Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Just a suggestion - maybe instead of "Nude", have it as "NSFW".

Only a thought that jumped to my mind as I do a lot of Fetish/alternative styled work and whilst the models aren't nude and nothing is overly explicit, some of my images may cause a bit of a surprise to regular viewers of portraits.

09-21-2009, 07:42 AM   #32

I am not into Rap music but how about "Heavy PP".
09-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #33
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
I don't think more categories is a problem. When there are many thousands of photos to sift through and you are mainly interested in Sports would you rather spend a long time looking through stuff in "Documentary" that isn't related to sports or go to a more specific category?

Dan
I didn't know there were thousands. Couldn't there be a time limit, and those older than 6 months or so automatically close or fall out? Surely, if we have that many submissions, having 8 or 30 categories will still be a ton of photos to look at.

How about 6-8 main categories, with 4-5 under each of those, with the option of either looking at all of them in the main heading, or just going into the broken down topics under each one. This would come out to 30-40 topics, but at least we wouldn't have to scroll or look through all 40 topics at once in the main thread.
09-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Sub-catagories would simplify things in my opinion. For example Nature would split up into wildlife, pets, landscape, and perhaps one or two more topics. That would remove a main catagory or two as well.

HDR is just a processing technique and has nothing to do with the object photographed, there should not have to be an HDR catagory just as B&W was removed from the list earlier.

09-22-2009, 06:06 AM   #35
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suppose then if someone wanted to search for HDR images within the PYP section, the HDR tagging of some sort would be handy (perhaps as a non-category tickbox or something of the sort...)
09-22-2009, 08:09 AM   #36
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Sub-categorization is besides the point in my opinion. I could add extra thread fields with endless categories and subcategories, but that wouldn't really be of any benefit.

The point of categorization is to quickly be able to filter threads by type. As a lot of people are interested in HDR nowadays, I'm wlling to add that as an oddball category.
09-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I suppose then if someone wanted to search for HDR images within the PYP section, the HDR tagging of some sort would be handy (perhaps as a non-category tickbox or something of the sort...)
Without regard to photos, I do think a nice tagging method would work well or taking advantage of keywords if people post photos with such metadata could be useful as well.

In my own catalog, I find the huge advantage (and disadvantage) is the fact that photos can and will often cross category boundaries. The more categories you have, the more likely that is.

I realize this is just a forum, so the categories are a necessity, but keywords might help for those taking advantage of searches where images might cross those boundaries. This is all of course out of ignorance on what the forum software can actually accomplish.

Last edited by emalvick; 09-22-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: clarify posting.
09-22-2009, 02:19 PM   #38
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We already have an auto-tagging feature based on thread titles, and people can manually tag their threads as well, if that's what you're referring to.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2009, 04:05 PM   #39
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's right. It makes more sense to simply categorise PYP posts to one category and just add keywords in the tag to indicate extra attributes (HDR, strobist, etc.) - this would be dependent on the poster, though, and as such won't be consistent.
09-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #40
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm going to throw up an initial set of prefix-categories shortly. If things don't work out, or if the list of categories still needs improvement, we'll just take it from there!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-22-2009, 04:47 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Looks good Adam but the electric blue color is a little much (IMHO). maybe something a little less contrasty...

Mike
09-22-2009, 04:54 PM   #42
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Thread closed; post further comments here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/latest-board-news/74314-category-prefixes...tml#post751233

The blue looks very neutral on my screen, so I'd like to hear from others.

Adam

Closed Thread