Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2022, 12:52 PM - 6 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Re: Troubleshooting and Beginner Help -Request for clarification in titles of threads

May I request / suggest that within the title of a thread in this forum a brief reference is made to the equipment under discussion, or if advice is sought, on which topic ? I am always happy to try to help a fellow (or fellowess ) tog should it be within my power so to do, and indeed have received much helpful advice over the years. However, knowing the kind of assistance required or requested makes it much easier to judge whether there is any chance of my being able to make some meaningful contribution to the discussion. Just an idea.

Tony

07-15-2022, 04:38 PM - 2 Likes   #2

I made a similar request (to mods) few months ago regarding those who post a one word non meaningful title.
This is soooooooo annoying (and lost of time) browsing to posts I would not even consider reading.

Thanks for being on the same side.
07-15-2022, 05:02 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I'll take, What Is Forum Formatting for $100 ..$19.99, please Alex
07-15-2022, 08:25 PM - 5 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I feel the need to point out that a beginner forum isn’t the best place to expect precision in thread titles.

And before you say the mods can change them: they already have plenty to do; and the original poster might feel alienated or lost if their title changed.

07-15-2022, 11:36 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A parenthetical reference of the original tittle could work. If a change would be possible.

(Heeelp!!!!) Problems with the LCD ...
Etc.
07-16-2022, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #6

Depending on how equipment specific the questions may be the threads often get moved to a (hopefully) more appropriate section. E.g. questions on the KP may get moved to the KP DSLR section.
07-16-2022, 03:47 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I feel the need to point out that a beginner forum isn’t the best place to expect precision in thread titles.

And before you say the mods can change them: they already have plenty to do; and the original poster might feel alienated or lost if their title changed.
I am sure you are right, and I have no wish to enter into an acrimonious discussion regarding the merits of this suggestion. However, if it is beginners who are asking the question, then encouraging them to be more specific in their request may get them the help they need more quickly, and with less discussion with those willing to help ascertain the nature of the information being sought.

Just my half-groat's worth.

07-18-2022, 12:55 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is a great suggestion. We have a few systems in place to help new users pick informative titles, and also to help them avoid posting in the wrong place / asking a question that has already been answered. If you otherwise come across a bad title, the best thing to do you be to report the thread so we can update it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-30-2022, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As a regular helper, I try to remember that the section is called "Troubleshooting and Beginner Help"

As such, I find it helps to remember that people posting here for assistance may have just made their first or second post on the forum and may not be that technically savvy or English may not be their usual language.
07-31-2022, 09:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
As a regular helper, I try to remember that the section is called "Troubleshooting and Beginner Help"

As such, I find it helps to remember that people posting here for assistance may have just made their first or second post on the forum and may not be that technically savvy or English may not be their usual language.
I agree entirely, Mark, but a header giving even slight details of the issue would be helpful, instead of something like : 'need some advice' or 'problems'. Just mentioning the model of the equipment would be useful, I feel. After all, saying to a garage 'My car doesn't work' does not give the artificer much information with which to assess the issue.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 07-31-2022 at 11:54 AM. Reason: fur ther information
07-31-2022, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I agree entirely, Mark, but a header giving even slight details of the issue would be helpful, instead of something like : 'need some advice' or 'problems'. Just mentioning the model of the equipment would be useful, I feel. After all, saying to a garage 'My car doesn't work' does not give the artificer much information with which to assess the issue.
I once had a friend who came back into a restaurant we were in and said: "My car won't start." So, I said: "Which is your car, I'll go take a look?" She replied: "The green one." I asked: "Make and model?" She said: "How should I know? It's green." I replied: "Ok. When you're driving your car, chances are that on the steering wheel there's a badge or name or something. Any idea what it says?" She replied: "Nope".

"My car does not work" is about as much as some people can manage.
07-31-2022, 05:38 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Why are you asking a artificer to do a mechanics job?
08-01-2022, 10:07 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
Because I do not have, nor wish to own, any form of motorised vehicle in which the infernal combustion engine is used, producing pollution and wasting ever-increasing amounts of fossil fuels. I have no idea who does what to them, neither do I care.
08-01-2022, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Because I do not have, nor wish to own, any form of motorised vehicle in which the infernal combustion engine is used, producing pollution and wasting ever-increasing amounts of fossil fuels. I have no idea who does what to them, neither do I care.

Keep your shells dry.
08-01-2022, 04:44 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnMc Quote
I had to go google "artificer". So you learn something new every day!

I might add that my 1915 Audel's Automobile Guide was no help whatsoever but google came to the rescue as always!