Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #1

Possible search improvement

Would it be possible to swap the default vBulletin search mechanism for the Google search mechanism when using the search menu from the top toolbar?

There have been quite a number of threads recently where individuals have stated problems searching for "K-7" related articles. Perhaps by swapping in the Google search mechanism we can improve everyone's experience and cut down on duplication / redundancy? If this can't be done perhaps we could change the layout of the advanced search screen such that the Google search panel is the first / top panel a user sees?

06-05-2009, 06:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This feature already exists under the advanced search page.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This feature already exists under the advanced search page.
Yup, but a lot of users (myself included) seem to miss it. On smaller res screens or small windows it takes a bit of scrolling to get to that panel. I imagine a lot of us are just used to typing in our search criteria into the first free form text field we see and hitting enter. With the way the advanced search screen is laid out now that text field just happens to be a rehash of the default vBulletin search field from the top menu. IMHO we could get a much better search experience by just moving that panel up to the top in the advanced search screen as suggested in my original post (my apologies if I wasn't clear in my suggestion).
06-05-2009, 07:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll think about it. I honestly don't think scrolling one page is so difficult, considering how rarely the google search has to be used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I'll think about it. I honestly don't think scrolling one page is so difficult, considering how rarely the google search has to be used.
Perhaps we could put it up to a vote?

I've also created a small mockup of the advanced search screen changes I was referring to (see attached).
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip search_mockup.zip (75.6 KB, 39 views)