Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2009, 12:18 PM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Marketplace Overhaul

PentaxForums.com Photographer's Marketplace Overhaul

Over the past several days both myself and the moderators have been hard at work on improving your PentaxForums.com Marketplace Experience. In addition, the changes made to the Marketplace today have been in the works for months, and I'm very happy to be bringing them to you!

As you may have known from my other announcement, something went terribly wrong with an early version of our thread expiration system, and over 4,500 archived Marketplace threads lost their titles. The moderators have been a great help in restoring these titles, and I'm glad to announce that the process is now complete! Anyway, back to business...

New Marketplace Hierarchy

Our Marketplace accounts for nearly 15% of all site traffic, and it's quickly expanding. Therefore, we decided to give the Marketplace its entirely-own category on the forum index. The 'https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/equipment-sale/' and the 'https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/' sections are now top-level forums, as are the archives.

Name:  layout.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  60.3 KB

New Marketplace Listing Design

The post-bit for items listed in both the 'https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/equipment-sale/' and the 'https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/wanted-items/' sections now has a new design, focused on content clarity and convenient use. Redundant yet clearly-visible contact links for buyers and thread administration links for sellers have been added. Additionally, more information about the seller is now visible in each listing.

(user view)
Name:  newlook.jpg
Views: 1585
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  contact.jpg
Views: 1591
Size:  64.3 KB

New Thread Controls *** Brand-New Features

Previously, we provided controls for users to mark For-Sale threads as "Sold", and Wanted threads as "Closed". We've expanded this system for both sections, and now, users can also "Withdraw" a listing.

Thus, the following controls are now available in 'For Sale' threads:
-Mark Item as Sold (Moves thread to 'Sold Items' section)
-Withdraw Listing (Archives thread to 'Expired Listings' section & locks it)

And these are avaiable for 'Wanted Threads':
-Mark Item as Acquired (Moves thread to 'Sold Items' section)
-Withdraw Listing (Archives thread to 'Expired Listings' section & locks it)

The new withdrawal system should only be used when you decide to no longer offer an item for sale, or if you are no longer looking for an item. You cannot leave feedback for withdrawn threads (only 'Sold' and 'Acquired' threads).

The option to "Close" a wanted thread has thus been rendered obsolete and removed.

These options are available through the 'Thread Tools' dropdown, and shoud also be visited in the post-bit.

(seller view)
Name:  ttools.gif
Views: 1581
Size:  7.1 KB

Name:  sellerview.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  69.4 KB

Thread Expiration *** Brand-New Feature

All Marketplace threads with no activity (posts or bumps) for 120 days are automatically marked as 'Expired' and moved to the Archives. I'm happy to finally roll out this feature, as it's been long-requested by users that only current threads are visible in the main sections of the Marketplace. Following this change, we can also count how many items are available in the Marketplace (as you can see in the first screenshot, 337 items are being sold, and 594 are wanted.

Feedback System Improvements

It has never been easier to leave feedback! See this post for details: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentaxforums-com-news/77984-marketplace-f...rovements.html

Marketplace FAQ

0. Why the PentaxForums.com Marketplace?
This section of our site was included since day 1. We think it's important for us, now as the largest Pentax-dedicated online forum, to provide a place where users can offer gear for sale to fellow Pentaxians. The mission of this section is to be the ultimate source for used & rare Pentax gear. We place a heavy emphasis on safe online business, easy-of-use, and assistance from the site staff. (Personal note- over the past 2 years, I was able to acquire the rarest of Pentax FA* lenses through this very Marketplace!)

1. Who can sell items in the Marketplace?
-Anyone who has donated to PentaxForums.com in the past year (access is granted instantly & automatically)
-Anyone who has over 1,000 posts
-Anyone who has been a site member for at least 2 years and also made over 100 posts
-Note: ALL users can post in the "Wanted" section regardless of donation status

2. Are there any listing/final value/etc. fees?
No, never.

3. Is there a limit on the number of items I can list?
No. However, if you are using the Marketplace for commercial reasons (i.e. bulk sales, selling on behalf of a store, re-sales of items simply for profit), you must purchase Reseller Access, which costs $10/month. Details are here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/equipment-sale/137-read-first-marketplace...-policies.html; this access can be purchased in the User CP.

