Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2009, 05:26 AM   #61
Inactive Account

Let's see - eBay charges a listing fee AND a commision based on the selling price once the item sells...And this is for EACH item...Retail shops will probably only give you HALF of what they can sell the item for...PF wants to "charge" $10 to sell AS MANY ITEMS AS YOU WANT...

I'd say you're getting an absolute bargain!

I sold my entire Pentax system here in a matter of days, with very little hassle (aside from trying to keep track of all the PMs coming in!) I gave PF a nice donation, it was the least I could do to "thank" them for providing this community.

Don't like the new rules, go sell on DPReview

05-20-2009, 06:04 AM   #62
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
To be honest, the donation is hardly enough to cover the cost of maintaining the site. Not to mention the time Adam has spent on this forum without any payment and advertising. A programmer would be paid about 80-100 US dollars per hour work to maintain, redesign or revise the site here. My first job pay rate is about 220 US dollars per hour. Adam is doing his time without payment.

The post count number indicates how much a member cares to be involved in here. This does contribute to a potential barrier to spammers to bypass this hurdle without being detected by mod team or reporting members in the forum.

No spin doctor stuff going on here. Everyone can see that the donation is a way to put things into perspective for Adam's effort. Or a membership fee if you want to call it that way. I do urge you not to re-state the obvious and try to be the wiser one.
I am well aware of what such costs can run up to (in fact, they are even higher up here in Canada...perhaps because it's colder...), but your own words (conveniently bolded ) only highlight my point. I'm not trying to be negative or be a dick, but let's not kid ourselves here. I will also admit that I am not quite sure I catch your drift with your last sentence...care to elaborate?

Once again, I will go on record in saying that I SUPPORT and UNDERSTAND such a (as you called it) "Membership Fee"...all I'm saying is just call it that and ditch the smokescreen effect! You'll only find the supporters (like myself!) will increase!

Am I the only one who feels this way? Or maybe I'm just delusional and in the minority here...if so, feel free to sweep me under the rug

-Paul
05-20-2009, 06:18 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I guess I have a reading comprehension problem, but I don't think the terms are as you've laid them out. At some point, again a point that's determined arbitrarily... Selling AS MANY ITEMS AS YOU WANT, as you put it, sounds a lot like a commercial listing to me.

Regards,
Mike
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote

PF wants to "charge" $10 to sell AS MANY ITEMS AS YOU WANT...

I'd say you're getting an absolute bargain!
05-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #64
Inactive Account

Well for me, I sold maybe 10 (?) items, that were all my personal items used by me, so my point was I didn't have to pay a listing fee/final value fee for each item that sold like I would on eBay.

QuoteOriginally posted by X Man Quote
I guess I have a reading comprehension problem, but I don't think the terms are as you've laid them out. At some point, again a point that's determined arbitrarily... Selling AS MANY ITEMS AS YOU WANT, as you put it, sounds a lot like a commercial listing to me.

Regards,
Mike

05-20-2009, 08:08 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
To be honest, the donation is hardly enough to cover the cost of maintaining the site. Not to mention the time Adam has spent on this forum without any payment and advertising. A programmer would be paid about 80-100 US dollars per hour work to maintain, redesign or revise the site here. My first job pay rate is about 220 US dollars per hour. Adam is doing his time without payment.
OT, you did a job that paid $220 an hour doing websites? serious? 80-100 maintaining forums, really?
05-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #66
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Already got the K-7 as your Avatar I see, k100d!
05-20-2009, 11:52 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
OT, you did a job that paid $220 an hour doing websites? serious? 80-100 maintaining forums, really?
Not for doing the website. I have three jobs...

