Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Forum Categories / Categorization

As Pentax now has a MF DSLR, i.e., the 645D, I suggest to open a new sub-forum under the current DSLR forum for discussion of the upcoming 645D, 645 lenses and system.

Also, I think the current DSLR forum should be renamed to and converted into a "DSLR and lens forum", say, or preferably even a "DSLR and system forum" as it is often rather difficult o discuss separately for a DSLR system for the body or lens alone. Usually, we discuss body with lenses just because a camera is simply consisted of a body *and* a lens!

Ditto when we discuss flash and DSLR bodies, there is simply no need to go to the accessories forum as many questions are also closely related to the DSLR bodies!

Most of us have gone digital nowadays, I think its of no point to separate into too details for the film part. And, we need better and more precise grouping for the digital forums.

Adam, I just think your categorization is a bit too wide than necessary which may not be a good thing and cause much inconvenience in the end. Even worse, the audience are separated and cannot see all the things easily just at one place and thus exchange of useful information are further weakened.

In contrast, the DPR forum is just a mess up as there is no categorization of any. I think somewhere in between will do the *BEST*.

03-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
As Pentax now has a MF DSLR, i.e., the 645D, I suggest to open a new sub-forum under the current DSLR forum for discussion of the upcoming 645D, 645 lenses and system.
The current medium format forum should be used for discussion of the 645D. I may relocate it in the future so that it's not a sub-forum of the film section. In any case, no more than one forum will be needed for the 645 cameras- just look at how little attention it's getting at the moment.

Also, I think the current DSLR forum should be renamed to and converted into a "DSLR and lens forum", say, or preferably even a "DSLR and system forum" as it is often rather difficult o discuss separately for a DSLR system for the body or lens alone. Usually, we discuss body with lenses just because a camera is simply consisted of a body *and* a lens!

Ditto when we discuss flash and DSLR bodies, there is simply no need to go to the accessories forum as many questions are also closely related to the DSLR bodies!
If you're not discussing them separately, then your thread already belongs in the DSLR section.

Adam, I just think your categorization is a bit too wide than necessary which may not be a good thing and cause much inconvenience in the end. Even worse, the audience are separated and cannot see all the things easily just at one place and thus exchange of useful information are further weakened.

In contrast, the DPR forum is just a mess up as there is no categorization of any. I think somewhere in between will do the *BEST*.
I know it's not perfect, but what you're suggesting definitely isn't the solution, though I do appreciate the time you took to post the thread. I'll need something more specific to start from. Keep throwing ideas at me and I'll see what I can do.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've now made a few changes of my own:
-Moved the Medium Format section to General Pentax Photography, rather than Film SLR Discussion, and updated the description
-Updated the description of the P&S Camera forum and renamed the forum
-Removed the Photo Printing forum and merged it with the rest of the Photo Processing and Software forum; renamed this forum to reflect the merge

And am still considering:
-Removing the Samsung DSLR forum (and merging its 16 threads with the Pentax DSLR section)
-Making the medium format forum a main category rather than a sub-forum (once it reaches 1,000 posts)

Feedback on this would be much appreciated.

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-05-2009, 03:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll need something more specific to start from. Keep throwing ideas at me and I'll see what I can do.
OK.

With respect to hardware organization and categories the real experts on this is B&H Photo and Adorama. They have been doing this successfully and profitably for years.

Browse their websites and see how they categorize and sub categorize their products.

I know a retail outlet and a forum have different purposes but still I think there is much to be learned from these stores and how they organize products and, perhaps, forums as well.

Wildman

04-05-2009, 03:43 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I can see some potential in changing the way our Accessories forum currently works, as well as possibly SLR lens discussion.

The problem is that if I wanted to fully structure the forum layout categorically, I'd end up with way more sub-forums than anyone would want.

Adam

04-05-2009, 03:50 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

A thought for a potetial new layout:

-Our Pentax Forum
>News
>Sugestions
>Welcomes
>General Talk

-Photography
>General Pentax Photography
>Professional Photography and Business
>Post-Processing and Software
>Beginner's Corner Q&A
>The Photgrapher's Marketplace

-Camera Discussion
>DSLR
>Film SLR
>Medium Format
>Compact Cameras

-Camera Accessories
>Tripods, cases, bags, etc.
>Memory, flashes, cables, and other accessories
>Lenses
>Everything Else
>Links to lens review database

-Photo Galleries
>Post your photos
>Critique
>Mini Challenges
>Official Contests
>Link to User Gallery

While I think this layout would be very easy to follow, I don't like the fact that we'd be looking at 5 main categories, as opposed to the current 3.

Adam

04-05-2009, 06:09 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
-Camera Discussion
>DSLR
>Film SLR
>Medium Format
>Compact Cameras

-Camera Accessories
>Lenses
>Everything Else
I think "Lenses" should belong to the "Camera Discussion" instead of "Accessories". Basically, a *camera* is a lens mounted on a body! :-)
04-05-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
Pentaxian

-Our Pentax Forum
>News
>Sugestions
>Welcomes
>General Talk

-Photography
>General Pentax Photography
>Professional Photography and Business
>Post-Processing and Software
>Beginner's Corner Q&A
>The Photgrapher's Marketplace

-Camera Discussion
>DSLR
>Film SLR
>Medium Format
>Compact Cameras

-Camera Accessories
>Lenses
>Everything Else

-Photo Galleries
>Post your photos
>Critique
>Mini Challenges
>Official Contests
>Link to User Gallery

While I think this layout would be very easy to follow, I don't like the fact that we'd be looking at 5 main categories, as opposed to the current 3.
I would like to see a few categories based on use and purpose rather than narrowly on hardware alone.

Such categories might be in no particular order:
1. Macro photography
2. Landscape and scenic photography
3. Wildlife photography
4. Portraiture and Family photography
5. Street Photography
You get the idea.

Rarely does someone just want a "lens" in the abstract but rather one intended for a specific purpose like one of the above categories. In that case if, for instance, you wanted advice on a lens for portraiture you would more likely be given advice from those who have had real experience and knowledge of portraiture techniques and gear than in a catch-all category like "lens'".

Something to think about.

04-05-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The problem with that is that the forum will become significantly harder to browse, and threads will not be as easy to locate. I'm not going to go down that road, for now. Perhaps I can come up with an alternatuve soultion, i.e. using prefixes to sub-categorize threads within the same forum.

Adam

04-05-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

After some revision, I've come up with a new hierarcy. I will post this in a separate thread and gather more feedback.

Adam