Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-17-2009, 11:22 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Site Maintenance Complete!

Site Maintenance Complete

I am now happy to announce that our recent site maintenance is complete, and was a great success!

PentaxForums.com has been moved to a faster webserver featuring imporved hardware in almost all aspects. Below are the new technical specifications:

-Dual Quad-Core Intel 'Nehalem' processors @ 2.93 Ghz w/HT
-12Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1333Mhz (host offered a special to double the standard 6Gb)
-RAID controller
-Primary drive: Seagate Cheetah 300Gb @ 15,000 RPM

As our site grows, this hardware should allow server-intensive processes, such as backups, to run with minimal effect on site performance, even during peak traffic. You should also notice an increase in file transfer speed.

Our old IP address will be pointed to the new server within 72 hours.

These changes have bumped our server bill up by a little over $100/month. I would to thank all Site Supporters for helping keeping the site online and ad-free, and would like to ask all other members to consider doing so as well! Any amount helps and is greatly appreciated. We wouldn't be here without you!

Note that in some geographical regions, our www.pentaxforums.com domain may still be poiting to the old server. If this is the case, please use PentaxForums.com - Pentax Photography Forum to access the site temporarily. Thanks for your patience during this whole process, and I apologize again for the downtime involved.

As a reminder, the SyncSnap gallery is now online; you may upload event photos here: User Photo Gallery - Pentax World SyncSnap. You can also continue uploading World Pentax Day photos for another week here (note that they must have still been taken on October 10th):
User Photo Gallery - October 10, 2009.

Thanks for reading!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Awesome Adam,

Glad to see PF going from strength to strength.
You're a champ, mate!
Thanks for all your effort.
10-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Specs of that server are nearly like my desktop.

Dual quad core 2.8GHz Harpertown Xeon with 1.6GHz bus
32GB DDR2-FB ECC RAM
320GB HD.

hehe..
10-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Our previous processor was the 3.0Ghz Harpertown @1333Mhz, but unfortunately only with 533 DDR2 RAM. From the research I did, the Nehalem combined with the improved bus ended up being 50-150% faster for most applications, thanks to the HT.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #5

I've worked in IT for years but never managed to keep up with Intel chipsets (or AMD) - last time I looked it was just Celeron, Pentium 4 and Xion CPU's?

Thank you to Adam and anyone else involved for all the hard work.
10-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks, Adam!

It is a pleasure to be a member of this group of Pentax fanatics. Your dedication to this site is absolutely wonderful.
10-17-2009, 03:15 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
Great.
Thank you.

10-18-2009, 01:29 AM   #8

Well done! Excellent!!
10-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Without any disrespect or lack of gratitude for the job done, but here (in Israel) there is not visible or discernible improvement in speed. It might be caused by many people logging in or connecting after the maintenance outage period, but nonetheless, forum is rather slow.
10-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Without any disrespect or lack of gratitude for the job done, but here (in Israel) there is not visible or discernible improvement in speed. It might be caused by many people logging in or connecting after the maintenance outage period, but nonetheless, forum is rather slow.
Are you sure it's not your ISP's fault? What sort of connection are you using? At that geographical distance from the site, you should also notice latency of at least a quarter of a second, regardless of uplink speed on our end.

Adam

10-18-2009, 11:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Adam, I am on DSL 1.5 Mbps. I will check tomorrow forum speed from work that has faster connection, but it is less likely local ISP fault, as it has pretty stable/constant performance, being reasonably reliable. But worry not, we don't have the best or fastest internet over here and it does not bother us too much...
10-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Adam, I am on DSL 1.5 Mbps. I will check tomorrow forum speed from work that has faster connection, but it is less likely local ISP fault, as it has pretty stable/constant performance, being reasonably reliable. But worry not, we don't have the best or fastest internet over here and it does not bother us too much...
Try running a ping on 208.43.7.194 via command prompt/terminal and see what it says.

Adam

10-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Adam, tried yesterday but was too sleepy to keep writing here. From home I got on average 250 ms and from work I get about 210 ms. Since I never did such a thing before the upgrade, it would be hard for me to draw any conclusions, but you might know better.
10-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
Judging by that, this definitely sounds like it's caused due to the distance and your connection. Also, since the DNS record was updated fairly recently, the propagation may still not have taken full effect in some areas.
10-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Yes, it seems like you say - caused by the distance. Thanks for spending your time for my benefit.