Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Search help

I don't seem to get any responses using "search this forum". In particular, I'm pretty sure somebody has posted about the Sigma 24-60, but doing a search for Sigma or 24-60, turns up nothing. What am I doing wrong? Brian

02-10-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There may have been a typo in the thread, or the user may have put spaces somewhere between the 24 and the 60, rendering the search for that string useless.

Let me know if you find the thread you were looking for and I'll have a look at how it's worded.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Some people swear that vBulletin's search function works fine and if you can't find what you're looking for you're just not a good searcher, but I'm not one of 'em. It seems you can use the same terms on different days and one day maybe get nothing, while the next you find what you're looking for - weird.

Luckily you can use google to search this site just format your google search with "site:www.pentaxforums.com" like this
Code:
site:www.pentaxforums.com sigma 24-60
Plenty of results that way...

edit: the problem with those terms it seems is that everyone writes "24-60mm" so if you use the forums search tool and enter "sigma 24-60mm" you'll get results, but the forums algorithm doesn't search for partial matches like we're all used to with google.

Last edited by heliphoto; 02-10-2009 at 04:25 PM. Reason: figured it out a bit.
02-10-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I used that and discovered one obvious thing: vBulletin searches require at least one letter in the keyword. 24-60mm on the forum will find you what you want.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-10-2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I used that and discovered one obvious thing: vBulletin searches require at least one letter in the keyword. 24-60mm on the forum will find you what you want.
Hah! We're on the same wavelength there - I was editing my post to add similar info .
02-10-2009, 04:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, got it,
Brian
02-19-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by heliphoto Quote
Luckily you can use google to search this site just format your google search with "site:www.pentaxforums.com" like this
Code:
site:www.pentaxforums.com sigma 24-60
com+sigma+24-60"]results[/URL] that way...
Adam,

Is it possible to replace or supplement the vBulletin with Google search? Would this work (seen on Smashing Magazine)?

Code:
  <form action="http://www.google.com/search" method="get"> 
<fieldset>
<input type="hidden" name="sitesearch" value="pentaxforums.com" />
<input type="text" name="q" size="31" maxlength="255" value="" />
<input type="submit" value="Google Search" />
</fieldset>
</form>

02-20-2009, 10:02 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'll add a google search box to the advanced search page later today. That's definitely not a bad idea!

Adam

02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This has now been added. I'll post an announcement shortly.

Adam