Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-15-2022, 12:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
- Redundant whitespace in posts

Sometimes a large whitespace is added to a post at the end. It seems this can be avoided mostly by not adding a return after the last character. However, this is not consistent, notably also when photos are added.
I have not found a way to remove this white space afterwards, for example by selecting it + DEL (with the intention to remove returns). When the editor mode is changed there is no extra code visible after the last character or image.

Also, sometimes there is no redundant white space visible when logged in, but it shows up after logging out.

So, the question is, is there a reliable way to avoid this whitespace.

04-15-2022, 05:12 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen this happen from time to time, and it's likely a compatibility issue with the text editor we use. What I usually do is just edit the post to remove the extra lines after the original submission.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2022, 02:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I searched with 'redundant white space after footer' and I found quite a few entries from people annoyed with it, and it seems to be a question of how the page is designed in HTML and CSS.

White Space after footer
White Space after footer - HTML & CSS - SitePoint Forums | Web Development & Design Community
04-16-2022, 10:01 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Maybe we're talking about two different issues. Could you please post a screenshot next time you see it?

04-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yesterday I posted a few photos here (#757). It has a large whitespace despite adding a few characters at the end without returns:

Show us buildings, structures, heck, architecture inside and out - Page 51 - PentaxForums.com

My post #742 in the same thread has the same:

Show us buildings, structures, heck, architecture inside and out - Page 50 - PentaxForums.com

And here in #724, but now between the text and the photos:

Show us buildings, structures, heck, architecture inside and out - Page 49 - PentaxForums.com

Screendump:

In these three cases the white space is only showing up when logged out.

This is also happening in some posts from other members (#751, #754, ...).

Strangely, after visiting a few other threads, I cannot find this whitespace anywhere when logged in.

I also did a test a moment ago by adding two return to my post #757 on purpose, but it doesn't generate extra whitespace at all (when logged in), so contrary what I believed until now, this only seems to be an issue when not logged in. This is all very strange and inconsistent.

Don't spend too much time on it Adam, I was hoping you had a quick fix.
04-16-2022, 11:57 AM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I think those are placeholders for ads which are otherwise being blocked by your ad blocker

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think those are placeholders for ads which are otherwise being blocked by your ad blocker
Aha, just what I first thought. That would also explain why some posts have it and others not. Problem solved as for me, thanks for your help.