Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2023, 10:03 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How about identifying the moderator who take action on any post?

Why give all mods a bad name for the actions of one?

We are not all fanboys here and I don't think that is a requirement.

04-07-2023, 01:46 AM - 5 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

A) to what purpose ?

B) as discussion of moderator interractions is not permitted, this too would not be permissible.

C) not sure what is meant by 'a bad name' ? Mods act in the way that has been specified by the forum, there is no personal animosity towards the OP.

D) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

T
04-07-2023, 02:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
A) to what purpose ?
To expose fanboy moderation or alternatively make explicit that no critical discussions are allowed.

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
D) If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
It's broke and need a fix. It's frequently a problem, users are tiptoeing around revealing known issues and valid discussions are shut down. Only a specific issues are acknowledged.

A personal example: I made a thread intended to discuss how the DFA100WR performed under very specific *clearly stated* circumstances. Particularly with regards to fringing to help with a purchase decision. The thread was flooded with people attempting to shut down the discussion and insisting it had no fringing problem. Most those posters clearly discussed completely different shooting conditions and subjects. Several got agitated and posters with good info felt compelled to give advice via private messages to avoid conflict.

Rather than doing the obvious and banning aggressive and unhelpful posters the mods shut down the thread preventing useful information to be shared for future Pentaxians.

I later came across a very good deal on the DFA100WR and testing it revealed exactly the issues I was hoping people could tell me about *before* purchasing as they are brutally evident for anyone having an honest look. So much so that, as we all know, Pentax changed the optical formula and released a new lens. Pentax happily admitted fringing was a problem whilst Pentax forum users and mods shut down a thread because it somehow revealed issues in specific use cases.
04-07-2023, 02:59 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jhaji Quote
Why give all mods a bad name for the actions of one?

We are not all fanboys here and I don't think that is a requirement.
I wasn't aware we had a bad name.

I would be interested in the motivation for your post. Looking at your history, you have had four moderator actions taken over your nearly 14 years as a member here. They have all been minor, and all by different members of the Moderation Team. I don't see a pattern of discrimination.

04-07-2023, 03:03 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I made a thread intended to discuss how the DFA100WR performed under very specific *clearly stated* circumstances. Particularly with regards to fringing to help with a purchase decision. The thread was flooded with people attempting to shut down the discussion and insisting it had no fringing problem. Most those posters clearly discussed completely different shooting conditions and subjects. Several got agitated and posters with good info felt compelled to give advice via private messages to avoid conflict.
Please provide a link to the thread in question. I see no such thread in your moderation history.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 04-07-2023 at 03:57 AM.
04-07-2023, 07:24 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
To expose fanboy moderation or alternatively make explicit that no critical discussions are allowed.

<snip>
I am sorry, the expression 'fanboy moderation' conveys no meaning to me - could you explain somewhat more lucidly, please

So far, the only actual information that has been posted has consisted of one member concerning one thread which was closed, not it appears because of the content, but because (allegedly) of the unacceptable responses. Surely, in that case, closing the thread makes more sense than editing out the responses which caused the issue.

I too have had a thread deemed 'unacceptable' removed. To my utter amazement, the world did not end, and the sun continued to shine (this is irony). I understand that the mods are performing their (presumably) unpaid tasks within the framework set for them and us - as with any organisation requiring adherence to rules, there will be occasions when the rules are broken and corrective measures taken.

I hope these comments do not breach the rules concerning moderation discussion - should they do so, please remove them.

T
04-07-2023, 01:08 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I wasn't aware we had a bad name.
Some of us perhaps live in a bubble.

I will address some of the posts when I have time on my hands coz it is tedious to regurgitate posts that are deleted. You on the other hand, as a mod, may be able to post or even PM me those.

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Looking at your history, you have had four moderator actions taken over your nearly 14 years as a member here .
I would say at least that many in the recent past before I gave up.,

Take a look at this post that got a mod to close a thread. How do you tell a Senior Mod that QE is done by the Fed Reserve and that the Fed Reserve is apolitical? You expect a reversal with a PM? (I bet this doesn't appear in your list of 4. There are plenty more.)

Inflation growing over last months? - PentaxForums.com

04-07-2023, 03:12 PM - 3 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will address some of the posts when I have time on my hands coz it is tedious to regurgitate posts that are deleted. You on the other hand, as a mod, may be able to post or even PM me those.
It may shock you that most of the moderators also have a day job, and a life outside these forums. If you have a problem you want us to address, the responsibility is on you to do your own ground work.

QuoteQuote:
Take a look at this post that got a mod to close a thread. How do you tell a Senior Mod that QE is done by the Fed Reserve and that the Fed Reserve is apolitical? You expect a reversal with a PM? (I bet this doesn't appear in your list of 4. There are plenty more.)
Inflation growing over last months? - PentaxForums.com
Have you considered the possibility that your post was not the reason for its closure?
04-07-2023, 04:15 PM - 3 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

The link quoted by the OP (Inflation growing over last months? - PentaxForums.com) was a post started nearly two years ago. The OP would appear to have a bee in his bonnet concerning the Mods - "methinks the lady doth protest too much."
04-08-2023, 12:37 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
…Take a look at this post that got a mod to close a thread. How do you tell a Senior Mod that QE is done by the Fed Reserve and that the Fed Reserve is apolitical? …
No-one could possibly think that thread wasn’t turning political? Riiiiight…….
04-08-2023, 02:10 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Take a look at this post that got a mod to close a thread.
I have just taken a look and I don't think it was your post that got it closed. There were quite a few posts in quick succession shortly before it was closed, and yours happened to be the last.
04-08-2023, 10:43 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Out of interest, can the moderators see what we're doing while we're typing out a post?

I have a tendency to splurge out whatever nonsense is inside my head, then revise it until I believe it. So I'd be slightly horrified to think that somebody might be watching me while I work through all the stuff that isn't fit for human consumption, before I finally hit the "Submit Reply" button.
04-08-2023, 10:44 AM - 3 Likes   #13
Pentaxian

Oops, I think I just hit the "Submit Reply" button.
04-08-2023, 01:23 PM - 3 Likes   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
Out of interest, can the moderators see what we're doing while we're typing out a post?
That would be like trying to read your mind...creepy!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: