Fujinon and Yashinon done

08-08-2022, 02:22 AM   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Soligor zoom done.
Soligor prime won't give me mount type option.
Is T Mount "third party" or "non Pentax"?
08-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Do you want me to edit the titles in the global misc lens pool.?
And what is your ideal (screenshots)
Note it would be unusual to achieve the specs aligning vertically as in the vivitar shot.
Attached Images

08-08-2022, 05:13 PM - 1 Like   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by GUB Quote
Do you want me to edit the titles in the global misc lens pool.?
And what is your ideal (screenshots)
Note it would be unusual to achieve the specs aligning vertically as in the vivitar shot.
Any cleanup is much appreciated!

Is T Mount "third party" or "non Pentax"?

Third-party. Non-Pentax refers to a mount that isn't even compatible with Pentax cameras, such as the special L mount version of the 43mm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2022, 01:18 AM   #20
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Two little issues - both with mount type (buggy thing!)
Still got the issue with Soligor prime - when I edit/shift and submit the entire mount type section disappears and doesn't reappear in edit mode. If I persevere and shift lenses across we will lose information.

In editing misc area when I edit and no mount type has been entered it defaults to "KAF3 (AF lens only)" . Up till now this entry vanished when edit submitted but in this section it persists as in here. ENSINOR Macro 24mm F2.8 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
What do I enter to keep mount type clear when I don't know.
08-10-2022, 04:58 PM   #21
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Soligor primes shifted. I did a temporary solution to the missing mount type input area by copy pasting the old mount type (before shifting) into the end of the description so it is not lost.
08-11-2022, 11:03 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Oops! It looks like I may have forgotten to add that field to the Soligor primes section. I've added it back now, so it should show up during editing. Also, added an "unknown" option just in case.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2022, 12:54 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Great to see this work going on; I have often thought the miscellaneous section of this fantastic resource was unnecessarily clunky.

Bravo GUB and Adam!
08-12-2022, 12:56 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

....the next step might be rearranging the entries in each new category by focal length.
08-12-2022, 03:50 AM - 1 Like   #25
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
....the next step might be rearranging the entries in each new category by focal length.
Part of what I have been doing is standardising the focal length and aperture line.
Once that is done they should sort accurately.
Working on it makes it clear that it is not a simple matter to get things right. For instance when we made the Soligor section by searching "Soligor" out of the "misc lenses" we ended up with 50 items in prime and zoom combined. But if (on the 3rd party home page) you search "soligor" you get about 80 hits. These 30 extra hits are in places like the Vivitar section where many lenses are also labelled Soligor. It is unclear how many of these are new models and how many are duplicates. But it means a few models are missing from the Soligor section. Because of this I don't think it is a great idea to create any more of the front page brands because this problem gets progressively worse.
What I have learnt is the 3rd party front page search searches the brands as well as "misc" but misc search is a subset restricted to itself.
And it is the misc search that is clunky for some reason. The other one is great.
08-14-2022, 03:07 AM   #26
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
ok been through the misc primes and have standardised the Focal length / aperture box. The only variation that possibly exists is some starting with a space before the FL. Hopefully that doesn't matter.
A lot have auto sorted into focal length order and then aperture order, but quite a few aren't.
Things go really pear shaped after 200mm (24 comes after 200).
Hopefully just resetting the sort will do it.
Also an aberration of Mitakons at the top
There are 3 auxillary lens - I have entered "auxillary lens" in the focal length. Hopefully they sod off to the end.
And a bunch of "non pentax" lens some annoyingly without even a review.

Your "unknown" mount type option has restricted itself to Soligor . By doing a few searches I didn't need it in primes but it would be handy to have it in zooms.
08-19-2022, 04:45 AM   #27
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Vivitar primes edited. If possible change the sort criteria so that letters come before digits. (Currently 135mm comes before 13mm)
08-21-2022, 12:54 AM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Awesome work! I have now updated the sorting so everything should go by focal length.

As for the category-specific search, it doesn't really make sense to use it if you're not sure what brand you're looking for- that's especially true for all the rebadged lenses. Best thing might be to stick to multiple entries and link between related ones, but only if we have photos or other evidence showing that they are actually the same lens.

Adam

08-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #29
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Awesome work! I have now updated the sorting so everything should go by focal length.
Naaa "miscellaneous primes" is still ugly !
Unless it is my browser?
Starts with a Dia 135mm , Arax 35mm then an Arax 80mm and the rest probably more jumbled than what they were.
Same for Vivitar primes.
08-30-2022, 12:12 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Great to see this work going on; I have often thought the miscellaneous section of this fantastic resource was unnecessarily clunky.

Bravo GUB and Adam!
My sentiments exactly.

Vivitar primes edited...
Thank you! I'm a regular visitor to the Vivitar prime section and it's now much easier to navigate.