Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Deleted RSS feeds keep reappearing in Apple Mail

To whom in may concern,

I've been having this persistent issue for perhaps the past week where, after deleting posts from the general RSS feed for Pentax Forums in my mail client, they will reappear again after about 24 hours. Once again this morning, all RSS feed posts dating back to about September 14 (the date of Sept. 14 has been consistent) appeared again in my RSS feed area of Apple Mail (I'm using the separate RSS feed area in Apple Mail as opposed to having them appear in my InBox).

This is Apple Mail v4.1 running under OS 10.6.1 "Snow Leopard".

I should note that I have about 17 other RSS feeds coming in from various other websites but the Pentax Forums RSS feed is the only one exhibiting this behavior.

Regards,
Terry Wyse

09-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Terry,

I wish I could help, but I've never used that program and I'm sure it's manipulating the feed is a way that you don't want it to. Hopefully someone else might know a bit more.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2009, 11:10 AM   #3

Photos: Albums
Not sure but I think this error could be related to the following previous threads:

RSS Woni't Reload
and
RSS Not Working

I still have errors reading the RSS with Firefox. I run four or five different computers all with different operating systems and multiple RSS feeds being read into FF. All work fine except for Pentax Forums.

If I want to see new threads, I have to manually refresh. All my other feeds auto refresh on a timer or when I first open FF.

It's not a big deal that I have to refresh manually. Only an annoyance - but I thought it might be related to why you are getting old threads popping up again.
09-30-2009, 11:41 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The PF feed should update itself every 30 minutes. It doesn't do that?

Also, if we want to troubleshoot this, let me know what feed URL and arguments you're using. I doubt there's a problem with the system, but you might be using the wrong links.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-30-2009, 02:33 PM   #5

Hi Adam - thanks for the reply.

The feed url I'm using is: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/external.php?type=RSS2

On this computer, I'm using
"Linux localhost.localdomain 2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Thu Jun 18 12:47:50 EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux" ... which is a Fedora Core 9 system.

My Firefox version is: 3.0.11

I use the Live Bookmarks feature of Firefox as my RSS feed reader.

My other boxes are an Fedora Core 11, Ubuntu 8.10, Windows XP and Windows Vista.

Windows Vista and FC9 are direct while the others are VMware Worstation VMs.

AFAIK, my Pentax Forum feeds do not auto-update on FC9, FC11, Windows XP or Windows Vista. I haven't tested it on Ubuntu as I only use that OS for software testing.

It's definitely not a high priority for me - but since other people might be having similar difficulties, we appreciate you looking into this for us!

Thanks,

Frank.
09-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Frank,

I've confirmed that the feed automatically updates itself outside of any browser. I use a script on our homepage that queries the feed, and every 30 minutes, if there is a new thread, it will be shown in the 'latest news' column.

Maybe we should start by trying the feed out in firefox 3.5 (which is out for linux now)?

Adam

10-02-2009, 10:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
More information...

I have a bit more information about RSS feeds that keep reappearing in Apple's Mail client.

First off, I recently unsubscribed from the "general" Pentax Forums RSS feed that brought in everything and re-subscribed to the individual forum feeds I was interested in.

From what I can tell currently, it's specifically the "PentaxForums.com - Camera and Studio Accessories" feed that seems to keep re-sending RSS feed postings even after they are deleted. The other day I cleared all my RSS feeds from Pentax Forums and now it seems that this specific feed is the problem...none of the others so far have resent deleted feed postings (I've subscribed to 8 other RSS feeds from Pentax Forums). Again, none of my other non-Pentax Forums RSS feeds have this issue so it clearly appears to me to be a problem with the Pentax Forums and not my Apple Mail client.

Hope this helps,
Terry

10-02-2009, 10:47 AM   #8

Thanks Adam!

I am currently writing from my 64bit Vista Box, which has been on for last 2 days - and hasn't updated once. This box uses Firefox 3.5.3, which I believe is the latest stable version.

All other feeds from different web sites have updated.

Strange huh?

Thanks again for looking into this.
10-02-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Can you confirm that similar feeds work properly from other vBulletin-powered sites, before we continue.
10-02-2009, 01:30 PM   #10

just sub'ed the vbulletin community board. I'll let you know in a couple of hours if it updates.
10-02-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds good!

Adam

10-02-2009, 03:19 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I took some time to verify that all the settings were correct, and I stumbled upon this in the documentation: "Some RSS applications do not respect the 30 minute refresh request that vBulletin sends with the information."

Adam

10-04-2009, 08:51 AM   #13

[Whoops - thought I sent this days ago. Guess I left it up on my screen without hitting "post"!]

Thanks Adam!

Sorry - I got really busy today.

It turns out that my Firefox's don't update on the VBulletin board as well. So it has to do with VBulletin. It looks like they've neatly sidestepped the issue by saying, as you pointed out, "Some RSS applications do not respect the 30 minute refresh request that vBulletin sends with the information."

It's funny how, Slashdot, Yahoo News, A Scenic World, ScienceDaily, EurekAlert! and several others all work fine!

I guess we'd take it up with VBulletin if we wanted to pursue this. Personally, I wouldn't bother. I'm fine with refreshing manually. I really do appreciate all the work you've done, looking into it though!

Thanks again,

Frank.
10-04-2009, 09:03 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds good. I'm sure that the vB team will eventually address this issue, if not in version 3, then in version 4 of the forum software (which I don't know whether or not we will be switching to quite yet).

Thanks for taking the time to check other vB feeds!