Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Accessory Reviews section.

Is there a way where we can make a reviews section for Flashes or Tripods, etc, wherein it would be like the Camera and Lens reviews section wherein the review won't get lost in the threads?
..like a dedicated accessories reviews section so a person seeking reviews for a certain accessory (tripod, flash triggers or flashes themselves) won't have to dig through the "search" bar.
I have seen a couple of times that a review for a certain accessory or equipment gets buried under all the new threads that the review becomes unnoticed or unimportant after a particular period of time.

11-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This has been suggested before and we will add it later down the road. Before we get going, though, we need an individual or a group to start compiling a list of accessories to place into the database under the following categories:

Flashes
Filters
Lens Attachments
Tripods
Monopods
Grips
Cases and Bags
Lens Cleaning
Miscellaneous

If you'd like to get us to roll out such a section sooner than later, we'd appreciate any help with populating said list. Software expenses for the addition will also be $220.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2009, 08:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

that's ridiculous ... so many different accessories and versions
11-16-2009, 12:31 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
that's ridiculous ... so many different accessories and versions
Sure, if you list them all!
It should be those that are used more frequently or the ones user's aquired/puchased that they want to share reviews of.
This is how new discoveries are made of new products or not so well known but useful accessories.
Just take a look at our accessories forum and you will probably find more reviews of lenses than actual tripods/monopods, flash/flash trigger, etc.
You would also get frequent queries about how this certain model (i.e.: tripods, or flash, or bag or has anybody tried it and such.
This would help if the reviews that had already been made were easily accessible and not buried under new threads.

11-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

As I said- best way to start this would be to have a user-built thread creatinga list of accessories. You'd have an original post listing categories, and then accessories can be added as replies.

Once it's big enough and I have time, I can then step in and start building a database.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2009, 11:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There is simplier solution to this.
Since we already have the different categories for the forum (e.g.: camera and studio accessories, field accessories, etc.), why don't we just make a sub-category for these and just list under the camera and studio accessories like "light modifier accessories review" and anybody can post a review and provide photos of what they are reviewing.
This would be a strictly review only section and comments (Q&A) can be kept to a minimum.
For the field accessories, a sub-category of "field accessories reviews"...so on and so forth.
At least with this sub-category and dedication to only reviews, items reviewed won't be buried under new posts or threads that are not review threads.
Would this work?
11-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

We've tried that before, and it really didn't. A dedicated database is definitely the way to go.

11-17-2009, 12:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If I could add my two cents worth I think having a database of accessories is a great idea. I can't begin to tell you how much time I have spent trying to find things order then end up having to return because they don't work out. On the other hand I have found some really good things as well. A recent post about the ACMAX screen protectors, the forum member was unsure due to it being sold on ebay. It turns out it's a decent item and the seller has great communication and delivers quickly. If anything this database could help out with decisions on bags and tripods. It's so hard to pick a bag based on the manufacturers information. I'm in the process of returning a bag right now because it didn't fit the laptop as it stated. I don't have a lot of items but I would certainly be willing to add what I do have.

Last edited by stl09; 11-17-2009 at 12:03 PM. Reason: spelling
02-19-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

An accessory review database is in the works, and I've now configured the software for it. As we populate it with categories, any specific suggestions are welcome at this time. We will allow users to add new third-party products, but we will index all Pentax products on our own to maintain uniformity.

This database will encompass all photographic accessories, as well as photo-related software.

Adam

02-20-2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tripods and Heads as seprate catagories

Perhaps Tripods and Heads could be broken up?