Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OBE "Sticky" threads should be "unstuck"

Sticky threads can be crucial to help keep important issues or guidance at the forefront of the forums. Others, however, are only important for a short period of time but its still helpful to have them stuck to the front to keep them prominent. However after they are OBE'd or just no longer current or applicable they should be "unstuck." When something from 6 months ago is still stuck to the front it wastes forum real-estate and decreases the impact of new and timely sticky threads. Thread starters should take the lead in unsticking their posts when appropriate however that normally doesn't happen. Not pointing fingers here, just making a general observation.

For instance, I plan to have my "Lets Help Mel Replace her Stolen TAKs" thread unstuck this evening as it has run it's course and achieved it's purpose. There is no need to have it still stuck to the top after the drive has ended, much less for it to stay there for months or forever.

For examples, currently there is a sticky thread in "General Talk" called "Pentax Forums New Years Honors List" It's long past New Years folks... And in "Gatherings, Events and Photo Trips", we have the Spring/Summer East Coast Gathering" thread and the "Pentax Workshop Poll". The workshop poll has had it's question answered and the east coast gathering is long over with. Now, there may be good reasons for keeping these example threads "stuck" and if so they should stay "stuck." However I suspect they've probably just been overlooked.

I'd just like to propose that sticky threads be periodically reviewed and when they are no longer pertinent, that they be "unstuck" and allowed to "go into that good night" naturally.

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 08-13-2009 at 11:13 AM. Reason: clarification and spelling correction
08-13-2009, 12:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I agree- please have a look and take care of the threads, mods. I'm currently unable to do so myself.
08-13-2009, 12:41 PM   #3
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
Thread starters should take the lead in unsticking their posts when appropriate however that normally doesn't happen. Not pointing fingers here, just making a general observation.
Are you saying that normal members can stick or unstick their threads? I always thought that's something that only mods and admins can do.

Also, what's OBE? I can't figure it out and Google suggests out-of-body-experience and Officer of the Order of the British Empire.
08-13-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Related, but maybe not. I use the Classic Skin, but "Sticky's" are really more like "Quagmires". They never float to the top whatsoever.

08-13-2009, 01:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
Are you saying that normal members can stick or unstick their threads? I always thought that's something that only mods and admins can do.

Also, what's OBE? I can't figure it out and Google suggests out-of-body-experience and Officer of the Order of the British Empire.
You are right... only mods or admins can sticky or un-stick a thread. What I mean is that the OPs should ask for threads to be un-stuck when they are no longer timely...

And OBE = Overcome By Events... For instance, if you are announcing something that later turns out to not happen, the announcement has become OBE. (I'm retired military which means sometimes I get a little acronym happy... LOL)

Mike
08-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
You are right... only mods or admins can sticky or un-stick a thread. What I mean is that the OPs should ask for threads to be un-stuck when they are no longer timely...

And OBE = Overcome By Events... For instance, if you are announcing something that later turns out to not happen, the announcement has become OBE. (I'm retired military which means sometimes I get a little acronym happy... LOL)

Mike
Don't worry your little FUBAR over the SNAFU
08-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
don't worry your little fubar over the snafu :d
ROTFLMAOa!!!!

08-19-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mike,

In this one instance, I believe the Workshop Poll is valid? If you look at the results, it references interest for events that might take place in the future - 2010:
Spring 2010
Summer 2010
Fall 2010
One or two people responded after the polls closed and indicated interest in attending a workshop. I may update and reference the older poll and simply unstick it - thoughts?

I agree about the Spring/Summer East Coast gathering - I'll unstick it.

Regards,
Marc
08-21-2009, 08:41 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
If it's still receiving hits then I agree it is still applicable, but perhaps it should simply be unstuck since the poll itself is closed Just my opinion that sticky threads should be timely and up-to-date or provide a general resource (like my Photo Ops calendar). As for the whole workshop thing I think it might be a good idea to have a separate workshop sub-forum (something like "Workshops and Educational Opportunities") since they seem to be gaining popularity. I'm actually considering offering a short weekend one next spring on waterfall shooting up at Ricketts Glen in PA.

Mike
08-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Mike,

Good points/suggestions and I've unstuck the poll. It's still linked on the Events and Workshops page.

Thanks Mike!