Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2009, 10:51 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Removing Price from Marketplace Forum After Item is Sold

Why do most folks remove the price from their listings once the item is sold?

It would be very helpful for those of us selling or buying be able to track at least the historical asking price. I'd like a rule that the final marketplace price must stay -- for good.

08-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
YJD
Veteran Member

I'll agree on that one too, it should stay so that it could be use as a database.
08-12-2009, 01:30 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This is up to the seller- not me

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
edl
Veteran Member

You could always PM the seller to ask what they sold it for. I do that sometimes, not a big deal.

Of course, I'm all for leaving the price and buyer info out there.

08-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by edl Quote
You could always PM the seller to ask what they sold it for. I do that sometimes, not a big deal.

Of course, I'm all for leaving the price and buyer info out there.
I agree. I don't know why a seller might remove the price unless they actually sold for less and did not want to advertise it.

Steve
08-12-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
pbo
Veteran Member

Maybe seller's just replacing the price with sold mark? Like, a don't bother message? When I'm selling, I usually put price in green, and after it's sold, I put a huge red SOLD in its place.
08-12-2009, 08:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know why this is done either.

I used to leave the price in there after sale, but then I noticed everyone else seemed to be removing the price afterward, so I started to also, afraid of breaking some hidden rule.

08-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I don't know why this is done either.

I used to leave the price in there after sale, but then I noticed everyone else seemed to be removing the price afterward, so I started to also, afraid of breaking some hidden rule.
Actually, it's the other way around ...

from the Marketplace rules - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographers-marketplace/137-important-i...e-posting.html
QuoteQuote:
# We request that you leave item prices intact after marking threads as "Sold" (exceptions are at the seller's discretion)
I believe that Adam added that about five or six months ago in response to a thread like this one .
08-12-2009, 09:19 PM   #9
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Maybe seller's just replacing the price with sold mark? Like, a don't bother message? When I'm selling, I usually put price in green, and after it's sold, I put a huge red SOLD in its place.
What I do is put "sold to xyz" in bold in front of the item. I leave the price intact.

I would like to strikeout the item as well, but I don't know the appropriate command for that on these web forums. I'm sure it can be done...
08-21-2009, 08:54 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Well, I just started to quote the original price in the seller's thread as a way of noting it the history of the thread but got quickly spanked by wlank for doing so.

Or was it because I said "good price"?

Either way, these two rules are in conflict with each other:

QuoteQuote:
# Public commenting on or comparison of asking prices is not allowed
# We request that you leave item prices intact after marking threads as "Sold" (exceptions are at the seller's discretion)
Nothing is more frustrating than to search through old threads to get a feel for what asking price trends have been only to see a big red "SOLD" in place.
08-21-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Either way, these two rules are in conflict with each other:
How so? The first rule says that potential buyers aren't allowed to post things like, "hey, great price" as replies to a Marketplace thread, while the second asks sellers to leave their prices intact in their original post.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #12
Inactive Account

So are we allowed to simply quote the sell price as a way of marking in the thread so it doesn't disappear as long as we don't comment on the price itself?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
How so? The first rule says that potential buyers aren't allowed to post things like, "hey, great price" as replies to a Marketplace thread, while the second asks sellers to leave their prices intact in their original post.
08-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Technically, yes. That's not part of the rules, but if the seller for some reason doesn't want prices to be visible after an item is sold, he/she may request the quotes to be removed.

On a side note, FYI all post edit history is logged, so even if a price has been replaced by a 'sold' tag, I can dig it up if you are desperate (assuming that the seller gives permission).

Adam