Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #16

Still no joy

It seems other iPhone users are experiencing the same thing. I've followed the instructions below, double-checked, and re-checked. Cleared all cookies and cache on the Mobile Safari, logged in, and followed the link prescribed. It still loads the mobile skin.

If this is done server-side and not code running in the browser, I wonder why the BlackBerry gets served the correct page but the iPhone doesn't? What info is the server requesting from browsers?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you have the default skin in your user cp set to something other than the mobile skin, if you set the option to 'no', and if you clear your iPhone's cookies, you should be able to revert to the green skin on your iPhone by clicking this link: PentaxForums.com - Pentax Photography Forum (from your phone). Also, make sure you are logged in!!

It all works like a charm on my BB, and since the option is configured client side and not server-side, I don't see why it wouldn't work for you if you met all of the above conditions.

07-10-2009, 05:14 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have a suggestion to make.

I'm using an Ipod touch, and really like the mobile skin, a lot. EXCEPT for the pictures not showing. Could THAT be an option? Load the mobile skin (lightning fast) but with pictures actually embedded? I'm sure everyone would be happy that way.
07-10-2009, 05:45 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For those using limited data plans, that would be a killer. If you want images, simply switch back to the full skin.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2009, 02:45 PM   #19

But that's the point, Adam, we can't switch back to the full skin. It's now looking like more of an iPhone problem than a PF problem. If you could give us a little more technical detail on the server-side scripts for detecting the browser/user agent, then I will submit a bug report to Apple.

Thanks for all of your hard work. I've been on site admin teams before and now full well how hard and consternating maintaining a site such as this can be. If it makes you feel any better, I'm currently awash in some fussy Drupal issues.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you want images, simply switch back to the full skin.

07-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #20
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So, you're telling me that you're 100% sure that if you disable the mobile skin via your User CP options on the PC, and then log on from the iphone, you still get the mobile skin?
Remember that you NEED to be logged in to your account!

If that's the case, then perhaps the 3G S has a new useragent string. Let me know if it does and I'll look into it; I'm on the go at the moment and can't do the research.
07-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #21

I don't know about the 3G S, I'm using the original 3G. Yes, I have logged in via a PC, disabled the mobile skin in the User CP, cleared the cookies and cache on the iPhone, and then logged in through the iPhone and still get the mobile. Went to the address you sent above to force a skin switch and it still gave the mobile skin.

Just re-read one of your posts above and saw the the script ran client-side. Like others have said, seems to be a Mobile Safari issue.
07-16-2009, 12:30 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TysonG Quote
I don't know about the 3G S, I'm using the original 3G. Yes, I have logged in via a PC, disabled the mobile skin in the User CP, cleared the cookies and cache on the iPhone, and then logged in through the iPhone and still get the mobile. Went to the address you sent above to force a skin switch and it still gave the mobile skin.

Just re-read one of your posts above and saw the the script ran client-side. Like others have said, seems to be a Mobile Safari issue.
BUT, if it is a Mobile Safari issue, how come I could access the site on my iPhone for nearly 9 months, normally, (both 3g and wi-fi) then just a month or so (when I made the first post above) I was forced into the mobile skin, when I never upgraded the software on my iphone or even synced it leading up to this abrupt change.

So while it might be contended that the issue that allows or disallows the mobile mode of browsing is client-side, still I contend that some sort of change happened server side which forced this whole issue to begin with.

By the way the same issue developed last year for a while with another website (photography forum for N** brand) I frequented regularly as well as amazon.com. After complaining in concert with other iPod Touch and iPhone users, both Amazon, and the other photo site agreed to disable that from their sites.

Oh, btw, it isn't a 3G s or 3G issue, this is exactly the same on 3G, 3Gs and Wifi, (wifi on my own network and both in Canada and in US) on both my iPhone and iPod Touch, they both started this "mobile" deal at the same time (again no updating has been done on either)

07-16-2009, 12:51 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The thing (as I've said earlier) that's bugging me is that the skin preference feature is entirely server-side. If you receive the mobile skin by default, then then system has detected that you're on an iPhone. However, before that skin is applied, the script goes through a conditional which checks whether or not you've decided to disable the skin via the User CP.

Perhaps (and I will look), the conditional doesn't cover all useragent strings, in which case I can fix the problem. However, since everything's been working great on other devices (I've tested it with a Samsung, Palm, and Blackberry), I doubt this is the case.

I can say for a fact that the mobile skin has been a life-saver for me personally- and I didn't know it would be when I installed it. Having taken a month-long trip to Europe, each pageload is costing me only about 5k-20kb of data, which means that an international data plan of i.e. 20Mb will allow for substantial site usage. It also loads a deal faster than the full skin, and is easier to read- but I can see how the lack of media is getting in the way of domestic users, and I will do my best to make sure the skin preference system is working properly.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-16-2009, 12:57 PM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've discovered that the conditional may have omitted certain PDA and iPod/iPhone devices. Could you check how things are working right now and let me know please?

Adam

07-16-2009, 01:07 PM   #25

Works now for me on iPhone 3G/firmware 3.0 now. Thanks, Adam, for all your code-sleuthing!

Logging in via iPhone leads to a blank page, then manually going to PentaxForums.com/forums/ loads the site with a non-mobile skin.
07-16-2009, 08:42 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Adam, you are tha man!! Thank you for all your hard work getting that issue resolved.
07-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #27

Frustrating

QuoteOriginally posted by TysonG Quote
Works now for me on iPhone 3G/firmware 3.0 now. Thanks, Adam, for all your code-sleuthing!

Logging in via iPhone leads to a blank page, then manually going to PentaxForums.com/forums/ loads the site with a non-mobile skin.
Man, that was a serious hassle to get back to the normal skin on my iPhone 1.0
For further clarification, when you get to the blank screen you have to manually type in PentaxForums.com/forums/

Adam, is there any way that a button can be added to the fourms home page to "select full screen version" similar to what is done on facebook? The user CP option was hard to locate and this whole process was frustrating.

Thanks,
JayT
07-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #28
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As much as I would want to, I unfortunately can't add a direct full version link due to technical reasons which I won't take the time to explain. Luckily, the user CP option is a set-it-and-forget-it kind of deal, so I think it will do just fine for those who insist on not using the mobile skin.

Case closed.

P.S. If you're really desperate, get a BlackBerry- you can change the browser ID directly from the device

Adam

07-27-2009, 09:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Thank you, thank you, thank you! The mobile skin really was a distraction on an iPhone to me, as there was lots of wasted space and no easy way to zoom (except by pinching in). I feel that the regular skin takes advantage of the iPhone's browser. It's worth suffering a bit with the 3G.

Thanks again!
08-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #30

Just to say thank you for... the mobile skin, which looks reaaly good on my android phone, and quite fast on 3G (even usable on Edge)