Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unexpected Downtime

The site just experienced an unanticipated 10-minute downtime which was caused by database maintenance / cleanup. We apologize for the inconvenience!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
An additional reboot between 5:45 and 5:49 was needed, as well as board closure between 6:00 and 6:05 PM.

All database issues have now been resolved and the site will remain online for good!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-24-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Damn Brit

Famous last words.

It's 3.14am here.

WE'RE BACK!
07-24-2009, 03:19 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Phew. I was getting worried and suffering withdrawal symptoms

07-24-2009, 03:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Famous last words.

It's 3.14am here.

WE'RE BACK!
Just in time for Pi
07-24-2009, 03:47 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Did you stay up all night? I almost did, but that's because I was busy working with my hosting company. The server control panel software broke, and they had to fix it.

Prior to that, the downtime was caused by something within my control. Just after the site came back up for 'good', the other problem had to kick in.

I will be sending out an official e-mail announcement about all this shortly. I apologize for the inconvenience in advance, although I can still not guarantee when we'll "officially" be back online.

The server's HTTP service is once again running, but several things are still broken and still need to be worked on before we're back 100%.

Adam

07-24-2009, 03:55 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
OK- now it's official! We're back!

Adam

07-24-2009, 03:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I sleep in fits and am almost always up for a bit every 2-3hrs at the most so I peek into places and see how things are...tonight I made a whole 2-3/4hrs sleep before waking up an hour ago or so...about time to head off for another couple hrs.

As for the server, heck it happens, servers have part fail, dns records *poof*, databases blow their indexes or write-cache, records don't fully update, you name it!!...stuff just happens. Sorry you had to spend so much time with it. Anyone who has worked "the biz" understands...we appreciate the dedication!!

Plus I was not joking about the pie...I was sneaking a snack when it came back up...hehehe...pecan I made the other day.

07-24-2009, 03:56 AM   #9
Damn Brit

Having the baby means I keep strange hours, it was just by chance that it came back as I was about to turn my computer off.
It's a testament to you Adam that this caused quite a panic. This site is much loved.
07-24-2009, 04:02 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I sleep in fits and am almost always up for a bit every 2-3hrs at the most so I peek into places and see how things are...tonight I made a whole 2-3/4hrs sleep before waking up an hour ago or so...about time to head off for another couple hrs.

As for the server, heck it happens, servers have part fail, dns records *poof*, databases blow their indexes or write-cache, records don't fully update, you name it!!...stuff just happens. Sorry you had to spend so much time with it. Anyone who has worked "the biz" understands...we appreciate the dedication!!

Plus I was not joking about the pie...I was sneaking a snack when it came back up...hehehe...pecan I made the other day.
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Having the baby means I keep strange hours, it was just by chance that it came back as I was about to turn my computer off.
It's a testament to you Adam that this caused quite a panic. This site is much loved.
Thanks for the kind words.

Yup, from time to time, accidents and mishaps do happen. Luckily, the last time we faced downtime was 11 months ago, when the post table (which is the largest of them all) crashed following some maintenance. That took a few reboots and repair operations, but just as today's problem, ended up being resolved within 12 hours.

On the bright side- I did manage to clean up some old stuff in the database, optimize tables, AND upload a few new graphics for the Modern Green and Red skins.

Adam

07-24-2009, 04:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Thanks for the kind words.

Yup, from time to time, accidents and mishaps do happen. Luckily, the last time we faced downtime was 11 months ago, when the post table (which is the largest of them all) crashed following some maintenance. That took a few reboots and repair operations, but just as today's problem, ended up being resolved within 12 hours.

On the bright side- I did manage to clean up some old stuff in the database, optimize tables, AND upload a few new graphics for the Modern Green and Red skins.
See there ya go...a cup half-full sorta thing. And for me I had a nice surprise here as a nice spendy item just sold in my eBay store to a person in the UK. Just more for the "lens fund" which before LBA & this evil place, was the "food and bills fund"...hehehehe...
07-24-2009, 04:32 AM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Hah!

I'm currently in the process of sending out the e-mails, but that's going slower than ever- about 1 e-mail/sec instead of the normal 10/sec.

Looks like we'll have to sacrifice another 4 minutes of uptime for a reboot. But that's it, I promise!

Adam

07-24-2009, 04:37 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was beginning to suspect that my wife had somehow blocked the site.
07-24-2009, 06:30 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now discovered that there is a problem with the forum e-mail services. I will work to resolve this as soon as possible.

Adam

07-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Phew! Gasp! What a relief!

I thought I had broken the site.

Mickey