Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2007, 03:53 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
Hey, I'm a webmaster, not a designer

After all the PMs I'm getting, it looks like I should have hosted a logo competition...
Why not, if you have the time??

04-12-2007, 04:04 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hey, I'm a webmaster, not a designer

After all the PMs I'm getting, it looks like I should have hosted a logo competition...
Great idea!!!
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Yeah, apologies first, I am going to be brutal.

It's pretty bad. It's a graphic design cliche to use something obviously inherent to the topic. Example: Fedex could have used a speeding truck, piles of boxes, happy guy in uniform, etc., instead of graphically burying an arrow in manipulated text: simple and brilliant.

Another graphic design mistake is to layer images supposedly pertinent to the topic. They usually look busy and don't reproduce at other scales.

A graphic design exercise is to assess designs at all sizes, black and white, greys, etc., simulating all possible miscreant uses of it. This one looks crayon drawing like at this scale, reduced it'll probably be a red blob.

This logo would look acceptable if just the "Pentax Forums" words were used. Otherwise, it's a mistake.

Again, apologies for being negative: the bad logo doesn't suit this excellent website.
04-12-2007, 06:22 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Donald Quote
Yeah, apologies first, I am going to be brutal.

It's pretty bad. It's a graphic design cliche to use something obviously inherent to the topic. Example: Fedex could have used a speeding truck, piles of boxes, happy guy in uniform, etc., instead of graphically burying an arrow in manipulated text: simple and brilliant.

Another graphic design mistake is to layer images supposedly pertinent to the topic. They usually look busy and don't reproduce at other scales.

A graphic design exercise is to assess designs at all sizes, black and white, greys, etc., simulating all possible miscreant uses of it. This one looks crayon drawing like at this scale, reduced it'll probably be a red blob.

This logo would look acceptable if just the "Pentax Forums" words were used. Otherwise, it's a mistake.

Again, apologies for being negative: the bad logo doesn't suit this excellent website.
It's officially scraped now.

As much as I hate plain-text logos, this one (designed by pentaxshooter) might be a good fit:

Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's officially scraped now.

As much as I hate plain-text logos, this one (designed by pentaxshooter) might be a good fit:
I like this one better Mo. No offense against your sincere efforts, BTW thank you.

NaCl(I wouldn't have even attempted it)H2O
04-12-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
Veteran Member

I let you down Mo, I am at work but not able to get anything done, I see what i want in my head, but dont have the time to do it. its your site, but I think a contest would be cool/fun if you wanna open it up to everyone.
04-12-2007, 07:48 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm still open to ideas, but I don't really have time for a full-scale contest. PM me with what you've got and we'll talk about it

Thanks!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-12-2007, 08:59 PM   #23
Veteran Member

still a work in progress, but am working w/ mo to get it perfect....tho i hear there are some other ideas out there...

more to come soon
04-12-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bdavis Quote
I like the logo, Mo.

It looked a bit squiggly at first, but then I realized what you were imitating. Perhaps the star could be removed, and the schematic of the aperture blades could be reduced to a clean, thin line.
I agree - ditch the star. The idea is good, but it needs a bit more work imho.

Edit: should have read the whole thread first - I like the idea of a quick contest and poll.
04-13-2007, 03:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Just throwing out some ideas which I threw together quickly.
Attached Images

04-13-2007, 04:09 AM   #26
Inactive Account

No problem but you had me go back and check it again...
I guess getting a thesis on the brain hurts a bit. How cool btw, I wish you good luck with that!
04-13-2007, 07:18 AM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Toshi Quote
Just throwing out some ideas which I threw together quickly.
Toshi, would you mind blowing up and e-mailing me the PSD for that logo? I really, really like how you incorporated the star in there

Adam

04-13-2007, 08:05 AM   #28
Veteran Member

What about something like this? Toshi, please forgive me for grabbing part of your logo, but it was a great style.

Attachment 2149

I had to resize this down to get it to load and it is just a draft but you can get the general idea.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-01-2008 at 09:23 AM.
04-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #29
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Mike, I like the top half of your logo, but not the bottom. If you fix up the resolution I'll find a way to use it.

Toshi's logo is befinitely being used on the new skin,

Adam

04-13-2007, 08:29 AM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Mike, I like the top half of your logo, but not the bottom. If you fix up the resolution I'll find a way to use it.

Toshi's logo is befinitely being used on the new skin, which

Adam

Closed Thread