Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you use social networking features if we were to provide them?
Yes, absolutely! 1111.34%
Yes, but only from time to time! 1717.53%
No 6465.98%
No, and I've never heard of social networking! 55.15%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 03:33 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If there was something interresting in the News and Rumor section I'd use the digg function. Or if there was something I wanted to share to the Pentax FB page I'd use that. I would prefer if the feature got enabled that the icons be hidden behind a dropbox and not plastered on every post.

08-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be the dissenting voice here, and say: Bring it on.

If you don't want to use the feature, you don't have to. But to reflexively say no, just because you don't think facebook is a scourge or you are too old, or whatever reason is silly.

Getting the name out there will help the site grow, and attract new members who might not have otherwise known of the site.
08-11-2009, 07:31 AM   #18
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
No thanks Adam, just keep up the great work as you already are.

If I need that sort of thing, there are already I believe lots of them out there, but there is only one of these forums.
08-11-2009, 10:08 AM   #19
Veteran Member

i think it's a fine idea, but one which i most likely won't use because i have an addon for firefox which gives me a button to share on any social website. so if i wanted to share anything on here i can already do that. but i say add it, i'm sure people will use it

08-11-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Well I am not up to speed on Digg but starting to figure it out I did vote YES. In defence of Twitter and facebook I use them both very often and have met some great folks on both sites and learned many things I would not have otherwise.

I guess I would say don't knock either unless you have tried them and understand them. Kind of like how we give folks a hard time for complaining about a camera body's when they are trying to use it at ISO 1600 with candle and push it to 2600000 and don't understand the noise it creates.

Are there bad and ugly things on both sure but come on it is the internet and it just is. I understand the reason why folks may not want it and cool either way. For the record I have mentioned this site in my tweets more than a couple of times and I am sure it has brought a couple of new members. (no idea if good or bad ones)

That is just my $.02

PS. - heading to the potty after a big lunch ........LOLOLOLOL kidding and really it overall is not that bad. There are more than a few that do say things like that but the folks I follow have never advised me of bowel movements... lately
08-13-2009, 10:09 AM   #21
Veteran Member

The downside of the social networking sites outweigh any benefits that might accrue. PF would probably benefit from some internal "social networking site" LITE capabilities such as a real-time interactive chat or the ability to mass PM a group of users (both of which you may have already implemented.. I need to go look. )

Mike
08-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Yup, both of those are already here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #23

For all its faults I think facebook is a great tool. My father is not on there but my oldest brother has the same first name as him. My father has not had contact with any of the people he spent time with in the military until just the other day. A guy he went to basic training with remembered him and had no other way to locate him than through facebook. He contacted my brother, so no he didnt get "directly" in contact with him, but he was able to make contact notheless. They havent spoken in over 30 years.
I too have regained contact with some long lost friends "if you call 10 years long lost lol" that I havent heard from since I joined the Army over 10 years ago.
By the way there is a facebook blog that covers the whole stolen image, copywrite infringment, personal information deal. All of the problems have occured with 3rd party software that is not associated with facebook. If you are concerned about your info being used elsewhere, stop using those stupid quizes, games and other crap and just use it to communicate. I find it is a great way to share photos with friends and family when they cannot look at my computer screen as im usually too cheap to print up pictures. It will be especially useful the next couple of weeks as I will be in Germany. I will be able to upload various pictures and immediately my family and friends can see whats happening on my side of the world and live vicariously through me
Sorry about the off topic ranting. In response to the OP: I dont really use those features so I cannot say yea or nay, but others might find it useful and I guess if it becomes a problem you can always disable that feature.
09-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
And Sigmoid.
ZOIKES!!! Pucker!!! Always protect your pet "star fish"!!
09-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, both of those are already here.
Do we have an AJAX/IRC real time chat? A few forums I frequent have set them up, but I haven't seen one here at PF unless I've completely missed it.
09-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #26
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
There's one on the social groups page, but I'm keeping it low-profile :P

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2009, 10:08 AM   #27
Marketplace Reseller

a big no from me - i see alot of facebook groups with tons of members yet no activity