Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2022, 09:11 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PM

My issue is similar to biz-engineer's.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Apparently PF moderation checks my posts to control content before my post become visible to public. In other words I've been muzzled, but I'm fine with that, because I'm a good dog . The problem with that is I can't edit my posts for completeness or clarification, turns out looking like multiple posts when a single post would have been appropriate. Wouldn't it be possible to modify web site code so that I can still edit my posts for completeness/clarification even while I am muzzled
I cannot send a PM. I sent a message to you 24 hours ago through the Nikon Forum, because I would rather not contact you publicly; that was just over 24 hours ago, and I am still waiting for an answer.

09-01-2022, 09:30 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Apologies for no reply to the message sent thru the sister site, Nikon Forums. As moderators we don't get messages from other forums in the family. Adam may, and he would also be who would approve changes to the site code. I can try to bring this to Adam's attention.
09-01-2022, 09:35 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I can try to bring this to Adam's attention.
That is all I am asking for.
My message at "NF" was sent directly to @Adam.
09-01-2022, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

It's being marked for his attention

09-01-2022, 10:29 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote

I cannot send a PM. I sent a message to you 24 hours ago through the Nikon Forum, because I would rather not contact you publicly; that was just over 24 hours ago, and I am still waiting for an answer.
Did you try using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum? That goes to Adam.
You're welcome to use the "Contact Moderator" link if you need something edited.

To tag on to biz-engineer's "muzzle" metaphor; a muzzle wouldn't be much good if it could be bitten through.
Members who have repeatedly demonstrated an inability or unwillingness to post within the rules are put into moderated status for a brief period so we may see their posts before they become visible to the general membership. This allows us to assure the posts are within the rules. It wouldn't make much sense to then give that member the ability to change the content after approval.

BTW, here is Adam's reply to the issue when biz-engineer brought it up with the post you quoted above:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/3-site-suggestions-help/440014-question-...ml#post5541262

Last edited by Parallax; 09-01-2022 at 10:48 AM.
09-01-2022, 10:43 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Did you try using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum.
I tried it several times yesterday and after a step or two got a system message.
I just tried it today, but have little hope of getting a reply that satisfies me.
09-01-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did you try using the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the forum?

To tag on to biz-engineer's "muzzle" metaphor; a muzzle wouldn't be much good if it could be bitten through.
Members who have repeatedly demonstrated an inability or unwillingness to post within the rules are put into moderated status so we may see their posts before they become visible to the general membership. This allows us to assure the posts are within the rules. It wouldn't make much sense to then give that member the ability to change the content after approval.

BTW, here is Adam's reply to the issue when biz-engineer brought it up with the post you quoted above:
How can I edit my posts while wearing my muzzle? - PentaxForums.com
I understand the theory, but I’m talking about private messaging, not an exchange that all can see.

09-01-2022, 10:55 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I understand the theory, but I’m talking about private messaging, not an exchange that all can see.
Ah, okay. There's the confusion. Your statement was:
The the post of his you quoted for reference made no mention of PMs.
09-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How can I edit my posts while wearing my muzzle? - PentaxForums.com
I understand the reply and agree with it - which is why I make multiple replies to your post.

In this case we are talking about private messages, which is a completely different issue.

Incidentally, I am watching this thread, so there is no need to bump it to make sure I notice new responses.
09-01-2022, 11:05 AM   #10
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

In this case we are talking about private messages, which is a completely different issue.
Not completely different as the ability to send PMs is also purposefully suspended while in moderated status.

I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to bumping the thread.
09-01-2022, 11:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Ah, okay. There's the confusion. Your statement was:
The the post of his you quoted for reference made no mention of PMs.
But my words immediately after the quote did mention PMs and my efforts to directly contact @Adam.
When I originally joined here, I was a member of a generic {not brand- specific} discussion forum whose owner treated it as a 9-5, 5 days a week job.
That is why I gave Adam 24 hours to reply.
I might have even been satisfied with a quick ‘we’ll have to talk about it’ answer, at least for a few days.
09-01-2022, 11:22 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Apologies for the delay! (and please see below).

I tried it several times yesterday and after a step or two got a system message.
I just tried it today, but have little hope of getting a reply that satisfies me.
What message did you see there? The contact form should work both for general inquiries and for contacting the moderators, and is the best way to get a timely response. I'm not aware of any technical issues with the form, but if it's not working please let us know the steps you followed and we'll get it fixed.

As for the inability to send PMs, this is something we will review. At present, the limitation isn't something we've been able to de-couple from the posting limitations that were intended in this particular case. I agree that it might not make sense to limit PMs in a case like this- the general intention is to prevent abuse from users signing up to spam or scam other members. If there's a solution and consensus among the moderators for moving forward for restoring your PM access, we'll take care of that as well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Not completely different as the ability to send PMs is also purposefully suspended while in moderated status.

I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to bumping the thread.
The last reply to biz-engineer was
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Thought it was a good time to bump this thread for the OP's benefit.
Incidentally, I might have even been satisfied if @Adam had noticed my comment was about this place, had passed it off to you and you had replied.
What I find to be unacceptable is for a member to be totally isolated.
My wife is a Board Member at a “parochial’ school.
We talked about this at lunch.
I agree that money should not be a controller, but members also should not be completely ignored.
That is only part of my complaint - but it is an important part.

Frankly, members have continued to complain about the K-3iii in a thread that is supposed to be about the KP.
Frankly, I believe some Mods agree with them.
It would have been OK with me if a response had been something like
“I agree with you, but your complaint is OT in this thread”;
Instead, they responded to my complaints ‘muzzling’ me and allowing the others to continue to complain.
09-01-2022, 11:44 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Apologies for the delay! (and please see below).

What message did you see there? The contact form should work both for general inquiries and for contacting the moderators, and is the best way to get a timely response. I'm not aware of any technical issues with the form, but if it's not working please let us know the steps you followed and we'll get it fixed.

As for the inability to send PMs, this is something we will review. At present, the limitation isn't something we've been able to de-couple from the posting limitations that were intended in this particular case. I agree that it might not make sense to limit PMs in a case like this- the general intention is to prevent abuse from users signing up to spam or scam other members. If there's a solution and consensus among the moderators for moving forward for restoring your PM access, we'll take care of that as well.
My “NF” account still shows a ‘PF’ message to you with no responses.
I’m not very adept there, but you have in the past responded to me.

My last message in this thread included material I expected ‘Parallax’ to moderate.
That is basically what I would have sent privately to you here if ‘PM’s were permitted.
09-01-2022, 01:45 PM   #15
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

“I agree with you, but your complaint is OT in this thread”;
Instead, they responded to my complaints ‘muzzling’ me and allowing the others to continue to complain.
That's a good story, but seriously misleading. No action of any kind was taken due to your complaining, or for being off topic.

It would be inappropriate of us to publicly disclose the particulars of the communication you received that advised you of the reason your status was changing temporarily.
If, however, you'd like to; feel free.

Last edited by Parallax; 09-01-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Closed Thread