Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2009, 05:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Non-Pentax cameras in Pentax Film SLR forum

In Pentax Film SLR Discussion, threads regarding non-Pentax brand SLRs are inevitably moved by the mods to Off Topic, General Talk. Why?

Threads regarding non-Pentax brand lenses do not suffer the same fate. These are allowed to remain in Pentax SLR Lens Discussion.

As most Pentax users know, many manufacturers made cameras using the Pentax M42 and K-mounts. A high degree of compatibility
and interchangeability allows users to mix and match gear made by Pentax and other makers to suit their needs and budgets.

IMO you would be doing a greater service to the PentaxForums community by allowing these threads to remain in Pentax Film SLR Discussion.

Chris

08-22-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see anything wrong with that. However, I've been considering a dedicated off-brand forum category- maybe we need one!
08-22-2009, 09:17 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Chris, do you imagine this being solely M42 and K mount SLRs or would you rather it be open to any SLR camera? I only ask so we know whether a line needs to be drawn or if it can be a free for all for all SLRs.
There are also rangefinder cameras to consider, I know these are popular with many members but most (if not all) do not have the Pentax equivalent mounts.
08-23-2009, 05:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

FWIW I think Pentax cameras using non-Pentax lenses are ok in the "Pentax Film or DSLR" forums and non-Pentax cameras using Pentax lenses are ok in the "Pentax SLR Lens" forum. Canon, Nikon, Olympus, using their native or off-brand lenses should be moved off to "General Talk" or to an off-brand forum. Same goes for MF, rangefinders or P&S camera/lens combos. Otherwise the site will eventually turn into CameraForums.com.

just my 2 cents worth...

Mike

08-23-2009, 06:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If I had my druthers...

All Pentax mount film SLRs should be allowed in Pentax Film SLR Discussion.
I'd love to be able to discuss other film SLR brands not using Pentax mount
as well as rangefinder/scale focus cameras, but in their own separate forum(s).
They should NOT be relegated to Off-Topic, General Talk. Can the group
Pentax Cameras be renamed simply Cameras and these forums added?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 08-23-2009 at 06:30 AM.
08-23-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
In Pentax Film SLR Discussion, threads regarding non-Pentax brand SLRs are inevitably moved by the mods to Off Topic, General Talk. Why?

Chris
Posting as a Moderator, they are moved because that is the way Adam has wanted it. Of course he can change it any time and in any way he wants to.

Threads regarding non-Pentax brand lenses do not suffer the same fate. These are allowed to remain in .

Chris
I don't believe I've ever seen this issue raised before. If the lens in question is an M42 or K mount I'm going to leave it in Pentax SLR Lens Discussion until Adam tells me different.

As most Pentax users know, many manufacturers made cameras using the Pentax M42 and K-mounts. A high degree of compatibility
and interchangeability allows users to mix and match gear made by Pentax and other makers to suit their needs and budgets.

IMO you would be doing a greater service to the PentaxForums community by allowing these threads to remain in Pentax Film SLR Discussion.

Chris
Posting as a member, I disagree with you Chris. I found this site by doing a search for Pentax. I have no interest in Zenit, Yashica or any other M42 or K mount cameras. Perhaps I am the only member who feels this way, but perhaps not. There is another forum which seems to have a fair bit of Pentax info, but mixed in is a lot of stuff I'm not interested in. It is just not for me. Let's keep the Pentax Film SLR Discussion as it is.
08-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlank Quote
Posting as a member, I disagree with you Chris. I found this site by doing a search for Pentax. I have no interest in Zenit, Yashica or any other M42 or K mount cameras. Perhaps I am the only member who feels this way, but perhaps not. There is another forum which seems to have a fair bit of Pentax info, but mixed in is a lot of stuff I'm not interested in. It is just not for me. Let's keep the Pentax Film SLR Discussion as it is.
I disagree with wlank on this point. It seems to me that our common bond here isn't the Pentax brand, it's the Pentax legacy, which by definition includes equipment manufactured by other companies that share the Pentax mounts and/or that can be used on cameras with those mounts. Pentax is known for both the M42 (also popularly known as Pentax screw) and K mounts, so I think it's best for all if the forum embraces--in the most user-friendly manner--all things related to those mounts.

