Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-22-2006, 07:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
vanishing photos

This is weird - sometimes images vanish from posts, or never appear. For instance, roentarre's "innocent girl" was fine when I first read the post. I posted a reply, and when I scrolled back up to have another look, there she was, gone! Similar things have happened recently in the "What is it?" thread - if I went to another page and back the image would reappear, but I never did get the innocent girl to come back. Also leaton's deer - I clicked on the link in the message, which took me to the gallery. I could see the strip of thumbnails, but it didn't show the full image. Didn't think to try others, I'll go back and try again. It seems really strange that this should happen so sporadically. Most images work, just sometimes they don't, and usually a little fiddling around brings them back. I haven't changed anything in my browser or anything (that I know of), so what gives?

Julie

10-22-2006, 09:56 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen some images do that in the "what is it" thread too...

If people upload images to their own sites and then link to them from a post, they may want to remove them after some time, and that's what most do.

Attached images or images from the gallery here never vanish, though

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-29-2006, 04:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

ohhh i see, that would be much easier. That takes a bit of practice though. Thanks for the tips
10-29-2006, 11:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I've noticed the same thing.

However there's a small chance that it could be your browser, both Firefox and Internet Explorer have upgraded in the last week or so and they might still have some growing pains with some sites

10-31-2006, 01:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Gah! This is frustrating - now I've got pictures appearing and disappearing at random when I refresh the page. I was looking at roentarre's photo essay, first I got just the first image. Refresh. Images 1 and 3. Refresh again. Hm, now I've got image 2... finally gave up. I thought maybe it was because I had the older Firefox, but I've just updated and it's still misbehaving. Is it me? Do I need some weird plug-in? Suggestions??

Julie

edit -- Just trying to vote in the contest, but I'm having trouble seeing entries. After a few refreshes I've got them all except #13 (joele). At one point I refreshed, it took quite a while to load, and missed about 1/3 of them. Very odd.

Last edited by foxglove; 10-31-2006 at 01:20 PM.
10-31-2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As for the essay, the photos are hosted of PBase, so ask them.

In the voting thread, this may also be the case, but some of the attached images may not load because of timeouts (i.e. the page finished loading w/o asking for the images). If images don't show up the first time, just right click them and select "show picture."

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-01-2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If in doubt try the same page in Internet Explorer (assuming that your using windooze) and see what happens there.

11-02-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
If in doubt try the same page in Internet Explorer (assuming that your using windooze) and see what happens there.
Good suggestion, I never think of doing that. But... it does the same d@mn thing!
11-02-2006, 07:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
In the voting thread, this may also be the case, but some of the attached images may not load because of timeouts (i.e. the page finished loading w/o asking for the images). If images don't show up the first time, just right click them and select "show picture."
In Firefox, there's nothing to click - just white space below the name, and if I right click I get various options, none of which have anything to do with images.

I tried in Explorer, it gave me broken link symbols but right clicking those did nothing. Explorer did much the same thing that Firefox has been doing, i.e. it consistently will not show joele's photo, and randomly refuses to show various others. This time around: 3, 9, 13, 16, 19, 20, 25, 26, 27, which is similar to what Firefox sometimes won't show. (It seems to have now decided not to show any of those, while Firefox has settled on all but joele's.)

Based on a quick check of properties of visible and invisible images in Explorer, there seems to be no pattern in where they are hosted. Is my browser possessed???

Julie

Edit - I'm developing a theory at least as far as pbase is concerned. In pbase if you right click and copy image location (or whatever it's called) it doesn't give you the basic pbase.com/image####. Some of the images that I can sometimes see have locations with ct. bfore pbase and other oddities, and I just wonder if that might be causing the problem. I half recall having done the right click - copy image location thing and having problems posting the image, but if I copied the location from the image properties window it worked fine. Could this be the problem? Have I made any sense at all?

Last edited by foxglove; 11-02-2006 at 11:43 AM.
11-02-2006, 02:39 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As I said in this post, there's probably something wrong with the PBase links, or people may have removed their remotely hosted images.

If attached images don't show, a timeout probably occured since the page finished loading before the images were all done, so just try refreshing.

Adam

11-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Its pbase, both roentarre and I use pbase and both are having the same problem when linking from here... very strange since I had no problem until about a week or two ago... Even weirder is I have not noticed the problem on dpreview but do notice it on dcresource.. And If only one photo is on the whole page it is no problem, if there is multiple photos on a thread from pbase the first one or two load and subsequent ones don't...

For example my october competition photo doesn't show up 3/4 of the time I look in that thread?

Last edited by joele; 11-02-2006 at 02:59 PM.
11-02-2006, 03:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Problem solved here... Roentarre have a look

Why can I only link to one photo at a time on a forum? :: PBase Forum

Last edited by joele; 11-02-2006 at 03:46 PM.
11-04-2006, 09:43 PM   #13
Veteran Member

mmmm that sounds a little complicated for me in deed.

Will try posting some threads and see how it goes