Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2007, 03:01 AM   #46
Inactive Account

Codiac... the text 'your friendly pentax forums' is too small... It's jsut too grahic heavy anyway for a logo.

Sounds to me like you need to decide on a name before you get a logo designed!!!

04-15-2007, 04:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wrong law anyway... The name PENTAX would be protected by TRADEMARK.

And as Adam says, there is always that disclaimer which in the case of a site like this should prove more than sufficient even if Pentax were so insane as to alienate their most supportive customers.

Oh, and the copyright holder can indeed incur more of a burden of proof if he has allowed use before, but that does not invalidate his copyright. Use can be granted or denied at will and at any time to whomever he desires and for whatever purpose.

There is also the concept of "fair use" which would apply in our case.

...and no, I am not a lawyer, nor do I play one on TV. This is just my opinion based on several books I've read over the past 40-odd years.

Last edited by MRRiley; 04-15-2007 at 05:33 AM.
04-15-2007, 06:46 AM   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Codiac... the text 'your friendly pentax forums' is too small... It's jsut too grahic heavy anyway for a logo.

Sounds to me like you need to decide on a name before you get a logo designed!!!
I don't buy that so much because at this point in time companies all over use logos that are very detailed and if you shrink it down it's all still legible so maybe just a difference in techniques from two graphic designers. It can all be simplified even more but then you loose the meaning of the lens graphic and that approach used to make it stand out. My only suggestion for a simpler less "heavy" look would be almost all text with some sort of interest point that surrounds a portion of the text. A modern approach would be finding some shape he'd be interested in and incorporating the shape and the letters PF but it would be just that, some letters made fancy. If I get a chance I'll produce something easier and modern to compare with so maybe later lol.
04-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #49
Veteran Member

How about the shape that defined the first Asahi Pentax and gave it the name,? The Pentaprism...

Attachment 2173

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-01-2008 at 09:23 AM.
04-15-2007, 07:29 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Hmmm... that would be fun but a difficult shape to work with. Do you have a good picture of just the pentaprism not all the housing and such? Probably somewhere on the net. Could work out quite well actually. I'm off to dig for pictures of it and others to work with for other ideas.
04-15-2007, 07:30 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I believe that logo must be simple, straightforward and I guess banner shaped. Heres' my suggestion (or an idea to work on)

04-15-2007, 07:59 AM   #52
Veteran Member

K10D Pentaprism

Here is a pic of the K10D pentaprism

Attachment 2175

If a simple side-view line drawing is better that would be simple to do...

Last edited by MRRiley; 07-01-2008 at 09:23 AM.
04-15-2007, 08:08 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Allow me to make a quick fix of previous version:

04-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Matjazz... I sorta like that concept. It definatley implies a discussion forum...
04-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #55
Inactive Account

Interesting Codiac... I'd like to see these logos of which you speak of...

... you could shrink yours down to check... say 56 pixels height would be good so it could be used for banner ads in the future (that's what I design logos to work at these days) ... infact why not treat yourself to 100pixels high and see what you can read? .. no cheating now! ;-)

Text online is much harder to read at small sizes that in print.

Aaaaanyway...

I like the speach bubble 'idea' for a logo a lot. Nice concept.. pentax says 'photography' .. speech bubbles says 'coversation'... makes the site look very active.. which it is! The design is contemporary too and with final touches could look great.

I like the 'people' drawing better on the second go but I like the fact that 'pentax forums' is more prominent in the first one. I'd be inclined to lose the people all together as the speech bubbles say it all already and it's v big. Although you could have a big version with people and a small version without for other uses.
04-15-2007, 12:09 PM   #56
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matjazz Quote
Allow me to make a quick fix of previous version:

Matjazz,

I really like this logo as well, and although I won't be able to use it in the header, I'm sure I'll find other places on the site to put it. Thanks!

BTW, I'm making the new skin public at any time now. There's just a little surprise that's taking longer than expected to finish

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #57
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Christian Quote
Interesting Codiac... I'd like to see these logos of which you speak of...

... you could shrink yours down to check... say 56 pixels height would be good so it could be used for banner ads in the future (that's what I design logos to work at these days) ... infact why not treat yourself to 100pixels high and see what you can read? .. no cheating now! ;-)
Note 1: You have the internet look into logos and you'll find thousands that vary from simple to complex. Your own experiences have maybe been one sided in the logo industry like for bars I work for their logos vary from majorly complex (ocean scene with sunset and text across) to a simple font as their logo.

Note 2: You have photoshop? Resize it and see for yourself, better than say me just making up what I see
04-15-2007, 07:27 PM   #58
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The new style/logo has now been announced here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/5827-new-forum-look.html#post47921

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, guys!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
Closed Thread