Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I would like some clarification on commenting on prices

The forum rules simply state that commenting on price is not allowed:
QuoteQuote:
Public commenting on the price of any item is not allowed. Although the site staff will remove listings with suspicious pricing, we ask that members do not publicly intervene unless a scam is suspected and that all communication regarding pricing (and purchasing) is conducted via PM. Within each marketplace thread, users may ask questions about the item offered for sale, notify the seller of a PM or status change, or discuss technical details as well as shipping.
Yet this rule seem only to be enforced when the comment on price is negative. I was just going through the first page of listings in Marketplace and there are several messages by others not the OP stating things like "This is a good price" or some such wording. If I am to understand the above quoted rule correctly even these statements are not and should not be allowed.

If we cannot comment negatively on a price we feel is out of line, then why can we place a positive message within the same thread. I believe the intent was to not allow anyone to be taken advantage of in the marketplace by price gouging, hence the provision for using PMs and the feedback system. It does seem an inequitable and arbitrary interpretation of the rules to allow positive price comments.

If a moderator can explain, with sound reasoning why there is a double standard when commenting on price I am ready to accept such.

07-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The wording in the rules is old and obviously has some ambiguity, and may need to be re-written.

In simplest terms, what the above quote means is that if a comment has the potential to screw up a sale, then it is not allowed. However, I'll gladly allow any positive or 'natural' comments regarding an item as long as they don't ruin somebody's sale or falsely promote it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: