Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Savings or Raffle
I would like to participate and contribute $200.00 for 6 months for a $1200.00 total over 6 months   00%
I would like to participate and contribute $100.00 for 12 months for a $1200.00 total over 1 year   00%
I would like to participate and contribute $50.00 for 12 months for a $600.00 total over 1 year 15.26%
I would like to participate and contribute $25.00 for 12 months for a $300.00 total over 1 year 210.53%
I would rather do the raffle - buy a ticket for $50.00 hope to win a K7 a onetime effort 315.79%
I would rather do the raffle - buy a ticket for $25.00 hope to win a K7 a onetime effort 1368.42%
I would rather save myself and buy a local lottery ticket 842.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 1200 Club or a Raffle - A Poll

In a recent thread there was talk of a K7 raffle. In that thread the discussion took a side turn and there was talk of getting groups of people together contributing a monthly amount to be used for a K7 / Photo gear purchase. This poll is to see who is interested in one or the other or both. To see all the previous discussion you can read https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/site-suggestions-errors-help/70665-question-k-7-raffle.html

This poll is public and your name will be seen. Please vote and express any ideas / concerns you have here. I am out of town for a few days and will check in when I get back. I think the #1 concern would be people not contributing after they have received their money or dropping out for whatever reasons.

The basic structure would be as follows:

1. Group(s) of 12 people committed to save $x a month. The first month a name will be drawn from one of the 12 people. The other 11 people would then send this person their $x monthly contribution. Their name is now removed from the draw (they still have to contribute the following months until the end) and then the following month a name is drawn from the reaming 11 names. This continues for 12 months until everyone has received 12 months worth of savings.

The risks - are obvious there is no way to enforce people to do this over a 12 month period and no recourse if someone 'wins' and drops out. Eveyone thinking about this should be 100% committed or don't particiapte. Also the risks are real - let's not pretend they are not so take that into account.

There is also potential to contact a vendor and see if some sort of discount can be arranged.

Anyway - personally I would do the savings club. I think there also has to be some selection criteria as to who can participate - trusted members only. This is not to discriminate against anyone at all - it is just trying to limit the risk factor. What a trusted member is can be another discussion if we decide to peruse this.

Legally I don't think the savings club has any issues. For the raffle I am unsure. Also obvioulsy there has to be enough raffle tickets sold to cover the cost of the K7. A limited number of 'tickets' would be available and any proceeds would be donated back to the forum (again assuming the legalities can be worked out).

I will allow two options (as some may want to do the savings and raffle). Please choose the amount you can commit to contributing over 6 - 12 months. If you can commit to $100.00 there is no need to also choose the $50 one.

Last edited by daacon; 08-28-2009 at 06:06 AM.
08-28-2009, 05:59 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Now that I'm seeing most of the opinions in the other thread, I think I'm going to say that I'm out. It's getting a little complicated and now I'm thinking of the implications of explaining to my wife why I need to spend more money on another camera body.

Have fun everybody.
08-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Leaf Fan Quote
Now that I'm seeing most of the opinions in the other thread, I think I'm going to say that I'm out. It's getting a little complicated and now I'm thinking of the implications of explaining to my wife why I need to spend more money on another camera body.

Have fun everybody.
Thus the Poll to see who wants in. It's like at a party where eveyone has been drinking and someone suggests hey we should all go skydiving next weekend. 30 people are in, when the next weekend arrives 3 actually do it (this is based on a true story - fyi I was one of the 3 )

No worries - you can still vote for the raffle thing if you want.
08-28-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I see the risks you mention. There are both positive things about the savings club approach and the negatives. I'm not 100% sure I would want to jump in to be honest. Of course anyone could open a savings account at their local bank and just put away a few bucks every week and accomplish the same thing. A positive (at least as regards to purchasing a camera) is the the savings are there for a dedicated purchase of a camera. Many times through the years I have saved up for some new gear and had the money end up going for a new clutch in the truck or a hot water heater, etc. A negative other than the risks you already mentioned is someone possibly needing to opt out after starting to contribute due to a legimate need and not having to access to money they have saved up. While I would love a new K7, I have always planned on getting at least 5 years out of a camera body and a purchase really wasn't in my plans this year (or next) but I would probably buy a raffle ticket. There are a couple of lenses I really want first.

08-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I see the risks you mention. There are both positive things about the savings club approach and the negatives. I'm not 100% sure I would want to jump in to be honest. Of course anyone could open a savings account at their local bank and just put away a few bucks every week and accomplish the same thing. A positive (at least as regards to purchasing a camera) is the the savings are there for a dedicated purchase of a camera. Many times through the years I have saved up for some new gear and had the money end up going for a new clutch in the truck or a hot water heater, etc. A negative other than the risks you already mentioned is someone possibly needing to opt out after starting to contribute due to a legimate need and not having to access to money they have saved up. While I would love a new K7, I have always planned on getting at least 5 years out of a camera body and a purchase really wasn't in my plans this year (or next) but I would probably buy a raffle ticket. There are a couple of lenses I really want first.
Indeed reeftool - I would treat the savings club funds like I do with money we take to Vegas it's gone - If you think you will ever need it or something could happen to stop you from contributing then I agree it's best to not opt in , in the first place
08-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Arrg Billy she looks like a dud ..8 people for a raffle so at $1200 a K7 the ticktets would have to cost $165 each (with 10% to Pentax Forums). oh well can always save myself - The raffle may take off if Adam or some one posted a message to all of us - just did not take in the poll.