Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
edit bug

Every time I preview a post, the double carriage returns are replaced with single CRs, thus breaking the markup translation when the article is posted.

Not sure when this started happening. A day or two ago, maybe.

11-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen the opposite happen, but not this. Try testing this with the basic editor rather than the WYSIWYG editor and let me know if you see any differences.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

test

test

test

test

[works over at my end!]

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-30-2009, 02:05 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've seen the opposite happen, but not this. Try testing this with the basic editor rather than the WYSIWYG editor and let me know if you see any differences.
I don't think I've ever used the WYSIWYG editor. I just use whatever pops up by default.

And, yes, it's still happening.

11-30-2009, 02:41 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Could you possibly provide me with some screenshots so that I can try to identify the source of the problem?

Also, which skin are you using?
11-30-2009, 05:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I had to look that up, since I didn't remember there were different skins! It's "Modern Skin (Red)".

Here I will start a new paragraph.

Then I hit "Advanced", which also sets up the preview. Whoops! it ate a CR, giving screenshot 1. After correcting the paragraphs, let me try hitting preview again.

Here's what it looks like first. Er, in screen shot 2.

And then in shot 3 after hitting preview the second time.
(I have attached these images.)
Attached Images

11-30-2009, 06:35 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

But the actual post output is consistent with what you originally wanted to be. This looks like more of a browser conflict than a bug in our software. What browser and OS are you using?

Adam

11-30-2009, 11:52 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Adam,

I am getting the same thing under IE8. Anytime I do a preview or other function while editing, the returned screen will have stripped out a CR. I'll admit that I never went ahead with a post before re-adding those CR's so I can't say I am getting the output as written. BTW, I am not using the WYSIWYG editor.

I have not checked other browsers yet but will as time permits. I can say it seems this behavior came about at the time of the roll-out of the xlation feature. But I might be wrong in that...
12-01-2009, 12:35 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If you're using IE8, make sure you have 'compatibility view' enabled. Otherwise, strange things can happen, even with properly-formatted websites.

I will test this myself on my other partition and get back to you with my findings.

Adam

12-01-2009, 12:46 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was strangely able to reproduce this while logged into a test account, but not while logged into mine.

I will check the editor templates for any possible usergroup discrepancies, as I have messed with those lately.

Adam

12-01-2009, 12:58 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice to know it's possibly a client side thing. But it is a new behavior on my end. Not a huge deal at all, just frustrating. I also have not done a Windows update for a while now so I know that has not changed (oh how MS likes to break things when they fix them...hehehe, after 15+ yrs Windows is still the same...never finished... )

FYI, it happens for me in both Compatibility and "regular" mode in IE8. If it matters I'm using the Simple Skin.

I wish I was still actively doing development, but after 25+ yrs of it, I got tired of chasing that ever moving target. I am sure ya know what I am saying there!!
12-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

btw, remember, if it is random it's a bug....if it happens every time...it's a FEATURE...hehehe...
12-01-2009, 01:02 AM   #13
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This isn't going to be easy to sniff out. It never happens when I post from my own account, yet it always happens when I try to post from a test account.

I have, however, confirmed that the translator isn't causing this.

Adam

12-01-2009, 01:06 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
This isn't going to be easy to sniff out. It never happens when I post from my own account, yet it always happens when I try to post from a test account.
I have, however, confirmed that the translator isn't causing this.
well that is at least some good news in it not being the xlator. Hang in there and glad you have been able to reproduce it under the test account. Odd one there, I would not think something like this would be associated with an account type. Still stanger stuff happens...

FYI notice that the extra BR/CR was stripped from your comment when quoted in this post.
12-01-2009, 01:10 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Found the bug- it was in a plugin I implemented to remove comments AND extra line breaks from HTML. The above behavior was actually a known consequence.

I will work on re-coding this somehow.