Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I'm new...how do sellers normally expect payment? PayPal? Personal Check?

Is it the honor system essentially? I trust the seller will ship when s/he has payment?
I was concerned about that too but I think you'll find most of the people here are honorable, normal people and do business legitimately.

Most sales are done through paypal and the things I've bought from the site were always shipped the next day and arrived quickly.

I would just say that as long as you have good, clear communication, you should be fine.

Good luck.

05-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Suddenly Can't Post an Item for Sale?

I've sold a good bit of stuff on the Marketplace, gotten good feedback, and bought as well, happily.

All of a sudden, I am not being allowed to post "For Sale" items.

What have I done wrong?
05-31-2009, 10:54 PM   #33
Forum Member

Same story. I have a perfect feedback, sold some of the stuff that I did not need by more than moderate prices and now access denied????
05-31-2009, 10:58 PM   #34
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I've sold a good bit of stuff on the Marketplace, gotten good feedback, and bought as well, happily.

All of a sudden, I am not being allowed to post "For Sale" items.

What have I done wrong?
QuoteOriginally posted by yb_abq Quote
Same story. I have a perfect feedback, sold some of the stuff that I did not need by more than moderate prices and now access denied????
You haven't done anything wrong, changes have been made; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/60436-changes-marketplace-access.html

06-01-2009, 12:41 PM   #35
Forum Member

changes to the marketplace access

About the changes to the marketplace access. First, I see a clear contradiction between the site rules at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/1-forum-rules.html and the new changes. Second, the new changes are aimed at making everybody donate which I suppose contradicts to the very notion of "donation". I understand that the web-site needs financial support, just not sure it's the right way to do it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
06-01-2009, 12:45 PM   #36
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by yb_abq Quote
About the changes to the marketplace access. First, I see a clear contradiction between the site rules at https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/1-forum-rules.html and the new changes. Second, the new changes are aimed at making everybody donate which I suppose contradicts to the very notion of "donation". I understand that the web-site needs financial support, just not sure it's the right way to do it.
Your right, the site rules need updating. Why don't you PM Adam about it?
As for making everyone donate, I disagree with you there, you don't have to use the Marketplace and you don't have to donate. Feel free to sell any stuff you have on Ebay, they don't have donations.
BTW, after looking at your statistics, out of 58 posts, you have started 24 For Sale threads. Out of those 58 posts, only 1 hasn't been in the Marketplace. After seeing that and your comments here, one could be forgiven for making the assumption that you are selling for profit (and should be paying for Reseller privileges) and being cheap. It seems like Pentax Forums has made a much larger donation to you than you have made to it.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 06-01-2009 at 12:54 PM.
06-01-2009, 01:02 PM   #37
jeffkpotter

It seems like Pentax Forums has made a much larger donation to you than you have made to it.
That's a good one!

06-01-2009, 01:13 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm okay with the new rule. I was just surprised at suddenly being blocked and spent a lot of time checking if I was logged in, did I have a problem with my password, was my internet access messed up, etc. I missed the general announcement about the donation.

No doubt: the forum certainly has given me more than enough value to merit a donation. I'm totally good with that and happy to do it. I think somehow I just missed that announcement and had an awkward time trying to figure out what happened.

All's well now, though!
06-01-2009, 01:17 PM   #39
Forum Member

BTW, as you may noticed, PentaxForums.com - The Largest Pentax-Dedicated Photography Forum Community- Home is not my life and I am pretty sure that I will never have 7000+ postings here. Which does not prevent me to use it once in awhile both at the marketplace, lens reviews, etc. And I do not see why it may be wrong. Another thing I am not sure it is ethical to judge other people by the number of posts and make assumptions of who benefits whom.
I expressed my disagreement with the changes and immediately received quite a rude response. Thank you.

Your right, the site rules need updating. Why don't you PM Adam about it?
As for making everyone donate, I disagree with you there, you don't have to use the Marketplace and you don't have to donate. Feel free to sell any stuff you have on Ebay, they don't have donations.
BTW, after looking at your statistics, out of 58 posts, you have started 24 For Sale threads. Out of those 58 posts, only 1 hasn't been in the Marketplace. After seeing that and your comments here, one could be forgiven for making the assumption that you are selling for profit (and should be paying for Reseller privileges) and being cheap. It seems like Pentax Forums has made a much larger donation to you than you have made to it.
06-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #40
Damn Brit

With all due respect, my response wasn't rude, I was just making an observation that many others would make.
It was you who brought the attention on yourself by making your feelings known and thank you for that.
Based on your statistics, unless you can prove that you aren't selling for profit, only a reseller donation will be acceptable if you wish to continue using the Marketplace.
06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd just add that the level of donation for us typical sellers is so low…it's really no big deal. Do we begrudge the forum $10-$20? I've sold hundreds of dollars worth of my old stuff here, with not a single bad deal. I've bought some things at great prices, again, excellent deals.

That's a very special club to belong to and a few bucks donation isn't a lot to pay for the privilege.
06-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #42
Forum Member

OK. I did not know that "making my feeling known" was a wrong thing. Now I see -- you intimidate me with a reseller donation. I am very surprised to see such intolerance on the forum. What is your criteria for a non-profit seller? How do you interpret statistics? Do you seriously think I made money on a $10 camera bag or a $15 lens?

With all due respect, my response wasn't rude, I was just making an observation that many others would make.
It was you who brought the attention on yourself by making your feelings known and thank you for that.
Based on your statistics, unless you can prove that you aren't selling for profit, only a reseller donation will be acceptable if you wish to continue using the Marketplace.
06-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I agree when you sell on the board you shouldn't have to "donate" to put a for sale post. Instead of saying donate, I think it should say seller fees. A one time fee of $10 or more a year to sell on this board. This way everyone will be happy.

Btw, I don't mind paying a fee to sell my gears on the board. I think it is a great idea because this will cut down on scammers.
06-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #44
Forum Member

I agree. Let's call it a fee. It would be straightforward and people won't be misled by the forum rules.

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote
I agree when you sell on the board you shouldn't have to "donate" to put a for sale post. Instead of saying donate, I think it should say seller fees. A one time fee of $10 or more a year to sell on this board. This way everyone will be happy.

Btw, I don't mind paying a fee to sell my gears on the board. I think it is a great idea because this will cut down on scammers.
06-01-2009, 03:26 PM   #45
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperAkuma Quote

The 'donation' for a non-reseller also includes the other benefits of Site Supporter.
Rules change, that's life.
Closed Thread