Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 03:22 AM   #61
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Can't please everyone! Thanks for the input; I'll continue making tweaks.

07-07-2009, 05:05 AM   #62
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
However, your change has gone in the opposite direction, for the following three reasons:
Falk, try the "Classic Skin". It still seems to work the way you prefer it (or Adam has changed the other skins back anyhow).
07-07-2009, 05:54 AM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Falk, try the "Classic Skin". It still seems to work the way you prefer it (or Adam has changed the other skins back anyhow).
Thanks a lot, as Classic skin still has the "first unread icons" being aligned. Adam changed that in the other skins already.

But I am not sure why Adam explicitely asks for opinions in this thread and when getting a detailed suggestion, replies with a "Can't please everyone!". This is odd.

Last edited by falconeye; 07-07-2009 at 06:09 AM.
07-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #64
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
You're odd

Just kidding! I will be working on the design again tonight and will hopefully come up with something.

Regarding the icon alignment- I like the idea of having a brightly colored button, and while it may seem nice to have the button to the right of the thread title, the loss of functionality mentioned above concerns me. We'll see what I can come up with later.

07-07-2009, 12:24 PM   #65
Veteran Member

Well you really can't please everyone. I know this from having my own forums. There's always someone that won't like what you're doing, and they will think that they are important enough for you to not change it because of them.
07-07-2009, 02:27 PM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well you really can't please everyone.
Sure, but Falk raised some very valid points. It is a hard rule in user interface design that you must not let basic controls jump around so that users have to chase them instead of knowing where they are independent of other content.

Thanks Adam, for agreeing that the "jumping buttons" are a concern.
07-07-2009, 02:35 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Regarding the icon alignment- I like the idea of having a brightly colored button, and while it may seem nice to have the button to the right of the thread title, the loss of functionality mentioned above concerns me.
You got my point and so I am happy. I know that it is impossible to implement everybodies' wishes.

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
they will think that they are important enough for you
to not change it because of them.
I hope you didn't mean me. Because this wasn't my point. My point was that I invested an 8 line article making a precise suggestion for improvement after Adam asked for suggestions. And I only got a "Can't please everyone" response. Listening was all I expected.

Fortunately, Adam fixed it now.

EDIT:
Class A beat me. Consider my post void (but I am not man enough to delete it )

07-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #68
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I will shortly revert to having the icons aligned to the left of the title, though they will keep the new noticeable green & red coloring. I will also be scrapping the 'statistics' column idea for now, although the bold font face for usernames under the 'latest post' column will remain.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-09-2009, 02:37 PM   #69
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm taking down the demo skin for now, but saving the templates in case they come in handy later on. The above changes have now been made, and I think we're 'good' for now

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #70
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Wow, someone voted and bumped the thread. This suggested change has long-since been rejected; I'm thus closing the thread.

Adam

Closed Thread