05-21-2009, 05:51 AM   #68

I have seen bb forum restrictions on market, but i think this one is excessive... 1000 posts?! ive been here a few months and i barely have >100 and i know there are probably lurkers who have been members for years and have <50 posts so even getting up to 200 sounds hard .

i was just trying to sell some cheap pentax remotes i found at ritz and help some other forums members out, but having to pay $10 would cost me money in the end... (no joke). if i had to sell a nice lens $10 is chump change but for cheap stuff it doesnt make it worth it.
05-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #69

I am certainly surprised at so many questioning the reasoning/logic behind the new marketplace rules. I am one of those supposed lurkers with few postings but garner so much knowledge by reading posts from those with much more experience than I. I have been a site supporter over 2 years now and have made several purchases in the marketplace to help me along my photograhic journey. I met a fellow Pentaxian that lives withing 25 miles and have fostered a friendship, all for the small donation of $10. When will we as a people stop complaining about so much of life and start living it? I am very happy to be here and do very much appreciate the efforts of the all involved running this site. I have seen at least one of our members lose money in the marketplace so I appreciate the new measures to try to protect us. Continue the mission and live life like it is your last day! Make the most of it.

Best Regards To All
05-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Already got the K-7 as your Avatar I see, k100d!
no the camera in my avatar is better, it's an MZ-S
05-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #71

I think what Adam is doing makes a lot of sense. As a forum member I have been fortunate enough to have access to a vast wealth of not only knowledge of Pentax equipment but also of Photography in general. I have been neglegent in sending in a donation, which I plan to rectify shortly. If you consider what it would cost to learn some of the information we get here for free you can easily see for yourself what a bargin you are getting.

Having been the photographer for a volunteer organization I understand all of the requirements and work that go into maintaining a web site. Running a site like this forum which is superior to even the user forums I participate in that are run by software companies, takes a tremendous amount of effort, time and MONEY. The cost of server space alone can quickly creep up on you. Every time we post pictures or another short post we take up space. Adam has done a wonderful job of providing all of us with a great resource for Free and only requests donations. Asking for a 10$ donation to post something for sale in the marketplace is not an unreasonable request. Adam could just as easily tell everyone that in order to be a member of the Forum you have to pay 10$ per year. Which would you prefer?
05-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #72
Pentaxian

I'm as cheap as they come and I don't think this is in anyway unreasonable. $10/year is very reasonable ($100 yr for commercial resellers is not bad either). If you don't want to pay the $10, use craigslist.

Even though I haven't sold anything here, it did remind me to donate. I think it's one of the best $10 I ever spent.
05-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #73
Inactive Account

Not a big problem for me, I have bought a couple items now, but am not a seller here. Plus I was going to donate anyway per my Gentleman's Agreement with pcarfan. Yes the members share knowledge for free but it cost money to maintain the site- server storage, domain name, time involved, etc... I have run local car forums, and use to run BBS's in the days when most people didn't know about the internet.

The same thing happened on a German car forum I belong to. They have a clasifieds area for the day to day users to buy, sell, and trade. They ended up making a separate area for commercial vendors that paid to advertise though (and placed a few banner ads here and there) because some of the vendors were... lets say a little over zealous with the posting.

There is also a separate thread on that forum that is all freebies now- People giving away misc items, vendors giving away swag to members like decals, tag frames, etc... A freecycle type thread with no restrictions might be an idea here - Someone just mailed a film camera to me for free for my car club pal, I have a parts camera and some misc bits I was going to give away after I cleaned the closet this weekend.

Last edited by Rustyoldbug; 05-21-2009 at 03:44 PM. Reason: BIG typo
05-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #74
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by eyou Quote
I have seen bb forum restrictions on market, but i think this one is excessive... 1000 posts?! ive been here a few months and i barely have >100 and i know there are probably lurkers who have been members for years and have <50 posts so even getting up to 200 sounds hard .

i was just trying to sell some cheap pentax remotes i found at ritz and help some other forums members out, but having to pay $10 would cost me money in the end... (no joke). if i had to sell a nice lens $10 is chump change but for cheap stuff it doesnt make it worth it.

There's always ebay.
05-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #75
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
I don't know how will it help against fraudulent users. Would I be one, I would be happy to pay $10 for the right to post to the marketplace and then to sell non-existing FA 31mm limited for $600...

If you would restrict marketplace to Pentaxians, then yes, it would help to avoid fraudulent sellers. However now any fraudulent seller can buy the right to sell for $10.

And what about those poor forum members who are not Pentaxians, however have few positive feedbacks as a sellers?
If they "buy" a right to sell on the Marketplace, they will have a more traceable trail than otherwise.
Closed Thread