Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2009, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The new rules for the "General talk" area

I understand that the rules are to keep potentially heated discussion to a minimum in the general talk area, mostly to do with religion and politics.

I do feel however that the cap on the number of threads one can post related to these subjects is.. well.. a bit harsh. Or at least seems harsh when I read about it in the rules.

I don't really get into politics or religious discussions online so this doesn't really affect me, but I do have a suggestion. Instead of using what I felt to be a somewhat heavy-handed tactic to ensure compliance, why not create a "Religion and Politics" forum and set it up as a user group so that people can opt-in and discuss at will. This will also keep it hidden from regular General Talk users who do not wish to see religious or political discussions.

Just a thought

11-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Like you I don't really get into the "hot button" discussions online (they are much more fun in person anyway). To me they seem out of place on a photography forum, but we all have different interests and if this is a true community of real people topics people disagree on are going to come up. It smacks of censorship to slash legitimate, non-inflamitory discourse. So I like your idea of having a designated area to air these conversations. If members don't want to participate or don't care they don't have to read them.

That said I'd hope people realize that most of the community members come here for discussion related to photography. At least that's the only reason that I am here.
11-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
At this time I will not be adding a separate forum; however, if things don't work out down the road, I will reevaluate this.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This has been a long running issue and I think Adam and the moderators have done a good job defining a line between freedom of expression and abuse. Too much moderator time is spent babysitting adults that can't control themselves. The last thing the site needs is someone with an agenda (left or right) flooding the forum with threads.

The controls were put in place due to the behavior of a few. I think they are reasonable and if anything, I think we should be thanking the folks that run the site for putting up with it. It's a photography site, and it would have been much easier to ban religion and politics outright. Instead, they have defined a few rules to make sure things don't get out of hand.

12-03-2009, 02:51 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
This has been a long running issue and I think Adam and the moderators have done a good job defining a line between freedom of expression and abuse. Too much moderator time is spent babysitting adults that can't control themselves. The last thing the site needs is someone with an agenda (left or right) flooding the forum with threads.

The controls were put in place due to the behavior of a few. I think they are reasonable and if anything, I think we should be thanking the folks that run the site for putting up with it. It's a photography site, and it would have been much easier to ban religion and politics outright. Instead, they have defined a few rules to make sure things don't get out of hand.
You sure hit the old proverbial head of the nail with your comments SMC!
Thanks!
02-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I agree with the fact that sometimes the discussions are watched over a little bit too heavily but i do know that it takes baby steps. The site is in a comfort zone at the moment when it comes to such heated topics. They have a certain amount of control over these current situations and thats a good thing. However i do feel sometimes people do need a good history or political lesson to shut them up a bit but... hey! this is a photography forum.