Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Should religious and political threads be allowed in General Talk?
Yes   The results are hidden0%
No   The results are hidden0%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #46
Damn Brit

I just noticed your Post count James, congratulations on breaking 10,000.
How many 'bots have you got programmed these days?

03-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote yes, we can all elect to read, or not read, or to tell people the thread really does not belong on the forum. That is all part of freedom of speech.

It is also interesting to see the spread of views held by the forum members, and to have confirmation that as photogrphers, we are just as screwed up as the population as a whole

While some complain about people not playing nice, in the General talk forum, they don't always play nice in other forums either so I don't think it is an issue about the battles that errupt there. While not technically oriented towards potography, aside from subject the attitudes are just as narrow minded from time to time as in the forums.

Give the people a place to rant and rave, and maybe just maybe, it will keep the rantings to a minimum in the real photography forums.
03-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #48
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote

I am thinking about "short man syndrome" forum for myself as well.
If we are going to be political about this then that should read "vertically challenged"
03-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #49
graphicgr8s

"More is better"

I am thinking about "short man syndrome" forum for myself as well.
If you can have a short man forum I want a Fat Man's Forum or an Obese one.

03-10-2009, 06:36 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I just noticed your Post count James, congratulations on breaking 10,000.
How many 'bots have you got programmed these days?
Thanks for congradulating on my disinhibition of verbal diarrhoea. That is to do with my neural wiring actually.

I would not mind to have my wife and children to be robots so they will do what they are told or programmed to do. Oops, that is not politically correct.
03-10-2009, 06:39 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ajuett Quote
If we are going to be political about this then that should read "vertically challenged"
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
You see that most photographers are creative. There shall be a "Councilling forum" for the ones that cannot bear the full force of these forums. Oops, spelling fora for plural?
03-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #52
graphicgr8s

You see that most photographers are creative. There shall be a "Councilling forum" for the ones that cannot bear the full force of these forums. Oops, spelling fora for plural?
I had a smart alek remark but then had a senior moment. Just wish I could remember what it was. Other than your spelling.

Almost forgot

For Damn Brit:

03-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Respect for others and their opinions.

Gray area this.

Topics regarding anything that can be used to discriminate against anyone can be banned from discussion. That includes, but is not limited to, race, religion, age, gender, sexual preferences, occupation, social class, political views, social hierarchy, political influence, cultural heritage, camera gear brand... But then, what would we talk about?

I think any discussion about any of the above topics should be monitored very closely, and if there is even a sniff of it getting out of hand, shut it down.

Don't ban it, but don't allow it. Aim for neutral gray.

People also need to use their common sense and accept that opinions are like arseholes - everybody's got one.
03-10-2009, 07:28 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Should we permit this? After all, it isn't photography.

Joke Threadl
03-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #55
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Should we permit this? After all, it isn't photography.

Joke Threadl
The thread title answers that question.
03-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #56

QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Here Here!! Fat guys can really take good pictures:^)

Last edited by LX60; 03-10-2009 at 10:07 PM.
03-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #57
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
This poll will remain open for another week. At the moment we are looking at a 60/40 split in opposition of religious and political threads.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2009, 09:50 PM   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This poll will remain open for another week. At the moment we are looking at a 60/40 split in opposition of religious and political threads.
Wow, I'm surprised. All one has to do is ignore the thread. I will be disappointed if the tyranny of the majority rules the day.
03-31-2009, 06:41 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I think it is very difficult for people (in general) to have discussions about religion and/or politics and not become emotionally charged. These types of threads sometimes boil down to name calling and general offensive remarks just because people get frustrated that they can't get their point across. Just because you don't insult a forum member directly but rather insult their views/beliefs with derogatory remarks doesn't mean your remarks don't sting (and IMO is the same as insulting that person directly).

Anyway, I'd vote for an outright ban of any threads that are of a political/religious debate that is not related to photography. There really isn't anything good that can come from threads like these (one recent thread comes to mind).

What I don't want to see are photography threads banned. If someone wants to post photos of a political/religious event I'm all for it, but posting opinions about the policy/religion should not be allowed.

Just my 2'cents

John
03-31-2009, 07:28 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Adam, You do a great job with this site ! I am all for freedom of speach and believe that common sense will prevail. Banning discussion can only detract fromthe forum. Inflamitory remarks should be ignored and the authors will get bored and go away. It takes 2 to argue. Also if topics are restricted it will affect some of the wit and humor posted here.
For God's sakes this isn't an ACLU message board!
Ooops did I write something politcally incorrect?
Closed Thread