on a complete site redesign that should satisfy everyone. Stay tuned![/QUOTE]

03-14-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KL Matt Quote
Sorry, but then please tell me what color the background on posted messages is in the simple skin? Could my monitor be that off???

I'd call it a light violet. It certainly isn't blue, and it's not grey, and it isn't burgundy... what do you call it, then?
Dark blue. I don't think photoshop would lie

Heh Mo,

Didn't mean to be busting your *)@$'s, I love what you've done with the place etc. and I'm looking forward to the redesign. Keep up the good work and whatever you do don't take me too seriously! :-)

-Matt
IMO the homepage is what needs the most work, so expect that to be changed first. I want the main site design to be similar in style to the current one, but different in color and maybe background. I also need a nice and unique logo...

I'm glad you're liking the site, and remember, it's the posts, not the skin, that matter in the long run

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-14-2007, 09:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

It's definitely blue on both my home computer and my work computer...
03-14-2007, 10:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I've got white on my text areas, grey in others. I'm using all defaults. On my uncalibrated monitor, the grey sometimes can have a very slight purplish tint, but it is not purple.

Are you using 256 colour mode (which might show purplish tint) or 16/24/32 bit? In windows, Right click empty desktop, click properties. Display Settings Tab > Colour quality.
03-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Blue here. Very, very light blue background. Black text. I did not even know about this scheme till 2 days ago. Thanks to the OP :-)
03-15-2007, 08:24 PM   #12

On my monitor..

The main color is a sort of greyish.. gun-metal blue. The background is kind of a periwinkle, towards the blue side.. perhaps a touch mauvish..

Whatever it is, I like it.
03-16-2007, 03:19 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'm starting to like it, too...

QuoteOriginally posted by Artyste Quote
The main color is a sort of greyish.. gun-metal blue. The background is kind of a periwinkle, towards the blue side.. perhaps a touch mauvish..

Whatever it is, I like it.
03-16-2007, 07:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I've used the simple skin since the beginning, it is very pleasing to they eyes.
03-16-2007, 08:24 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I'm just wondering what all the pictures that we post are supposed to look like if all our screens are calibrated differently

The main forum skin on my screen is light gray, with a darker gray font