As for the concern that PF will be inundated with posts technically unrelated to the Pentax brand, I submit that such posts are already pretty common and there's little risk of PF becoming the defacto Zenit Forums. And it's easy enough to ignore the stuff you're not personally interested in while preserving the ability for the rest of the members to easily discuss/find info on these unquestionably Pentax-related issues.
08-23-2009, 12:50 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

All Pentax mount film SLRs should be allowed in Pentax Film SLR Discussion.
I'd love to be able to discuss other film SLR brands not using Pentax mount
as well as rangefinder/scale focus cameras, but in their own separate forum(s).
They should NOT be relegated to Off-Topic, General Talk. Can the group
Pentax Cameras be renamed simply Cameras and these forums added?

Chris
No, we can't rename the forum, for SEO reasons.

Currently discussion of off-brand cameras should go in 'Everything Else'. At a later time, as I said earlier, I may be able to add a dedicated forum for off-brand cameras, but my concern there is that it simply won't be used very much. This was the case with the "professional photo/business" category that people begged for and then barely used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-25-2009, 08:43 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
FWIW I participate in another popular forum once dedicated exclusively to rangefinder cameras.
After much debate and handwringing an SLR forum was added, and it has proven quite popular.

Chris
08-25-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

an off-brand section would help to filter out the Everything Else and General Talk sections to more of their original intent
04-13-2014, 08:54 AM   #11

I was about to open a new thread regarding this very subject, but then I found this five-year-old discussion, which I am now resurrecting...

I agree with the original post of Chris Platt: it would be a great idea to have as well some review section of Non-Pentax K-mount cameras and Non-Pentax M42 cameras. It is not the same as the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. already in the Off-topic forums. There is one simple reason: I can use —for instance— my PK lenses on a Chinon CE-4s, and I would love to hear what others have to say regarding this camera. I don't really care about an AE-1 or an F3, because I don't own that kind of lens-mount, but I am deeply interested in other brands that produced Pentax compatible cameras — or are still under production, like the Vivitar v3800n.

It is unfair to classify here as equally off-topic to talk about a Leica M3 and a Ricoh XR-7, because in the latter I can mount my Pentax lenses, apart from the fact that now "Pentax" actually belongs to Ricoh Imaging.

I think that many people like Pentax precisely due to its great range of options. Pentax film bodies are in general outstanding, but it doesn't mean that we should disregard other companies that, from the point of view of the consumer, are interchangable.
04-13-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ludenticus Quote
I was about to open a new thread regarding this very subject, but then I found this five-year-old discussion, which I am now resurrecting...

I agree with the original post of Chris Platt: it would be a great idea to have as well some review section of Non-Pentax K-mount cameras and Non-Pentax M42 cameras. It is not the same as the Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. already in the Off-topic forums. There is one simple reason: I can use —for instance— my PK lenses on a Chinon CE-4s, and I would love to hear what others have to say regarding this camera. I don't really care about an AE-1 or an F3, because I don't own that kind of lens-mount, but I am deeply interested in other brands that produced Pentax compatible cameras — or are still under production, like the Vivitar v3800n.

It is unfair to classify here as equally off-topic to talk about a Leica M3 and a Ricoh XR-7, because in the latter I can mount my Pentax lenses, apart from the fact that now "Pentax" actually belongs to Ricoh Imaging.

I think that many people like Pentax precisely due to its great range of options. Pentax film bodies are in general outstanding, but it doesn't mean that we should disregard other companies that, from the point of view of the consumer, are interchangable.
We had a forum for non-Pentax K-mount cameras for several months, and it really didn't see any activity, so it was closed. For now, the Pentax film SLR section is the right place for those threads.

If someone were willing to help put together a database of such cameras, I'd be all for adding them to our camera review section. However, the low level of interest suggests time could be better spent on other projects

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-14-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

There is already such a broad range of forums here that it is hard to take it all in...or even most of it. I'd like to see PF narrowed down to two forums... Toy Cameras and Handsome Squirrels. I'm guessing there is not much chance of that happening though??

Regards!