Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-12-2006, 01:02 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Skin Improvements!

I've spent a little time improving our last-loading, "Simple skin" today

You've probably already noticed the new gradients, but I've also added distinctly-colored thread icons and made the user-online icon slightly brighter. I also darkened the background color on the main navbar and changed the font on the global annoucement.

I think that these changes greatly improve the skin- it's more colorful and it actually has a custom feel now! Enjoy!

P.S. I've also added a referrer link in the User CP that you can use to invite friends.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2006, 04:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I love this colour. Cyan blue. Very gentle on the eyes. Thanks!
12-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mo Quote
I've spent a little time improving our last-loading, "Simple skin" today.
Thanks Adam

I just noticed the possibility of using the Simple Skin and what an improvement to the download speed. Maybe it's just my laptop, but I used to sit and wait for quite a while, waiting for the site to download - and that was every time I changed thread - so after a few threads I normally just left

For me at least, it's a big improvement. Too much waiting often makes me a bit impatient and then I would go back to dpreview, but the major reason was the speed ... definitely not the content
12-23-2006, 03:35 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I like the new color Adam and it is an improvement over the other skin color. I've been using the Main skin ever since I started here. The way the main skin is set up for me it's easier to navigate. Well I'm not adverse to change so I'll try this one for a while. I just wish there was a home button like on the main skin, but thats just me. I'm old enough to change and to old to do anything about it
thats why we have choices and thanks again for all your hard work on this forum.

Have a happy holiday and a great new year.

Good Shooting.
Cheers: David

12-23-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Oops! I just posted this in the wrong forum but here it is again:

"I just changed over to the "Simple" skin and am amazed at the increase in speed. The speed of the default skin was tedious and nearly chased me back to Phil's site but it's great now.

IMHO this should be the default skin. It's much faster and the colors are fine.

Dan"
12-23-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Great job! Thanks, it is getting better and better!

A few suggestions for further small improvements:

1) Could you make icons indicating new messages in forums (top level, forum list) a bit more distinct? Like red posted notes on a board vs. gray (as is) for no new messages? They are both gray and look extremely similar now.

2) It would be nice to replace the vBulletin logo (upper left corner) with something more Pentax oriented, but wider and shorter (400x50 for example). There is some wasted space in that empty gray bar to the right.

3) Finally, in the Threaded Mode is it possible to extend the tree depth under which messages are hidden with the note "There is more replies bellow this level"? Current setting is I think too limiting leaving the right part of the thread frame always empty.

BTW, is it possible to make threads frame taller (double height?) and move it after the message and before the Quick Reply area?
12-23-2006, 09:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

One more thing: how about making the fonts for the forum list and post list smaller, similar to the main skin? Font size in messages is perfect and better then main skin, so just lists smaller (to make them "denser").

12-23-2006, 11:28 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I'd change it, but some people need a more legible/higher-contrast font that this one, and I have to respect that.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-23-2006, 06:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

No problem, it is not critical anyway (just nice to have -- font size only, colors/contrast is fine). How about the other things, especially message tree depth limit?