Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

marketplace suggestions

There is not place to really ask this but I was looking through the marketplace and have noticed an increase in the number of listings from members with fewer than 5 posts. These also tend to be links to auctions which is a violation of marketplace rules since they usually are new posts and have not been listed for a week.
My question is can there be a mimimum number of posts placed before you are allowed to place an ad in the marketplace? The other suggestion would be a date stamp in place so that you cant place a link to another website in a posting until 7 days have passed from the original post?

01-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #2

While I am relatively new here, I fully agree with the suggestion. I think there should be 25-50 posts or something like that criteria for using Marketplace for posting buy/sell thread. Replies could be for any level of member

jus tmy 2c
01-02-2009, 12:37 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changes will be made later down the road, but there are a couple other software issues I need to straighten out before I can address the minor issues the marketplace has.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2009, 02:42 AM   #4

I am also a new member, but I tend to shy away from wholesale restrictions of posts. I feel that this forum in particular has the benefit of a strong user base and I can see some fairly negative downsides to such restrictions, but as the forums get more popular some balance needs to be found to reduce auction spam. I do think the marketplace in particular could benefit from flagging option a la craigslist for threads to help the moderators deal with the traffic, as well as perhaps a requirement for posts including ebay links to be moderated before posting. The number of legitimate ebay posts is fairly small in volumer anyways.

We were all new to the internet at one point. From someone who has helped many people discover online communities, confusing automatic restrictions would likely turn a number of people away from this site. At this point I don't see the number of spam postings to be particularly burdensome or inflammatory,

Just my 2 cents.
-southy

01-02-2009, 02:49 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Luckily, there's no spam to be found in the marketplace, let alone scam attempts. There has only been one larger incident in the history of the site, which was eventually resolved, resulting in no loss of property. For this reason I'm in no rush to enforce any restrictions.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand you have many pots to keep an eye on Adam, i just brought it up because of a post that isnt even giving prices for forum members to buy anything its just a link to his ebay auctions
01-02-2009, 08:16 AM   #7

I also saw couple of posts where people just posted 1,2 sale posts and then never returned

01-02-2009, 11:42 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by gokenin Quote
I understand you have many pots to keep an eye on Adam, i just brought it up because of a post that isnt even giving prices for forum members to buy anything its just a link to his ebay auctions
And that's against the rules. Such posts are to be reported; they will be deleted promptly.

Auction links are only permitted if the item(s) in question have been listed in the Marketplace itself for at least a week.

Adam