Photos: Albums
I think 3d is more interactive

07-05-2009, 12:32 PM   #32
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by melon Quote
I wonder if the final versions of these layouts will remain available as a user option in the control panel. Have you considered this yet? For me this would be great.
It's either-or in this case. Considering that most template changes are manual, it wouldn't be reasonable for me to manage multiple copies of the same skin.

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
FWIW, I like the current version. To improve readability, I suggest that you look at improving the use of whitespace wherever possible. I find that in all of the options you list the text tends to be immediately adjacent other text and my eye wanders between them. I don't think that anyone's reading this with a screen where screen space is at such a premium that extra whitespace would hurt. (and I say this using the original AspireOne Acer laptop with a tiny screen)

Have you considered throwing the logo open to a design competition, by the way? Just my humble opinion, but I find both the current one and the (Demo 1?) Dallas Cowboys-like logo both pretty ... 1996. By way of contrast, I submit the APUG forums which use the same software.

APUG English Forums - APUG

P.S. Keep up the great work, I'm glad you're looking for ways of improving it. If I can use this space as a suggestion box, I'd vote to integrate the "groups", which currently don't see much traffic, with the normal forums area.
The logo used for the Simple Skin is nothing more than a placeholder, and I plan to leave it as such- for faster loading!

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The only thing I would change to the forum structure is to have a "my threads" equivalent function (if it exists, I never found it )
That option is found in the Quick Links dropdown, as well as in the Statistics tab of your profile.

QuoteOriginally posted by Art Vandelay II Quote
I like it as is (I use the red theme). Feel free to send these ideas to DPR though

Edit: I did just think of one thing. Is there any chance of you guys detecting for the iPhone and sending those users to the normal site instead of the mobile skin? Your mobile theme is way too dumbed down for the iPhone (and I imagine for the Palm Pre and Android based phones as well).
This option is found in the User CP. Go to the options page and scroll all the way down!

QuoteOriginally posted by PhilippeG Quote
While I'm at it, a thing I missed until recently is the "Go to first new post" button, because of it's location and look: it's the same image as the re-ordering links in the table header, and when placed before the title it looks like some kind of dropdown so I overlooked it. Pity as it's a very useful button!

Possible solution: giving it a different icon, like the one on the link to the last post (maybe with the same color as the topic's icon?) and group it with the other links at the right of the title.

Don't know if this would be easy to do, I don't no VB well.

That's actually a great idea, and would be easily doable. I'll do it! (for the red & green skins)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2009, 01:31 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That's actually a great idea, and would be easily doable. I'll do it! (for the red & green skins)
Wow, it's done already done! That was quick! Thank you

I was not sure about moving the button with the other links, but it seemed more consistent with the one in the "Last post" column and other details here and there.
I guess a bit of user testing will tell!
07-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #34
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've got a new demo skin and threadbit coming up as well. The previous poll/replies pretty much told us that the previous ideas we're worth implementing.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #35
emr

The new layout looks a bit high contrast to me, but the read new posts button is good. I used to use the old one, but it was so plain that it could be easily ignored.
07-05-2009, 01:41 PM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've just updated the original post and made the new demos available. Please keep the thoughts and suggestions coming!

Adam

07-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #37
jem

Regarding the updated poll: I voted for #1 though I like the bold highlighting for the user name in the Last Post column from choice #2. For me, it's a bit easier to read.

Love the new 'Go to first new post' button!

Would it be possible to add a 'mark all threads read' button? Or is there one I'm missing - besides the menu choice under forum tools?

07-05-2009, 02:03 PM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
Regarding the updated poll: I voted for #1 though I like the bold highlighting for the user name in the Last Post column from choice #2. For me, it's a bit easier to read.

Love the new 'Go to first new post' button!

Would it be possible to add a 'mark all threads read' button? Or is there one I'm missing - besides the menu choice under forum tools?
That can also be accomplished by double-clicking the forum's status icon on the forum index page, or via the quicklinks menu.

Because of the availability of these two additional options, I think a button would just be waste of space.

Adam

07-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #39
Veteran Member

the links in the OP don't work

the image is too small to read

therefore voting "as is"
07-05-2009, 02:12 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
They do- try again! If you still run into problems, clear your cookies.

Adam

07-05-2009, 02:14 PM   #41
jem

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
That can also be accomplished by double-clicking the forum's status icon on the forum index page, or via the quicklinks menu.

Because of the availability of these two additional options, I think a button would just be waste of space.
And both methods I currently use - but always preceeded by my browser refresh button to shake loose any new posts that have appeared while I am actively reading a forum branch. Just trying to minimize the time between the refresh & the mark all read actions so I don't "loose" a post I might want to read. Thanks anyway!
07-05-2009, 03:33 PM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jem Quote
And both methods I currently use - but always preceeded by my browser refresh button to shake loose any new posts that have appeared while I am actively reading a forum branch. Just trying to minimize the time between the refresh & the mark all read actions so I don't "loose" a post I might want to read. Thanks anyway!
Maybe a text link somewhere will be appropriate later down the road, after further template changes are made.

Another update: usernames in the last post info table are now bold in both the #1 and #2 designs.

Adam

07-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #43
Veteran Member

can you change the colour of those big green boxes that take me to the first post to a less intrusive colour? like the light grey for the last post?
07-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #44
Veteran Member

I like #1 ,a lways like to see what time last post was as opposed to who posted it, but am ok with leave as is also.
07-05-2009, 08:29 PM   #45
Veteran Member

I like number 1 over 2 but can live with what we presently have also. jim
Closed Thread