Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-08-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Server Maintenance Window / Site Downtime

From 1am until 4am CDT tomorrow, Saturday, October 10th, maintenance will be performed on our server that should increase processing and transfer capacities. During this time, PentaxForums.com will not be accessible.

We apologize in advance for the inconvenience, but look forward to the improved hardware following the maintenance!

Edit: Maintenance will also be carried out on Sunday, October 11th, from 1am to 4am CDT.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Feels snappy this morning Adam well done.
10-10-2009, 09:16 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The server processor upgrade was successful, although further maintenance may be required tomorrow morning as well.

Stay tuned for updates!

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I've now confirmed that maintenance will continue tomorrow morning during the same time slot.

Adam

10-11-2009, 07:52 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Unfortunately the server mainenance staff forgot to reboot the machine following last night's maintenance, which resulted in extended downtime. We're back now, however

More details about the upgrades are coming soon.

Adam

10-13-2009, 08:34 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Last week's maintenance involved a processor upgrade, which was successful.

However, sometime in the coming weeks, we will need to perform further maintenance. We will be transferring the entire website over to a new (faster and larger) hard disk on our server. This will involve extended downtime, since once the files are copied, the server needs to be shut down and reconfigured.

Following this maintenance, a further increase in site speed should be noticed.

I expect to carry out this procedure during off-peak hours, most likely on Friday morning, starting at 1 or 2am EST. Downtime may range from one hour to up to 12 hours.

Please stay tuned for further updates! Once all maintenance is completed, I will post a new announcement!

Adam

10-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #7
graphicgr8s

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Last week's maintenance involved a processor upgrade, which was successful.

However, sometime in the coming weeks, we will need to perform further maintenance. We will be transferring the entire website over to a new (faster and larger) hard disk on our server. This will involve extended downtime, since once the files are copied, the server needs to be shut down and reconfigured.

Following this maintenance, a further increase in site speed should be noticed.

I expect to carry out this procedure during off-peak hours, most likely on Friday morning, starting at 1 or 2am EST. Downtime may range from one hour to up to 12 hours.

Please stay tuned for further updates! Once all maintenance is completed, I will post a new announcement!
12Hours without PF? I may not make it. I feel the shakes already just thinking about it.

10-14-2009, 08:47 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
We are currently performing a file backup; this may result in connection problems over the next several minutes as the server's resources are being dedicated to the backup.

Tomorrow (Friday) starting at 1am, a new primary disk will be installed on the server, and while files are being transferred back, the site will be down.

Adam

10-15-2009, 02:47 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I would just like to confirm the maintenance, which will start at 1am CDT on Friday the 16th, and may last up to twelve hours.

Adam

10-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #10

If you don't mind me asking what hardware are we running on?
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
The site is hosted on a dual quad-core Xeon linux box. I will post more technical information once tonight's maintenance is complete, as further upgrades will be made

Adam

10-15-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As a (former) sys admin, I wish you good luck on all the changes. Thanks for all you do to keep the site running.
10-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
As you can see (I hope!) I'm working on restoring the site; the disk swap was a success.

Currently, the forum should be fully operational exactly as you left it last night when the server went down. The lens review databases are still down, but should be coming up within a few minutes.

Adam

10-16-2009, 07:52 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Additionally maintenance (requiring at most an hour of downtime) may still be needed, so there went my hopes of posting the completion announcement today! Continue to stay tuned for updates.

Adam

10-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Additionally maintenance (requiring at most an hour of downtime) may still be needed, so there went my hopes of posting the completion announcement today! Continue to stay tuned for updates.
I'm in IT so I know how much of a pain maintenance can be... Thanks for all the effort in keeping the site running....and letting us know how it's progressing.
Closed Thread