4. Why are there access restrictions and the Reseller Access requirement for commercial sellers?
PentaxForums.com runs no advertisements, and we need a way to pay for our server, software, and maintenance costs in addition to voluntary donations. Hundreds, if not thousands, of hours have been put into the site by myself and others to bring you the best online community experience possible. When it comes to resellers- if you're profiting off of our service, we feel you should be obliged to help cover site costs. Additionally, requiring a donation to access the Marketplace adds another layer of security to the section.

5. What is feedback and how do I leave it?
See this guide: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/equipment-sale/78069-important-how-leave-feedback-guide.html

6. Does PentaxForums.com process payments for Marketplace items?
No. All deals are conducted on an individual basis between the two parties (users) involved. Although we do our best to prevent fraudulent listings, we cannot be held responsible for any losses that arise from use of the Marketplace. We are proud to state, however, that nobody has had their items or money stolen through use of the Marketplace to date.

7. What sort of item exposure can I expect on the Marketplace?
Comparable exposure to that on eBay, for most items. Our site is viewed daily by over 50,000 people and Pentax-specific items go fast. Over 10,000 items have been successfully sold through the Marketplace since 2006.

8. Is bidding allowed?
No. All items being sold must by coupled with an asking price, although negotiation and best offers are allowed.

9. How to buyers communicate with sellers?
Through the Private Messaging (PM) system. We ask that you refrain to include e-mail addresses with your listing, this will 1. not generate as much interest and 2. waive your privilege to have the site staff review or resolve any disputes.

10. How do most people make payments?
Through PayPal (some send paper checks as well). Site donations are also processed through either of these methods. We recommend PayPal as it adds a third layer of identity/address security.

11. I've sold an item. What should I do with my listing?
Mark it as sold using the controls provided in the "Thread Tools" dropdown. Also, make sure that you have left feedback for the buyer, and that he or she returns this feedback through the link provided in his or her notification PM.

12. What are the official Marketplace rules?
See this post: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/equipment-sale/137-read-first-marketplace...-policies.html

-----------------------

That's that for now! Please enjoy these changes, and please consider making a donation for our hours of effort.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow Adam.
Great stuff.
Only putting the marketplace higher on the forum list hierarchy can't be good for LBA!
Well done mate.
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #3

Kudos to you my friend, you've done a great job
11-09-2009, 01:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Awesome updates! And thanks for immortalizing me in one of your examples

11-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I think the response to this announcement is worth immortalizing as well
Attached Images

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-09-2009, 01:31 PM   #6

Thank you Adam for continuing to improve on the great pentaxforums!
11-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I admire your dedication in constantly improving this website, Adam.

11-09-2009, 02:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Wonderful improvements and thanks for all the effort!
11-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great improvements...thanks...

Have a question for you as well.

Is there any chance that when you contact a member regarding an item that the system could put the sale title in the title section of the message? Can't tell you how many times I have to go back and copy and paste the title in. In a sense it would be the same as repy in email.
Just a thought and thanks for a great site.
11-09-2009, 02:34 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Great improvement Adam!

I must admit I was a bit nervous when I went to my user CP and saw that Adam had personally (I'm sure it was an automated process really) closed and edited a number of my threads - I thought I was done for!
11-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Good stuff, Adam! Even an experienced Marketplace user as myself has problems remembering where all the useful buttons are
11-09-2009, 03:04 PM   #12

Overhaul

I'm pretty new to the forum, but neither to Pentax, nor the difficulties incurred in this project magnitude. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say thanks a million!
11-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, Adam (et. al.)!
11-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice work Adam et al. Dave
11-09-2009, 03:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Greatly appreciated

The moderators should be compensated for their effort. This is a wonderful place to circumvent EBay which is getting crazily expensive.